Tablet size for EFB

matt walsh

Hi all, I'm contemplating purchase of a computer tablet for navigation use in the cockpit of my Savannah G aircraft and seek other pilot's comments on choice of screen size and which is the more popular size and why. I am inclined to Samsung Galaxy S2 tablets which come in 8 and 9.7 inch screen size. Though stating the obvious, the larger screen should be easier to read but is it too large a size for the cockpit?? Cheers and thanks, Matt Walsh at Penfield, Victoria.

I carry a Tab S 9.7 which is really too big to mount on my panel so carry it "loose" in the cockpit and look at it as needed.

If you have room to hard mount it, great! It all depends on your aircraft and room to fit.

If I was making or designing a panel, I would try to fit around a 10 incher in a fixed position....

• Like 1

I have a standard iPad and an iPad mini and have been using them interchangeably for a few years. ( don't know exactly how they equate in size to the Samsungs). I have not till now mounted either -just hold it as I use it then put it aside when not in use - slide it down the outside of my seat or on copilot seat or lap etc.

Anyway yes the big one is a little easier to read but it's actually a minimal difference which you get used to really quickly. The needed info is still visible and you can scroll around easily.

The size difference effect on ease of use is quite a lot. It is easier to use the small one and getting used to the bigger size is not so easy as the small one.

Enough that personally I think ease of use trumps screen size/visibility. Enough so that I am in the process of building a fixed mount for the mini iPad. It will attach to the door sill and swings the iPad front/left side of pilot but closer to the door so it's out of way of the dash.

Just my $0:02's worth.

I am looking at the moment for an Ipad...I think an Ipad Air 64gig or 128gig with wifi and cell would be the best size and power for my Sportstar panel...the Ipad mini is to small and the full size Ipad is to big..so the Air is the one for me...

David

I would go for the bigger size as it is much easier to read, but if you are young and have no need for reading glasses the smaller sizes could be O K

Plenty of room in a Savvy.

Hi Matt,

I use an iPad mini with AVPlan on a kneeboard in my Savvy. Diagonal screen size is 8". Works fine for me. Can show you if you like.

Cheers,

Neil

I mounted my iPad Air on a simple clamp bracket with Velcro. It sits out of the way and in a comfortable reading position easy to use the touch screen while still resting my elbow on the armrest I installed in my Sav. It also keeps it cool and out of the sun

image.jpeg.3695f3f4b640e9bc09821d5873ffbcbc.jpeg

Tablets other than Google tablets (i.e. Nexus brand) can have bloatware. Nexus phones and tablets are the first to receive the latest Android updates and software repairs. My Nexus 9 (230mm diagonal screen) has just been updated to Android 7.1.1.

The advice of your navigation software provider is also a consideration. e.g Ozrunways recommend the Google Nexus 9 if you are using the Android version of their software..

• Like 1

Hi all, I'm contemplating purchase of a computer tablet for navigation use in the cockpit of my Savannah G aircraft and seek other pilot's comments on choice of screen size and which is the more popular size and why. I am inclined to Samsung Galaxy S2 tablets which come in 8 and 9.7 inch screen size. Though stating the obvious, the larger screen should be easier to read but is it too large a size for the cockpit?? Cheers and thanks, Matt Walsh at Penfield, Victoria.

I have both an ipad(work use) and and ipad mini(mine). They are about average in size for the general tablet. I found personally the larger ipad gave a magic viewing size but I couldn't find anywhere in my Jabiru where it wasn't in something elses' road. So I just put it on the seat beside me. The ipad mini gives a usable screen size and it fitted nicely on top of my instrument cowling without getting in too much of the way. I have it on a fold down bracket to fully clear my field of vision when landing/T/off.

Incidently I have had 2 Nexus 7s (1 a warranty replacement) and both went blank while in use, never to go again. Excellent while it worked though.

I've got the Samsung tab A at 8" and find it excellent mounted on the panel of my Nynja. Easy to read and reach. I like its compact size.

• Agree 1

Tablets other than Google tablets (i.e. Nexus brand) can have bloatware. Nexus phones and tablets are the first to receive the latest Android updates and software repairs. My Nexus 9 (230mm diagonal screen) has just been updated to Android 7.1.1.The advice of your navigation software provider is also a consideration. e.g Ozrunways recommend the Google Nexus 9 if you are using the Android version of their software..

Love the Nexus 9 (and 7) but both are not now obtainable brand new. They are unsurpassed (IMHO) and you can still pick them up 2nd hand via EBay. The competitors have bloatware but the storage capacity can now handle the fat so you might have to consider Samsung's etc. Enjoy

I have both an ipad(work use) and and ipad mini(mine). They are about average in size for the general tablet. I found personally the larger ipad gave a magic viewing size but I couldn't find anywhere in my Jabiru where it wasn't in something elses' road. So I just put it on the seat beside me. The ipad mini gives a usable screen size and it fitted nicely on top of my instrument cowling without getting in too much of the way. I have it on a fold down bracket to fully clear my field of vision when landing/T/off.Incidently I have had 2 Nexus 7s (1 a warranty replacement) and both went blank while in use, never to go again. Excellent while it worked though.

Nexus 7s can be fixed by a reload of the OS. You might have to ring around to some repair shops - usually run by very smart young kids. Or you could flog them on EBay. My 2 are going just fine.

Nexus 7s can be fixed by a reload of the OS. You might have to ring around to some repair shops - usually run by very smart young kids. Or you could flog them on EBay. My 2 are going just fine.

coljones I would love to resurrect and be able to use my nexus7 as a backup. Do you have any idea what causes them to go blank though? I hear they have charging issues but mine went blank while using them.(not while navigating) It's been sitting around for a year but I'm willing to have another shot.

Hi Alpipete - do you have a separate GPS or does the tablet have an inbuilt GPS good enough to quickly pick up a signal? My Tab 3 (SM210) is often reluctant to get a signal which can be very frustrating.

There are 2 issues with EFBs. 1. They must be a minimum size to satisfy as a map replacement, I think it is 8". 2. The GPS is not TSO and can't be used as the primary means of navigation. You are not permitted to trust it.

AvPlan or OzRunways can advise of the legality of your intended purchase of a pad so check with them first about any other stuff you need to carry.

Love the Nexus 9 (and 7) but both are not now obtainable brand new. They are unsurpassed (IMHO) and you can still pick them up 2nd hand via EBay. The competitors have bloatware but the storage capacity can now handle the fat so you might have to consider Samsung's etc. Enjoy

Nexus 9 tablet is available on eBay

Guest alpipete
Hi Alpipete - do you have a separate GPS or does the tablet have an inbuilt GPS good enough to quickly pick up a signal? My Tab 3 (SM210) is often reluctant to get a signal which can be very frustrating.

Yes this tablet does have a built in GPS,just make sure that you verify this with your sales person now on crazy boxing sale here in NZ for $ 150

I have an iPad mini and used to have an iPAd... tome the more important consideration is memory size and processing speed. AvPlan is easy the biggest thing on my iPad and takes up around 1/3 of my total iPad memory at times...

The processing speed occasionally causes it to crash....

So more important than screen size will be memory size and processor... having said that we have a cheap aldi tablet as a backup, cost $75 and is a perfect backup using screenshots only.

Good timing for this topic guys. I am currently using an early Ipad but am looking at a Samsung Tab A 8", has anyone had any processing (or other) issues running OzRunways on this device.

I am running Ozrunways on a Samsung S8.4, no problem with processing or freezes. Just a little disappointed at the development speed of the Android version, missing a lot of features of the IOS version.

I fly alot with a friend using a Mini iPad, if I wasn't so biased against Apple I would have bought one for the added capability with Ozrunways.

If I were to replace this tablet with another Android I would probably look at the Samsung S2 for its faster processor (Compared to the Tab A)

coljones I would love to resurrect and be able to use my nexus7 as a backup. Do you have any idea what causes them to go blank though? I hear they have charging issues but mine went blank while using them.(not while navigating) It's been sitting around for a year but I'm willing to have another shot.

Hi toady - try this Fixing Black Screen on Nexus 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com PS which version do you have? With or without the rear facing camera?

• More 1

I am running Ozrunways on a Samsung S8.4, no problem with processing or freezes. Just a little disappointed at the development speed of the Android version, missing a lot of features of the IOS version.I fly alot with a friend using a Mini iPad, if I wasn't so biased against Apple I would have bought one for the added capability with Ozrunways.

If I were to replace this tablet with another Android I would probably look at the Samsung S2 for its faster processor (Compared to the Tab A)

Hi Tasmag, cheers, however you are at least using the Samsung S which I believe is a faster processor than the A. Interesting that you mention the added capabilities with Apple, I didn't realise that there were different capabilities however having tried it briefly on a friends Samsung I did notice that the screen interface appears a little different.