Low level pass, stall spin. 2F

It's a Russian prang so we'll never see any sort of official report on it so I'll offer some 'average pilot' musings...

I'm not familiar with the aircraft type though looking at the size of the propellor i'm guessing it is fairly low horsepower. i.e., not much engine energy reserve. As the old instructor told me years ago, energy reserve is what makes flight possible and is either height, speed, or extra horsepower. Having all three cards up your sleeve is happy days.

When the subject aircraft went past the ground observers it looked to me as though there were a rapid elevator control input (sudden jerk of controls) to establish climb. I'd suggest that would extract a high drag reduction from the speed energy reserve. The subsequent turn after clearing the trees would put a further drag induced drain on the energy reserve.

Why the aircraft ultimately spun in... ?

Sometimes the obvious is not the answer. Perhaps the pilot had an unknown heart condition. The sudden positive G's followed by the low G's clearing the trees, then followed by the turning G's may have caused a brief blackout...

I'd say he stalled because his angle of bank was way too steep for his speed. Pretty simple in my book.

I’d say you are correct on your assumptionEither way the pilot contributed wholly to his and the passengers demise

Just another “ hey watch this moment”

Painful to watch seeing such stupidity. But then if you watch the dash cam videos that come out of Russia you can gain a great insight into some of the risky behaviour traits.

Classic turning, inner wing stall.

For new pilots take note!

45 degree bank increases stall speed 20%

60 degree bank increases stall speed 40%

75 degree bank increases stall speed 100%

Classic turning, inner wing stall.For new pilots take note!45 degree bank increases stall speed 20%

60 degree bank increases stall speed 40%

75 degree bank increases stall speed 100%

Without wishing to get into debate/argument that is probably a bit simplistic without including “straight & level”.

Stall speed increases at the square root of the wing loading. Not that I am suggesting it is a good idea to be using those angles of bank close to the ground.

Aircraft is (was) a Kappa Sova, all metal with retracts, 912ULS and often a variable prop, built in the Czech Republic.

KP-2U.png.bfc1cffd61a70f03eb25a1f70aeb0a8c.png

There are a few of them here in OZ, thought to be a nice plane.

Yep, another one of those, "Hey, watch this," moments.

Aircraft is (was) a Kappa Sova' date=' all metal with retracts, 912ULS and often a variable prop, built in the Czech Republic.[ATTACH=full']54845[/ATTACH]There are a few of them here in OZ, thought to be a nice plane.

Yep, another one of those, "Hey, watch this," moments.

I don't understand why it was going so slow it nearly stalled when they pulled up to make the turn. Absolute madness could only end one way.

It's a Russian prang so we'll never see any sort of official report on it

Everybody in the world sleeps with 2 layers of cover.

That is also a blanket statement.

SK confirmed the death of two people in a plane crash in the Republic of Khakassia – Russia news today

Everybody in the world sleeps with 2 layers of cover.That is also a blanket statement.

SK confirmed the death of two people in a plane crash in the Republic of Khakassia – Russia news today

I stand corrected.

Do you have a link to the accident reports for the other aircraft prangs in Russia ?

Guest Guest

There's a bit of show off in all of us, the breaking point is knowing when it's simply too risky, and doing so in an aircraft is about as risky as it gets!! Loss of contol in flight is the single biggest cause of accidents/deaths there is.

I don't understand why it was going so slow it nearly stalled when they pulled up to make the turn. Absolute madness could only end one way.

Also, at 285kg empty weight and 450kg MTOW, two up it's very likely already overloaded if it's carrying any useable fuel. I briefly mussed about one of these in the classifieds a while ago.

As a fanatical observer of Russkie car wrecks, especially car vs. train wrecks, I'd say that this accident is only natural in Russkie Land. Seems to me, after watching thousands of their totally avoidable wrecks, that they say "Honey, let's go out & have a head-on collision today!"

It also makes me wonder how in hell Hitler.....lost!

I don't need to show off, I have a pilot licence.

The way I see it, the plane was already much slower than most would fly for a buzz, fly-by etc.

I'd say he was lining up for a river ditching. Engine problems... no fuel, failing fuel pump etc. the thing suddenly burst into life catching him unawares, climbing and the engine failing again, just as he was desperately formulating a new plan in his already totally overloaded head.

If it was still developing cruise rpm on impact, there would be visible damage to the prop.

Who knows how any of us pilots might react in the same situation with literaly only seconds to formulate a plan with the river being (in his mind) the better option for a forced landing.

Consider also it may well have been the passenger at the controls after the pilot became incapacitated....

Just my Aus$0.02 cents

WBY

Also, at 285kg empty weight and 450kg MTOW, two up it's very likely already overloaded if it's carrying any useable fuel. I briefly mussed about one of these in the classifieds a while ago.

My Sabre has just clocked over 1500 hrs , can’t fault it, MTOW is now 544,