Light plane crash in Riverland

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the farm owns the aircraft - none I know of do - it would be illegal otherwise

Its usually a paid service (commercial) and keeps junior ag pilots busy

The ones I know of at least

• Agree 2

Pilots doing bird scaring work would always have low level endorsements,plenty of experience and often Ag rating or working towards one.

However! Unfortunately,it`s the one they don`t see or forget that was there, that get`s them!

• Agree 1

It would be interesting to see an up to date price but when I looked it was well over 100k to buy.

Drone tech to do the job is out there but the expense to set it up is prohibitive, much easier to pay a local aggie.

• Informative 1

Spraying from drones especially helicopters very limited and expensive. Only feasible where aircraft cant do it.

Not much aerial application in horticulture anyway. except maybe Bananas?

AT 802 and others way more efficient, rotary and drone simply don't have capacity or speed. Cost per ha would be huge and way too slow.

Helicopters used where powerlines or topography prevent aircraft or ground application

I reckon you would be right about an electric drone not being effective. But I have heard about big engine model planes being used. One of these using drone guidance might be ok.

Real planes and people are too expensive and risky, surely the same money spent on a couple of guys with shotguns and quad bikes would be just as good and a lot safer.

In the meantime, the farmers have my sympathy. I wish the bureaucrats and lawyers would sometimes get told that there was no money for them this year on account of how the birds had eaten everything.

When almonds young they are green peach like fruit and they can tear it open. Not always eating the nut itself. Most damage Ive seen is from various parrots - all protected natives of course - and they easily crack shell open. Almonds not that tough

They use plenty of quads and shotguns but try writing a SWMS for this activity. Let alone problems they face if a bird actually gets shot.

Some of these orchards are thousands of hectares and lots of these around.

Couple of points to disagree with you Bruce, young Ag pilots looking for hours are quite cheap and Id reckon a larger drone inc operator way more cost per hr than a old Warrior.

• Like 2

That's ok. I fly a raven - easy to tell apart .

Ravens are a far better class of pilot than any silly crow. And beautiful when up close. The easy tell from afar is the beard on the neck.

Sorry - I will take my Raven fetish elsewhere.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ravens are a far better class of pilot than any silly crow. And beautiful when up close. The easy tell from afar is the beard on the neck.Sorry - I will take my Raven fetish elsewhere.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

I think he is just raven on...... 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

• Like 1

Ravens are a far better class of pilot than any silly crow. And beautiful when up close. The easy tell from afar is the beard on the neck.Sorry - I will take my Raven fetish elsewhere.114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

oh dear .... call the medic, I think he's off his meds again ...

Dr Kasper,

please we talked about this.

I agreed not to wear the suit in public.......remember that.

And you agreed what I do in the cockpit is never mentioned.

And we both agreed medication levels are not exact.

• Haha 1

They have been using this method for at least 20 years now with very few incidents.

Power line caught the undercarriage and looks like he made an aircraft carrier style landing only taking out a couple of very young trees,

Would have probably been a different outcome if it had been into the older orchard.

But this method is far safer and more effective than quads and shotguns

• Agree 1