Cyclone Debbie! Aircraft Owners,Be Pepared.

farri

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck guys,

I hope those that can have flown the coop to safety- anywhere two hundred miles west or more sounds a better idea than battening down and hoping.

I also hope all the guys with boats-sailing have gone to sea for safety- nothing more dangerous than a boat at anchor in a cyclone. Best to head out to deep water and ride it out- far safer than in port.

Good luck guys and keep your head down.

• Like 1

North Queensland battens down as Cyclone Debbie intensifiesFrank,

Ps,Left out the r in Prepared...Can`t edit.

Hi Frank tied down the plane inside the hangar on Saturday. Now as you know just wait / ride it out and we'll see how we are on the other side. The track is the usual eratic canges of direction as it approachs the coast. Hopefully over a lesser popular area. Regards Mike

• Like 2

I also hope all the guys with boats-sailing have gone to sea for safety- nothing more dangerous than a boat at anchor in a cyclone. Best to head out to deep water and ride it out- far safer than in port.

All the sailors I know opt to push up into mangrove line creeks and tie off to multiple trees. Calm water, sheltered by mangroves than can take a flogging. Worst case you rub up against a muddy bank or bump into some mangroves.

I have been at sea in a force 10, no way I would be out there in a cyclone, thats crazy talk.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

We are just 20 k south of Proserpine, its getting really blowy now. The house is vibrating, the hangar roof is flexing, and still 4 hours till it crosses the coast. Had to go up on the roof a while ago to screw down a couple of flappy bits, felt like "Captain Dan" in Forrest Gump.

• Like 2

Looks like you can relax a little Frank .... Bob

Yeah, Bob! for this one!....Official end of the Cyclone season for Queensland is the end of April....From memory, I`ve been through 5 Cyclones! I don`t get too carried away with what might happen, there`s only so much anyone can do...Take it as it comes and pick up the pieces after it`s gone...For the Cairns area, we`ve been warned to expect, up to 90 klm wind...It`s so still at the moment, I couldn`t fly a Kite.

Not funny to be tied to mangroves if there is a big storm surge. Yesterday I heard ABC mention a surge up to 7m.

It`s anything but funny, but it`s the best chance of surviving for a lot of boats...

Frank.

Preparations need to be made well in advance and everyone needs to have a safe shelter before it gets bad enough,by the time it`s getting bad enough, it can be far too late and extremely dangerous, to do much of anything.

• Agree 2

SPECI YBHM 280133Z AUTO 27075G122KT 0900 // BKN008 OVC010 34/34 Q////RMK RF00.4/019.4

Alternate required?

Doesn't sound like paradise on Hamilton Island today.

Wind speed above VSI is bad news, but above Vne? You've got to be kidding!

Best wishes to all in the affected area, trust there's enough screws in the hangar roof.

• Like 1