near beaudesert...2 deceased

Sociology can be a fascinating subject to study at times; we often overrate ourselves, we often buy the opposite of what we preach etc.Being above average doesn't help you much when a catastrophic mechanical failure occurs, or when the accident is caused by negligence of a third party.

I have a friend who has been hit and rolled over in a marked police car in Melbourne's CBD - twice! On both occasions the approach and hit were behind the eyesight arc, so there was no warning before the hit.

In the 1980's, when we were tightening up safety in speedway in Victoria, four highly skilled speedway drivers were killed in accidents on the road, where their considerable skills, at legal speeds, were not able to make a difference. That sort of thing makes you ask some interesting questions about your own methods of staying safe of the roads.

My concern is with all the drug drivers (and the prescription elderly drivers) these days that are coming towards you.

Including the amount of people having these patches with morphine or fentanyl or tablets - The amount of elder drivers on these is alarming and still hold a drivers license.

I know two people that have crashed wearing these. Followed one I knew and they were all over the road like a drunk driver, clipping centre lines etc.

Why has this not been addressed. The numbers must be huge and dangerous.

Not look at the illegal drug drivers - get me off the road.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how Autonomous Emergency Braking systems would handle a runaway engine.

I can nearly guarantee you they haven't even thought about that, along with a million or so other scenarios; the stories are beginning to surface around the industry of just what a monumental task it would be to supplant the human brain. Reminds me a bit of Ford and GM's gas turbine Prime Movers; the jet age had arrived!

I have had an engine belt break; it powered the steering and brake boosters. Luckily I was on level ground and understood instantly what had happened. The results could have been tragic if it had happened to a less experienced driver on a steep road.

• Winner 1

Interesting comments about spin recovery. Prompted my recollections about my PPL in the UK some 40 years ago. Spin recovery was part of training and on your General Flight Test the examiner put the aircraft into a spin so you could demonstrate you could recover. Not taught in Australia for some reason.

I did incipient spin recovery in my GFPT training in 1992 in a PA-28. A little later, did full spin recovery in a glider. Sitting in the front seat of a Puchatek seeing my feet, then about 3000 feet of air, then the ground spinning slowly beneath that is a sight that is burned into my memory!

• 4 weeks later...

So it reads like it was a deliberately induced spin from about 4500' . No mention in the prelim report of the position or condition of the yoke. Did the student freeze on the controls and keep the stick pulled back?

So it reads like it was a deliberately induced spin from about 4500' . No mention in the prelim report of the position or condition of the yoke. Did the student freeze on the controls and keep the stick pulled back?

Really both dead how would you think anyone could determine the position of the stick or if the student froze on the controls.

Interesting comments about spin recovery. Prompted my recollections about my PPL in the UK some 40 years ago. Spin recovery was part of training and on your General Flight Test the examiner put the aircraft into a spin so you could demonstrate you could recover. Not taught in Australia for some reason.

Harrison

Spins were part of the syllabus when I learnt to fly in the 80's and I did mine in a 152 Aerobat and I continue to practice them both solo and dual, the dual practice is good because someone can put you into the spin while you have your hands off the controls, feet off the rudder, head down and eyes closed then you have to recover, first port of call, turn coordinator, airspeed and VSI those three will tell you if it is a spin or spiral dive and recover accordingly.

For some reason people are afraid of spinning an aircraft, spinning if you put it there intentionally is no big deal, spinning if you put it there unintentionally to me means you shouldn't be flying, it is a major deal and will probably kill you.

Aldo

• Like 2

Spins were part of the syllabus when I learnt to fly in the 80's and I did mine in a 152 Aerobat and I continue to practice them both solo and dual, the dual practice is good because someone can put you into the spin while you have your hands off the controls, feet off the rudder, head down and eyes closed then you have to recover, first port of call, turn coordinator, airspeed and VSI those three will tell you if it is a spin or spiral dive and recover accordingly.For some reason people are afraid of spinning an aircraft, spinning if you put it there intentionally is no big deal, spinning if you put it there unintentionally to me means you shouldn't be flying, it is a major deal and will probably kill you.

Aldo

Maybe that was because there was an Aerobat on the flight line; I think spins might have died out long before that in most schools/clubs.

That was possibly for two reasons:

1. The quite high number of fatal accidents, possibly caused by starting the spin too low, and component failure.

2. The training process in GA, where an instructor was usually a brand new CPL, low hours and still without the necessary skills to cope with all student upsets.

• More 1