Ozkosh at Narromine

derekliston

Yeah it's for sure that I personally find airshows boring and annoying, but that's not the issue with my objection to them taking 4 hrs of the main day at our Narromine Fly-In. True fly-ins and airshows don't mix well - the airshow dominates and really screws up the fly-in. An airshow is a spectator event, while a real fly-in is a participation event, totally different game.....By closing the airspace for that long it forces all the rest of the recreational flying into the remaining time left. Just imagine, by the time the pylon racing is finished at 0800 there'll probably be several aircraft maneuvering around outside waiting to enter and then having to sort out their order of approach, meanwhile there'll be a que of aircraft on the ground waiting for a chance to take off. Then it's going to be a frantic two hours of dealers wanting to do as many demos as possible and flyers just wanting to have a fly, so the circuit area is going to be crowded and intense..... And it's not really a full two hours, cause you'll have to be careful how far out you go and keep a good margin so that you don't get caught out by the closure - (and then what do you do and where do you go to wait out three hours!) By the time it's open again it's early afternoon and not the best flying conditions and you don't dare have had a beer at lunch.... Traditionally at Narromine we roamed around the aircraft and met the owners and learned about different aircraft and often swapped rides to get the real feel of another aircraft. That has to be spontaneous with the freedom to go up when the mood is right.... Making an appointment for later is a real hassle cause both are liable to be involved in some other conversation and would need to break away from those visits.

I can't imagine anyone being inspired to take up recreational flying from watching aerobatics. They can see right away that the costs are so far beyond their means that it's not reachable. But I've personally inspired several newcomers to take up their dream of flying. When I see someone looking interested in my aircraft I engage in friendly conversation and ask if they're tempted to take up flying. The typical conversation goes as follows, and has been repeated many times:

Me - "Are you tempted to take up flying?"

He - "Well, I always dreamed of flying but family responsibilities and shortage of money didn't make it possible, but now the kids are gone and I have some time and money to spare, but I still don't know if I could afford it..."

Me - "Well it doesn't have to cost a lot these days. This aircraft cost me about $50k, about the same as a new 4wd, burns premium unleaded and gets about the same mileage as a 4wd, but goes 150 km/hr Xcountry with no doddering caravans or whatever in the way, and we do all our own maintenance which is easy with these engines these days. I built this one from a kit, really easy, just rivet it together, was lots of fun and very satisfying. There's lots of support and help around for beginner builders, and of course lots of advise...... If you do a good job, after a year it's worth more than it cost you, while a 4wd will be rapidly depreciating...... So it is really affordable and enjoyable and the best thing I ever did at this stage of life. Golf and bowls just wouldn't do it....."

He -"But where would I get training?"

Me - "Get online and go to www.raa.asn.au and there you'll find a listing of flying schools all over. Call one and arrange a Training Introductory Flight."

Me -"Would you like to go for a flight right now to see what it feels like??"

If they're really are interested of course they grab the opportunity. I explain what I'm doing all the way and insist that they take the stick for some gentle turns, and then I can feel their excitement! Well now, I reckon that's introduced several, if not many, new flyers into the game, over the years that I've been doing it, many of those times at the old Narromine Fly-Ins , and at many other venues:. But I wouldn't want to try to fit in that hectic gap between airshow activities in the morning, and at lunch I want to have a sit down to rest the weary feet. and a beer. and swap stories with old friends for the rest of afternoon.

I reckon one hour of aerobatics late in the afternoon would be all that a good fly-in should have to tolerate. But of course that wouldn't bring in the paying drive-in public who are required to fund the airshow. So how about if the all the airshow activity was moved to Sunday?? It would still attract the drive-in public, and leave our main day free for the real fly-in participants. And then I and many others could head for home right after Sunday breakfast, very satisfied after an enjoyable Narromine Fly-In.

JG

I absolute agree with this assessment,a lot of people can't come before the weekend and like to come on Saturday, but closing,for a air show,3 Hours from 10 O'clock,In my opinion one hour is more then long enough.

But I will be there ,I love that the flyin is coming back to Narromine .

• Agree 1

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolute agree with this assessment,a lot of people can't come before the weekend and like to come on Saturday, but closing,for a air show,3 Hours from 10 O'clock,In my opinion one hour is more then long enough.But I will be there ,I love that the flyin is coming back to Narromine .

Also have to agree that closing the airspace for three and a half hours (15 minutes before and after the airshow) is on the long side. I was surprised when I read this. Anyway, time will tell how it works out. We're hoping to be there if the stars align for it (my wife's mum is very ill in hosp) and we're looking forward to this becoming a major event for Rec flying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So with the Event rapidly approaching, do we yet have a meeting place/time organised for RF forumites?

My plan A was to fly in with my Max. This isn't going to happen because I have still to do my first flight in it.

Plan B was to fly in with a Jabiru. This isn't going to happen because the guy who owns the plane doesn't want to mix it with lots of peoples in the short entry time slot.

This is crazy planning - please, next year, make the airshow on Sunday so (low hour) pilots have Saturday to fly in, & Sunday morning to fly out. Departing in a limited time slot is not as challenging as arriving - divergence as opposed to convergence is less likely to lead to tears.

Anyway, meeting place anyone? And visible i.d.?

Bruce

• Agree 2

So with the Event rapidly approaching, do we yet have a meeting place/time organised for RF forumites?Anyway, meeting place anyone? And visible i.d.?

Bruce

Well 'Jetjr ' did offer his hangar ( post #23 )..... Bob

Theres a shady grass area to the south of Hanger 14

So how about we specify a meet there? What about anyone interested turning up on the grassy knoll at, say, 12:00 Saturday? I might even get around to making up a 'Soleair' sticker to display about my person. . .

Sorry you can't make it Ian. Was going to buy you a beer as appreciation for running this site. Maybe next year.

Bruce

• Like 2