What did you learn to fly on?

We all have one thing in common - we had to start somewhere. Whether it was the military, GA, RAAu, gliding, whatever, we all started training to get into this game. In a similar vein to the thread "What made you a better pilot?" I thought it might be interesting to find out what your first training aircraft was. Whether it's a Jab, a Tiger Moth or anything in between.

I'll get the ball rolling. I learnt to fly in 1968, and my training aircraft was the Beechcraft B19 Sport 150, or baby Musketeer.(Photos below). It was a 2+2 tricycle gear GA trainer, ie., it had a small bench seat in the back to hold a couple of kids.After I got my Restricted PPL (could carry pax but only in the training area, I moved up to the 4/6 seat B23 Musketeer. Then my school changed from a Beechcraft fleet to Pipers, and I continued on Warriors.

1823438029_Beechcraft_Sport_VH-CFF_Moorabbin17-09-1968.jpg.d2f4af5beaa9a3fa2ff42908db12d243.jpg

546242253_BeechB19Sportpanel.JPG.3b2df72343bf22e598f71a3239bdaefa.JPG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my flight training in a Tecnam Eaglet, but completed my certificate and started hiring Lightwing GR912 at my new school. Why did I change? Distance to the airfield was a big one for me, 20 minutes instead of 2 hours to get to the airfield. Also the cost, $200/hr vs $250/hr. Hiring the plane was the same, $149/hr vs $170/hr.

Tony

• Like 1

First flight was at the age of 17 on a Kawasaki KL250. I hit a roo just on dusk, flew through the air for what felt like minutes and when I landed I was pleasantly surprised to discover I was still alive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Winner 1

I started learning to fly by jumping off the cliff at Beachy Head (UK south coast) in a Wasp 229B3 hanglider. This was a bit of a 'leap of faith' as a mate & I bought it for a hundred quid, and then just jumped off the cliff.

My first power flight was in 1979, after I built a Pterodactyl kit I imported from America. I taught myself to fly this, as at that time there were no schools for microlights, & in any case no licence or airworthiness requirements existed.

I finally had lessons, & gained my PPL, in a Super2, when I worked for ARV.

arv-super-2-cutaway-drawing-4577296.jpg.a5b3fac3da2bdb33462ff2eff99364cd.jpg

Bruce

99289024_Wasp229B3.jpg.58725ff81fa3d0ac59b75210a6fbc288.jpg

1230605726_Pterodactylbrochure.jpg.d5570badea884396008e81ba9a0c9443.jpg

Super2.jpg.cc319a036555c7f622b3bcffe066ef59.jpg

• Like 1

Chipmunk DHC-1 with electric start on 145 HP Gypsy Major, then DH 82 Tiger Moth, which I think are pretty good planes to learn on. I was a bit lucky there as they soon disappeared from the training scene. Nev

Auster J3(?) at RQAC Archerfield in late 1962, then moved onto brand new Cessna 150's at Air Academy, (the 'new' school), at Archerfield in early 1963. AF was an 'allover' grass paddock at that time on which you followed the aircraft ahead, looked for a green light in the tower, then landed to one side of that aircraft. On stopping, you turned left and taxyd clear. Then - we were fitted with new-fangled VHF COM sets and our flying lives were never so simple again! Sigh!

1982 ? - piper tomahawk (s) $ 30 & $ 33 per hour (the instructors were raking it in)

flew a tomahawk a couple of years back - compared to an ultralight a tomahawk is heavy and stable - not unlike a kitchen bench ............. with wings

Further to post #1, after I completed my Unrestricted PPL (cross country), I moved up the V-tail Bonanza the school had on it's training/hire/charter line. Later they added a lease-back Piper Arrow which I also checked out on. Along the way came marriage and kids. Ceased flying in 1986 due to family and financial limitations. Could only afford the minimum 3 hours in 90 day renewal requirement each 2 years, which I didn't feel was sufficient to remain proficient.

I intended to teach myself (age around 12) in a home built weight shift contraption - luckily I ran out of packing case timber and plastic wrap before finishing it!

First flight ever was in an army Huey at Cadet camp. Then started hang gliding at a school in the dunes at Kurnell. I lived in the NW of WA at the time so that was not going to work long term.

Finally learnt to fly in a Blanik L13 (glider) at Whim Creek WA, then C152 and Jabiru (RAAus). Three 'first solo' so far!

RAF Halton around '62, when a day of gliding consisted of alternately holding up and holding down a wingtip, as per attached pics.

There was lots of variety: when the wind changed we got to do the other wing. I became so good at this, they had me doing it all the time.

Gliders were Sedberg.

There were also Cadet Mk2s which were a sort of wet crowbar disguised as a glider. That's one on the right, I think.

I actually got to fly one, once, and for many seconds. Mostly sideways.

upload_2017-5-27_23-0-14.jpeg.a8a9c508b8697dbce47f8fcfd1e3ddb7.jpeg

upload_2017-5-27_22-59-14.jpeg.9a3d223dd0192208f9066732837d489e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I learnt in a Ikarus C42 at Clench Common (farm grass strip) in Wiltshire, SW England. Then started converting over to RAAUS when I got back to Oz out at YBOO (Jab), now finishing off nav/xc at YPJT (Sportstar).

First flight was at the age of 17 on a Kawasaki KL250. I hit a roo just on dusk, flew through the air for what felt like minutes and when I landed I was pleasantly surprised to discover I was still alive.

Bill Grieve moved his mobile flight school down to my airstrip about three years ago, I had a very enjoyable 12 days in his Savannah XL, almost forgot to mention that.

Victa Airtourer 115 at Darwin Aero club in 1970. $15 an hour (dual and solo). My instructor was Geoff Chapman and the examiner was club CFI "Johnno" Johnson, an ex fleet air arm pilot. The 115 I did most of my training in, VH-DAM, was destroyed in cyclone Tracy, Xmas eve 1974. I did my licence test in VH-APV which was also damaged in the cyclone but I believe it was subsequently rebuilt.

Victa airtourer AT 115 in 1970. VH-MVF. I think it was $14an hour dual. I know I could hire a 100 hp Victa wet for $11.50. VH-CNO. It was later destroyed but I know where the engine is!