Is this considered a Serviceable or Unserviceable aircraft condition?

Then you have a Cleary duty of care and obligation to report it immediately to RAA.Kaz

Thanks for the advice Kaz. RAA have been aware of this aircraft for over 12 months. There have been a number of reports as I understand it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a retired LAME I would not consider that aeroplane to be even close to serviceable. Having said that, I have seen some appalling maintenance or lack of it, in GA also. One of the problems in GA in my opinion ( Note that, my opinion) is that CASA only concern themselves with paperwork. They do not, in my experience anyway, inspect the airframe. As far as building an aeroplane, I'm sure you could do it, particularly if you use a reputable kit. Savanna and Brumby come to mind or Jabiru if you want glass or plastic depending how you look at it. As far as maintenance goes, if you can service a car you should be able to look after a simple aeroplane. Point being that maintenance should not be neglected.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Then you have a Cleary duty of care and obligation to report it immediately to RAA.Kaz

That is deeply concerning. IMHO (perhaps not so humble) no-one should be enticed into that aeroplane if the photos are truly representative of it condition.

A phone call to CASA sounds like the next step.

Good luck

Kaz

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

Pics like this make it hard to argue.

Aircraft like this do nothing but harm to the hobby/pastime and make it harder for everyone who wants to build and

.maintain their own aircraft.

24 reg so probably owner is L2

Makes me cranky

Not all LAMEs are perfect I can assure you ! There are good ones and bad ones and I've met both, I've have an aircraft unserviceable after an annual with parts fitted wrong and that's on a basic C172. I'm a motor mechanic and L2 and no one will ever touch my plane unless I watch and it's unlikely anyone else will ever touch it !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Geoff 13

I would like to see your LAME friends evidence, and a few photo's of a poorly maintained plane does not do that without much more information.

My partner is not convinced building and flying an aircraft is a good idea.. He is not helping my cause, evidence or not.

Rubbish. If you were capable of building a plane safely and to a suitable standard you would be capable of maintaining it.

I agree.

I have confidence I can build and maintain an aircraft. There are many online resources to help guide and I have 2 LAME friends/customers to ask advice.

More rubbish. Pics like this without context show nothing.

I disagree.

If its in use, it shows a whole lot.

Why would the owner be an L2 just because it is a 24 Rego

My assumption , based on the premise that I would not pay anybody a cent who thought they could maintain my aircraft like that.

This thread and many of the posts appear to me to be an excuse to bag RAA without proof or reason.I have no problem bagging someone or an organisation if there is evidence to show but I don't see any here.

I am not bagging RAA.

I am bagging the maintainer of that aircraft if it is flying.

There is not even any evidence to show that the photos in the OP are even the same aircraft as shown in Post #6.

Have a good look

I will leave the last smart arse remark alone.

Geoff 13

I disagree.

If its in use, it shows a whole lot.

I actually agree with that comment but your photos do no prove it is in use.

My point was that the photos alone do not justify the comments on this thread. If that aircraft is registered and flying then I would agree with many of the posts but a few photos with no explanation proves nothing., hence my comment about the packer press, they are very good at using sensationalised reporting using photos with little evidence.

• Like 1

DEREK

As far as building an aeroplane, I'm sure you could do it, particularly if you use a reputable kit. Savanna and Brumby come to mind or Jabiru if you want glass or plastic depending how you look at it. As far as maintenance goes, if you can service a car you should be able to look after a simple aeroplane. Point being that maintenance should not be neglecte

Can certainly service a car. Have an old Hiace work van purchased 15 years ago 110,000 ks.,

Now has 501000 ks . has been in a mechanics shop once for a new exhaust and they Fxxxed that up!!!!

Am about to remove and rebuild a ej 20 turbo from a forrester after an timing belt idler pulley failed due probably from not being replaced at 100k service with previous owner.

Have restored old valiant including rebuilding everything, steering, suspension, brakes, engine, auto transmission, bodywork etc always fixing something

Fix computers when needed and have radio/electronics as a hobby

Partner wants a BRS and I would prefer it to. This probably rules out a JAB

Would prefer 4 seats

. looked at the Sling 4 at Evans Head Fly in ,very nice.

New VENTURA from ICP [savannah manufacturer] looks Good too

Brendan

Not all LAMEs are perfect I can assure you ! There are good ones and bad ones and I've met both, I've have an aircraft unserviceable after an annual with parts fitted wrong and that's on a basic C172. I'm a motor mechanic and L2 and no one will ever touch my plane unless I watch and it's unlikely anyone else will ever touch it !

Ain't that the truth! Some of the stuff I've found on supposedly serviceable aeroplanes in for 100hrly could really scare you!

• Agree 1

DEREK

Can certainly service a car. Have an old Hiace work van purchased 15 years ago 110,000 ks.,

Now has 501000 ks . has been in a mechanics shop once for a new exhaust and they Fxxxed that up!!!!

Am about to remove and rebuild a ej 20 turbo from a forrester after an timing belt idler pulley failed due probably from not being replaced at 100k service with previous owner.

Have restored old valiant including rebuilding everything, steering, suspension, brakes, engine, auto transmission, bodywork etc always fixing something

Fix computers when needed and have radio/electronics as a hobby

Partner wants a BRS and I would prefer it to. This probably rules out a JAB

Would prefer 4 seats

. looked at the Sling 4 at Evans Head Fly in ,very nice.

New VENTURA from ICP [savannah manufacturer] looks Good too

Brendan

Not really a fan of ballistic recovery chutes. Once it opens it is beyond your control and could potentially drift you into powerlines, buildings etc!

i have seen wide body airliners that have flown for unknown hours with damage as bad as cracked spars, and critical primary structural components corroded to a point they no longer exist..

you get badly maintained aircraft at all levels, just as you get exquisitely maintained as well

• Agree 2

How about the one at Bundaberg Queensland, that's been abandoned from NEW, nine years out in the weather, no wonder the rego reads VH-ILL.

The owner is going to do something with it (one day), delaminated prop, etc.,

Will they Fly it out?

spacesailor

I Have a LAME friend who says RAA is full of death traps.Told my mrs that I should not build an aircraft because its too dangerous to maintain yourself

Pics like this make it hard to argue.

Aircraft like this do nothing but harm to the hobby/pastime and make it harder for everyone who wants to build and

.maintain their own aircraft.

24 reg so probably owner is L2

Makes me cranky

Obviously your LAME friend is prejudiced against Raa aircraft. I think he/she needs to realise what RAA is all about.

• Agree 3

I think it would be hard to say that the photographs proved lack of maintenance. There appears to be rusting or corrosion, but they don't prove that it has reached a dangerous stage. Loose or incorrectly installed safety wires do not cause an accident. It certainl looks poor, but it may well appear better in the flesh.

The conclusion I am jumping to is don't jump to conclusions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

How about the one at Bundaberg Queensland, that's been abandoned from NEW, nine years out in the weather, no wonder the rego reads VH-ILL.The owner is going to do something with it (one day), delaminated prop, etc.,

Will they Fly it out?

spacesailor

GA not RAA, I wonder if the LAME will say the same about the GA death traps..lol

Obviously your LAME friend is prejudiced against Raa aircraft. I think he/she needs to realise what RAA is all about.

Yep.

When I build , I will have him over to inspect the dodgy EAB aircraft.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

The other LAME I know says go for it. Just get him to inspect a few times along the way.

He has a few mates with EAB aircraft.

Yenn

Do your comments imply the aircraft is serviceable? Would you jump in?

• Agree 1

No they don't imply that it is servicable, but that there needs to be an inspection by some person, rather than some photos. For many years I used to be a keen photographer and I know that the camera does lie. I am not saying that the photos were fiddled with or that the photographer had some concerns. What I am saying is that it is hard to draw a conclusion from what we have been shown. Some of the shots were way out of focus.

I certainly wouldn't get in the plane to fly without having a very good look all over it. but the same applies to any plane RAAus or GA.

• Agree 3

It doesn't look any different to the average plane that's been landed on salty beaches and not attended to. Galvanised buckets rust , or try a jap motorcycle ridden through salt water. Rapidly becomes utterly worthless. Nev

• Agree 2