Wingly takes off in Europe

Greg_Oz

That is a rather interesting new business model. What is even more interesting, is that all flights are backed by insurance, covered by Allianz.

Can't see it happening here, though, what with CASA interference, and local insurance companies backing away holding out a cross, whenever insurance for pax on private flights is mentioned. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

I don't know what the insurance payouts would have been on the fatalities in the recent CareFlight crashes - or if there were any? 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

That is a rather interesting new business model. What is even more interesting, is that all flights are backed by insurance, covered by Allianz. Can't see it happening here, though, what with CASA interference, and local insurance companies backing away holding out a cross, whenever insurance for pax on private flights is mentioned. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

I don't know what the insurance payouts would have been on the fatalities in the recent CareFlight crashes - or if there were any? 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

It won't happen here because CASA expressly forbids any form of public notice advertising for cost share private flights, as does the FAA.

Would CASA buckle under pressure from a "new business model", and eventually allow Wingly to operate? Uber has broken the regulated taxi industry, despite all the taxi industry regulations designed to make it an exclusive club.

This is the era of "standard business model disruption". AirBnB is killing the hotel and motel industry, as well, despite a multitude of hospitality industry regulations and laws.

Would CASA buckle under pressure from a "new business model", and eventually allow Wingly to operate? Uber has broken the regulated taxi industry, despite all the taxi industry regulations designed to make it an exclusive club.This is the era of "standard business model disruption". AirBnB is killing the hotel and motel industry, as well, despite a multitude of hospitality industry regulations and laws.

Our aircraft industry at the bottom end is not regulated like the taxi industry, but has a greater risk potential which is addressed by ICAO, through CASA in terms of Pilot Qualifications, and Aircraft suitabiliity and safety standards. If you have a Commercial Pilot Licence and can achieve the aircraft standards, perhaps by cross-hiring, you can go for your life, just like the Uber driver.

Angel Flight is an organisation that brings together people wanting a seat and pilots wanting to help. It's a bit like Wingly for sick people but it's free for the passenger and pilots get free fuel. It will be interesting to see what happens to this model when the ATSB brings out the report for the Mt Gambier fatalities. Im guessing CASA won't be able to resist making more regulations.

It won't happen here because CASA expressly forbids any form of public notice advertising for cost share private flights, as does the FAA.

It's a pity we don't live in a democracy in which case we the people would tell CASA what we require.... 058_what_the.gif.7624c875a1b9fa78348ad40493faf23c.gif

• Agree 2

Not with this government ,Casa & Raa,

Something will have to change as stagnation will bring about revolt.

Too many flyers are grounded by bureaucracy, Too thick a neck smacks as picking on the deformity "Goirter" (Derby-Neck) is an infliction of the Thyroid gland.

spacesailor

Disruptive businesses like Uber and AirBNB have positives and negatives, but I wouldn't lump them together.

With AirBNB someone with property can put whatever price they want on their place and make a fairly high rate of return. With Uber the driver works for fairly minimal wage, no sick leave, no super, and responsible for the maintenance & depreciation of their vehicle.

What it all comes down to is the line between "taking a friend for a joyride and having them contribute towards the running costs", and "running a business for profit".

If Wingly, or any other service that matches passengers to pilots, does so without the pilot making an actual profit from the journey, then I can't see that it's commercial in the least - for the pilot. The company may turn a profit, but that has nothing to do with the pilot.

I recently used a house-sitting website to get someone to look after our house while we go on holidays. I got someone reliable to mind our dogs, they get free accommodation for 5 weeks, and the website gets $20 from me. Am I running a business for profit?

On the other hand a mate of mine has a house on AirBNB and he gets about $300 a night for a property that would usually rent for $300 a week. He's definitely running a business for profit.

Apples and oranges.

Just like the taxi industry running, crying to the govt to outlaw/regulate uber.

They current "paid for service/rpt" industry would start a campain to undermine Wingly through lobbying casa and public fear mongering.

I'm hopeful the wheel is slowly turning back to where individuals can determine their own risks and responsibilities.

The world changes, that's s fact. Once vibrant industries can become redundant. Just a fact of life.

• Agree 1

Disruptive businesses

Now there is a term that I hate with a passion.

It appears that the term was dreamed up by people to belittle good competitive businesses that dare to think outside the square.

I think that smart innovative businesses better describes most of these internet based companies.

As for UBER drivers my son in Law after taking some good advice set himself up properly and did quite well as an Uber Driver thank you very much.

• Like 1

As for UBER drivers my son in Law after taking some good advice set himself up properly and did quite well as an Uber Driver thank you very much.

Good on your son in law, if it works for him that's fine. I'm only going on recent reports that the average Uber driver gets about $20 an hour. Obviously someone in a major city who picks their times to work will do a lot better than that.

Good on your son in law, if it works for him that's fine. I'm only going on recent reports that the average Uber driver gets about $20 an hour. Obviously someone in a major city who picks their times to work will do a lot better than that.

You wouldn't be hearing that from the ABC would you.

Our local ABC appear to be getting paid off by the Taxi council on this issue.

I have a friend who owns taxi licences, he any I have some great arguments on this issue.

The one thing he doesn't like is actual facts being quoted as it waters down the fear mongering campaign put out by there council.

• Like 2

Once the executives in CASA see how lucrative a "VP of Government affairs" salary is worth at Uber, many millions a year plus unlimited travel, they'll roll over on this sort of flying. Safety is important but so is keeping Uber happy.