Cyclone Debbie! Aircraft Owners,Be Pepared.

farri

This is what happened to the boats left in the Port Hinchinbrook Marina at Cardwell, when Cyclone Yasi hit the area back in February 2011

Boats that had been taken up some of the mangrove tributaries of the Hinchinbrook Channel, survived...In the Cairns port, boats that size are taken up the Cairns inlet, as far as possible, among the mangroves.

There have been several similar size boats moored in the Mulgrave river, here at Deeral for many years! When ever flooding or a Cyclone is expected, the boats are taken up into a mangrove creeks which runs in where the Mulgrave and the Russell rivers meet, these boats have never sustained any damage, either from flooding or Cyclones.

Frank.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Takes me back to my one and only trip to Mission Beach.

First commercial vehicle in after Yasi loaded with a Generator for the emergency evacuation centre.

What a humbling experience.

I could possibly write a book about it but the people I met on that journey will stay with me forever.

What was so funny Win?They evacuated the Green and Red map areas.

I located the maps and the tide data and was plotting the status right through the night; I sent you a message offering to send data if you were in a low lying area, but got no reply, which didn't surprise me because my son was caught in the brown zone, and his phone went out early.

The Emergency centre were predicting a 2.2 metre storm surge early in the night which put the water a street or so away from his unit.

Shortly after, the cyclone started tracking southwards towards Mackay with an arrival time coinciding with high tide, and I thought we'd lost him, but then the cyclone slowed down to 30 minutes behind high tide, an hour behind, two hours behind, then sped up to an hour behind, and it was obvious that when it crossed the coast, a lot of drainage had already occurred and it was going to hit on an outgoing tide, even though still a lot closer than predicted, so we dodged a bullet.

Easy to laugh about it now, but I wouldn't think the people in East Mackay who copped knee deep water through their homes would be seeing the funny side.

I don't think too many people evacuated. Where were they going to evacuate too??? My wife took the kids to work at the Hospital and stayed there. I didn't believe the evacuation order and stayed home with the cats. You just have to laugh when they say evacuate. It's happened two times since we've been in this house now and I'm bugger if I know where they think we are gong to evacuate too.

There was a lot of mis reporting in the media concerning storm surge height. There were wave height buoys recording 8m and 10m wave heights which the media jumped on and reported as surge heights yet to arrive.

• Agree 1

There was a lot of mis reporting in the media concerning storm surge height. There were wave height buoys recording 8m and 10m wave heights which the media jumped on and reported as surge heights yet to arrive.

One advice I heard over ABC from co-ord center in lead up stated surge height at 0.8m and wave surge predicted to max 2.4 m. That would be a correct ball park likely hood hence the evac decission. Good and constant info given out during lead up and after. Our current mayor as the ability to give very clear and to the point mesages with is what we all need at these times. At times no ABC but could get outer radio stations on FM and AM. Will I expect be on the to look at list after the event.

Storm surge is an abnormal rise of water generated by a storm, over and above the predicted astronomical tide...It’s the change in the water level that is due to the presence of the storm...Since storm surge is a difference between water levels, it does not have a reference level.

Storm tide is the water level rise during a storm due to the combination of storm surge and the astronomical tide...Since storm tide is the combination of surge and tide, it does require a reference level...A 15 ft. storm surge on top of a high tide that is 2 ft. above mean sea level produces a 17 ft. storm tide.

Frank.

A cyclone is a deep rotating low pressure system. Think of it as a "suction" relative to the surrounding areas of the cyclone. The bigger the difference, the more the local sea level will rise. Suction is not the scientific term as all barometers read pressure and a total vacuum is when there's none. IF the eye (centre) of the cyclone crosses the coast at the same time as the tide would be IN it compounds the effect. ( adds to the tide or any other( as onshore wind for example). Waves are generated at sea also and the resultant large swells travel hundreds of kilometers and cause lots of coastal erosion and big seas that may persist days after the cyclone has moved. You have basically four factors. Tide due to the moons gravity. Onshore wind when occurring. Waves generated a distance away and the low air pressure of the atmosphere at the cyclone eye, pressing less on the sea surface Nev

No offence champ, but in this day an age there is no excuse for putting yourself into a cat 4 cyclone when you are that close to land.. I think you also said put up a stormrsail, which would last all of a few seconds in those conditions. This just goes to show your understanding (or lack) of sailing in those conditions. The best place to be is not at sea. Stop trying to justify you comments, its was utter nonsense in the first place.

I am not offended at all but you seem to be. A stormsail is not something you set and forget, it can be had in many sizes and be reefed as needed. My advocacy was always to get away from the storm and follow good practice of the ages.

The photos and comments of others are a fair judge of my level of understanding, stupidity or nonsense.

I am surprised if you took the time to read my long post, that you still appear to misunderstand my words.

And my name is not champ- it is Litespeed or Phil.

• Like 1

Down here in Capricornia we still have no idea of what damage there is in Proserpine and area. The ABC is only giving news of the flooding in SE Qld and NSW and even more to the coming flood in Rocky. It sounds as if the end of the world is coming listening to ABC radio and it was predicted to be 9.5m, which I doubted, then reduced to 9.4m, then to 9m. The airport closes at 8.5m. but I doubt that it will get to the predicted 9m mark. With several days notice of any flood in Rocky I wonder how people can leave their cars on the street to get submerged and then claim insurance, it has happened in the past and they could find unflooded ground within a couple of kM.

• Agree 1

Yenn

Down here in "outback" Sydney, we had car's driving in our garden (BLuodi cheek) When I parked my vehicle to stop them ruining my flower-beds they were very irate.

then the council came with a ten ton truck to put the SES boat onto my garden, later they tried to bill me for the broken footpath.

spacesailor