PA28 down near Traralgon - 2 shaken, not injured.

"Two people have had a lucky escape after a light plane crashed in Traralgon on Thursday afternoon.

The plane came down in a paddock next to the Princes Highway and the Latrobe Regional Airport about 1.25pm.

Paramedics assessed a man and woman who weren't injured, but were shaken by the crash."

Photo here:

Lucky escape after light plane crashes near Traralgon

Oi! Pipers are good (except for the 1 door thing) - they are honorary Rec Aircraft ;)

Not judging the pilots choice of landing field (as we have no idea what the circumstances are that compelled the forced landing), that field doesn't look to make it very easy for a forced landing, so I'd say he's done a bang-up (pretty good - but pun sort of intended) job of it.

I know a bloke who had an EFATO in an RV - made a bit of a hash of it, ended up in hospital for almost a week - nothing permanent nor major - his comment: "P|$$ed off I made a hash of it; problem is it all happens much faster when you're not expecting it".

Oi! Pipers are good (except for the 1 door thing) - they are honorary Rec Aircraft ;)Not judging the pilots choice of landing field (as we have no idea what the circumstances are that compelled the forced landing), that field doesn't to make it very easy for a forced landing, so I'd say he's done a bang-up (pretty good - but pun sort of intended) job of it.

I know a bloke who had an EFATO in an RV - made a bit of a hash of it, ended up in hospital for almost a week - nothing permanent nor major - his comment: "P|$$ed off I made a hash of it; problem is it all happens much faster when you're not expecting it".

We've had a few in RA who've simply let go at altitude when the engine stopped Jerry; no guessing where they arrived.

Light plane crash at Traralgon

Here is a decent unbiased non Cessna related report from someone in the local media about the incident/ accident

Excellent Alf!

The article states:

"The male pilot was coming into the base leg of his landing and noticed the power on the engine was dropping, he advanced the throttle and ended up with no power," Sgt Sinclair said.

"The plane was at about 800 to 900 feet when the incident occurred. He looked for a safe area to land where he landed about one and a half kilometresfrom the airport on private property."

If this is correct, it would seem that the pilot was flying 747 circuits because he should have been able to glide to the runway.

There is a lot to be said for tight circuits and glide approaches in small aeroplanes, rather than the current practice of dragging them in nearly flat fro miles out.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Excellent Alf!The article states:

"The male pilot was coming into the base leg of his landing and noticed the power on the engine was dropping, he advanced the throttle and ended up with no power," Sgt Sinclair said.

"The plane was at about 800 to 900 feet when the incident occurred. He looked for a safe area to land where he landed about one and a half kilometresfrom the airport on private property."

If this is correct, it would seem that the pilot was flying 747 circuits because he should have been able to glide to the runway.

There is a lot to be said for tight circuits and glide approaches in small aeroplanes, rather than the current practice of dragging them in nearly flat fro miles out.

Kaz

It does seem there is a current trend for huge circuits, but you never know this poor guy may have been forced wide by someone else doing a bigger circuit in front of him.

It does seem there is a current trend for huge circuits, but you never know this poor guy may have been forced wide by someone else doing a bigger circuit in front of him.

That's one of the big differences between GA and RA training. RA teach tight circuits, in GA engines never fail........

• Like 2

And when I next see Jo I'll congratulate her on not saying the engine stalled :)

Also thank her for not saying it was a Cessna

Thank goodness there is the odd journo out there that has some tact and class and some pride in how they report

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Excellent Alf!The article states:

Kaz

and he still landed 1km from the strip; but glide approaches can be tough; I practice them often and don't always get it right. But the main thing is no-one's hurt.

• Like 1

I wonder if he was doing a base join? That would account for being further out. He had been touring so wasn't practicing circuits so could easily have been doing a base join.

Good job on making it walkawayable.

• Like 1

I wonder if he was doing a base join? That would account for being further out. He had been touring so wasn't practicing circuits so could easily have been doing a base join.Good job on making it walkawayable.

Interesting, if he was (or even if he wasn't) we just learnt one of the disadvantages of not overflying the field.

• Agree 2

That would probably depend on the nature of the power failure... Was he in a descent and one to many shock cooling events that caused the engine to throw a crank shaft or something? Was it Fuel starvation (though there was no mention of a prior surge which is common on those lycs)? The wx should be good at the moment, but if it was high humidity and moderate temps - was there carb icing - esp with the butterfly valve closed in a descent (happened to me - advancing the throttle does not much); The power issue (and I use power intentionally) may have occurred at that point on base - regardless of whether he was doing an overhead join or not... If course, if it was the shock cooling, he would have been in the overhead first, but just because he was doesn't mean he would have flown a tight circuit anyway. But fuel starvation/exhaustion may have occurred slightly earlier if it was straight in and he remained in cruise until overhead.

Will the ATSB investigate (or commission an engineering assessment of) this or will the ATSB rely on pilot reports.. I am always interested in what happened because I am sure (or at least hope) the pilot did more than just open the throttle on losing power - but putting more detail in a newspaper report would be lost on Joe/Jill public.

Much the same as here. The pilot would be expected to make a report to the AAIB (which is summary of facts and a self-analysis of what the pilot felt contributed to the accident/incident) and it would be published in the AAIB bulletin.

Unless the good Sergeant was piloting aware herself (and I assume "Jo" is an abbreviated female cognomen), it appears she was reading from the statement the plot gave her. Still, that still does not detract from the good work done by the reporter in preparing the story.

It seem that reporters outside the metropolitan areas take more care to produce factual news than those in the cities. I wonder if it is because the locals would actually know the reported and be in a position to praise or damn a story on the local pub.

OME

Looks to me as a typical case of carbie ice. Descending at low power, the engine is being driven by the prop. You advance the throttle and nothing happens, next step carboe heat and you may get lucky. To get away from this possibility I like to always be high on approach, than the engine can do whatever it likes and I can lose height by using flaps or slipping. Never get so low that you need power to make the strip.

Of course we do not know what the real cause of the accident was, but that is my guess.

As far as shock cooling goes, I wonder if shock cooling can cause an engine to fail as it occurs or if it can cause a crank to throw. I was always under the impression that shock cooling was the cause of excessive wear and failure in the future. Current thinking seems to be that shock cooling is nohere near as bad as it has been made out to be, rather similar to running over square as another OWT.

• Agree 1