Ozkosh at Narromine

derekliston

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark , the engine is still undergoing final testing and, my understanding is that it will be considered as a mod. to the existing certified engine. Ie. Same bore and stroke as existing 2200 .... Bob

That combination has done the trip to Narromine plus 2 hrs, only assemble days ago

Another version has done 1000 hrs in test room, max rpm, max conditions

Older version with several changes done 300 hrs in aircraft

4 cyl may be ready by end of yr

Yep shortly afterwards, worth noting this has been 4years in making so far.

Yes that's my understanding also , ie to get the 2200 finalised soon, followed by the 3300 in the new year ....Bob

Yes Rod said they would be a little cheaper, I'd bet not much.

Not sure how there's a middle man cut out, if anything it's only on machining cases

Simply cheaper because casting is cheaper after originals made, also no doubt coming from overseas- a sad thing for AU and something that has bitten Jabiru repeatedly in the past with quality control

The casting looked very nicely done,

OZKOSH was busy Friday and PACKED Saturday. A huge success I say, and it takes a bit to impress me. Well done organisers, displays, seminar presenters and catering. And well done to all those who flew in.

• Like 1

Yes, Saturday was (as The Donald would say) YUUUUUGE!!! We had Legend of Kitty Hawk and her sister ship on display and the interest was amazing. So many enquiries and so many kind words about the Legend. We were rushed off our feet and loved every minute. Thanks to all who stopped by, it was great to see you.

• Like 2
  • More 1

I've just returned from the inaugural OzKosh and I fully endorse all the comments here . It certainly exceeded my expectations and I was duly impressed . Well done to all the organisers , and looking forward to the next ..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A small group of Quirindi Aero Club members flew in against a headwind. Saturday arvo presented a great opportunity to go with the flow, so we left in the mid afternoon, having given the trough and its associated turbulence enough time time to get well ahead of us. With a tailwind of 20 to 25 kts the trip home was awesome!

Thanks to OzRunways, I was able to keep tabs on where the other aircraft were and maintain a few nm separation. 125kt ground speed most of the way home and just a bit of mechanical turbulence as we crossed the Livepool Range. Well done Narromine, a great weekend!

• Like 1

A small group of Quirindi Aero Club members flew in against a headwind. Saturday arvo presented a great opportunity to go with the flow, so we left in the mid afternoon, having given the trough and its associated turbulence enough time time to get well ahead of us. With a tailwind of 20 to 25 kts the trip home was awesome!Thanks to OzRunways, I was able to keep tabs on where the other aircraft were and maintain a few nm separation. 125kt ground speed most of the way home and just a bit of mechanical turbulence as we crossed the Livepool Range. Well done Narromine, a great weekend!

Nice to catch up with you mate and glad to hear you got home safely .... Bob

• Like 1

And to the Savannah who did a big orbit of Coolatai Airpark and then headed off over towards Aerokits before resuming his course, Thanks for rubbing it in! No I didn't get to go to Ozkosh. Maybe next year.

• Haha 1

And to the Savannah who did a big orbit of Coolatai Airpark and then headed off over towards Aerokits before resuming his course, Thanks for rubbing it in! No I didn't get to go to Ozkosh. Maybe next year.

I can simpathise with you Rank, I hap a superstol fly over and some funny yodel pilot ring me to let me know how enjoyable it all was:sad angel:

Ok Rank, I'll bite. Mr. Google can't find Coolatai Airpark.

A bit north of warialda, I think if you go to the airstrip section in this forum you can see a pin there:wave: actually I have friends that must only be 10-20 ks from rank as the crow flies and have promised I would fly up there one day, maybe a trip for the YQDI flyers should be organised:thumb up:

• Agree 1

I flew over on Thursday, had a great day Friday, but chose to leave on Saturday morning rather than Sunday as planned due to South Australia's weather forecast. Glad I did! Today's weather here certainly would have made it difficult to say the least. Two other upper Spencer Gulf flyers who attended made the same decision. We had 30 knots on the nose as far as Cobar, but it progressively dropped off after that. We listened to the radio traffic while on this leg and it was non-stop arrivals, so Saturday must have been huge.

My impression was that it reminded me of the early Natflys at Narromine - the place was just buzzing and the freedom to wander amongst all the aircraft in an easily accessible space was welcome. The catering by the Aero club, the Gliding club, Rotary and private vendors was excellent and affordable, the trade displays were well presented and well attended, and the showers were steaming hot no matter how well used. The two forums I attended were well worthwhile. Even the brown snake we chased away from between aircraft must have been having a good look!

Well done organizers, we have been missing an annual event of this calibre.

• Like 3

19-7466 was Steve Donald on his way back to here at Caboolture from Ozkosh. I was watching him on Ozrunways coming home and saw him doing orbits over yours and reg's place..texted him and thats what he was doing....rubbing it in hahahahaha

I flew over Saturday and back Sunday. Fantastic turn out - rolled the swag out under the plane and was excellent.

My view from bed Sunday Morning

IMG_0767.JPG.6b4af1281619bb468efe33402e7bb107.JPG

• Like 4

I too was there and enjoyed myself thoroughly , a great event , great atmosphere , and great fellow aviators, however I must mention an incident that happened on arrival around Friday lunchtime. I was traveling with a friend ( I am saying this constructively and by no means making a complaint about any of the hard working and generous volunteers that gave their time up to make Naromine the success that it was) Anyway getting back to the incident.

On aproach and about six or seven miles north of the field, with about seven or eight planes inbound at that time there was a call to Naromine requesting a straight in aproach for 29 , I had guesed that it was a fast plane from his distance out and his arrival time however I can't remember what the responder said in return as it was not all that clear , anyway we and the plane that had asked for the straight approach were all five minutes from the circuit.

On arrival at the circuit and just about to join cross wind the other plane called again asking if he was okay to come straight in and once again I did not understand the call from the field except that it was positive, the pilot then did an inbound call saying he was two miles out , not two mile final

Just after turning downwind we ie. my friend in front and me behind were requested to do a wide base, now I must tell you at this time that my friend who came to Australia quite some time ago from Europe who both speaks and understands english very well was struggling to decipher the unclear calls plus as you well know the amount of radio traffic from arrivals was incredible . Whilst looking downwind I could see the approaching twin on long final just as my friend with his eyes now on the freshold turned base , after some more radio chatter he was asked to go round by the chap on the ground which he did , incident over.

Now what are your thoughts on this , I belive the volunteers on the ground worked their guts out and were under tremendous pressure on the day however perhaps they might need to be much better briefed and trained before the event to be more authoritive with unwise requests.

Do you think as I do that perhaps there should be some rules put in place for these big high traffic events such as not allowing time consuming straight in approaches also we as pilots need to be aware that in these high traffic situations that we might think outside the box and think of the other seven or eight pilots in close proximity who will be as nervous as hell about approaching what could be their first circuit into a big event such as Naromine

• Haha 1