Battery query

I left the master switch on for a fortnight. (Yes, I know, kick me!) Will my Odyssey battery recover or should I just get a new (expensive!) one?

I don't want to have it suddenly die away from my home field. I have recharged it and it seems alright.

Battery is marked 2011 manufacture, but it has been going fine.

I left the master switch on for a fortnight. (Yes, I know, kick me!) Will my Odyssey battery recover or should I just get a new (expensive!) one?I don't want to have it suddenly die away from my home field. I have recharged it and it seems alright.Battery is marked 2011 manufacture, but it has been going fine.

Did much the same with my Odyssey. Apart from trouble getting the charger to actually charge it, it has been working well for over a year.

I agree, difficult to charge with a modern automatic charger. I used an old fashioned manual charger on the lowest setting. ( this prevents any calcification that forms on the plates from case-hardening).

The battery recovered twice from the same operator error and 8 years later, was still going strong.

Recently, my Odyssey in my current plane would not start my engine when it was cold. I replaced it with an AGM a smidge bigger for a fraction of the cost and get instant starts in any temp, even in -7C. Could not be happier.

WBY

I left the master switch on for a fortnight. (Yes, I know, kick me!) Will my Odyssey battery recover or should I just get a new (expensive!) one?I don't want to have it suddenly die away from my home field. I have recharged it and it seems alright.Battery is marked 2011 manufacture, but it has been going fine.

I replace mine every 5/6 years whilst still working fine and it eliminates a let down at an inconvenient time - I just regard it as normal maintenance.

I never get the same time (reliably) out of a car battery.

Design life, 8 to 12 yrs... ODYSSEY battery - Design Advantages

For those using CTEK chargers( which are brilliant) Odyssey advise use of "snowflake" setting and a minimum capacity of a 7 amp charger.... http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf

I believe they are not optimally charged by a standard lead-acid charger and require a higher voltage for optimal charging. Hence the "snowflake" (cold weather) CTEK charging.

I am not impressed with Odyssey, they are expensive and do not last as well as they are advertised to.

Last time I replaced on I got a Full Rivers battery. It looks the same a an Odyssey and has been going well for I think 4 years now, which is about the limit for Odyssey. My lasst two starts in the Corby, which has the Odyssey have had to be boosted with a jumper from a spare battery in my car.

Other than being Yellow, Full River is another Odyssey. The same models are also in Black and branded Genesis.

They are all good Batteries, however last time i replaced mine I went with an industrial type of similar specs for a quarter the cost.

All AGM batts are not tolerant of going below around 10V. If you can get to charge again, it should be OK. Normally I dont succeed with these

PMMcI think your battery will be fine with a recharge, Oddesys are a good battery.

Buy yourself a ITech 900cca jumper pack

Not much bigger than a IPhone 8 and can start a 5lt Diesel over 30 times before a recharge is required.

Comes with USB ports for iPad & phone charging, 12v & 240v chargers in a nice carry case.

Will run a Engle fridge for up to 10 hrs on one charge

All up weighs about 800 grams

$249 off the net delivered WA company

I got one works well and takes up no room in the plane

D263ED42-3345-41D7-9C83-BBA1DA6D024B.jpeg.f60e4aeb70d4ac51aa06d827d732a0d8.jpeg

BFD2C4F5-B5CC-41ED-B47F-B5BB423F1AA6.jpeg.1536cd5b55751dd7178ce663c8008905.jpeg

I replaced it with an AGM a smidge bigger for a fraction of the cost and get instant starts in any temp, even in -7C. Could not be happier.

So what is the batt if I may ask?

So what is the batt if I may ask?

I just went to my local friendly battery wholesaler here in the map of Tassie and bought what is probably a generic battery that they put a sticker of their own brand name on. Even with their probably 300% mark-up, I still paid an eye-watering $94.00 for something that came from, you know where...

Ask for an AGM, sealed, zero maintenance type. The one I settled for had significantly higher CCA (cold cranking amp) rating and boy, I was not disappointed.

The combination of the factory original battery and aero oils in very sub brass monkey temps meant starts were totally up to wether the planets were in suitable alignment or not. Not a good look with students duly arriving at their appointed times, wondering why their trusty steed is un-cowled and lifeless. again.....

WBY

"ITech 900cca jumper pack"

These are most likely a Lithium ION POLYMER battery type, prone to catching fire even when being stored and I don't think suited to being carried in aircraft. Look up LIPO battery fire on youtube.

Previous discussion on here about the difference between these LIPO and Lithium IRON batteries (LiFE) which are much safer

After saying all that they are a great bit of kit and despite the warnings the technology is no doubt improving.

Problem was something to do with cell isolating materials which could be damaged, starting fire, It cannot be extinguished.

I thought "Depleting" Any battery was Not good in it's life cycle.

who knows, I lose an awful lot, one died this week, never let it go under 50% charge, then it was flat as a tack & won't recharge, when connected to battery bank it gets 7 volts only ( for a few minutes) when checked with 12 v 50 A lamp.

spacesailor

Its deep discharge that damages batteries mostly, leaving a master switch on is about the worst as it will take the battery all the way down, aeroelectric scheme I posted will automatically stop test at 10v. If regularity documented you get early warning of failure and can eliminate a future surprise at a point where you may be dependant on needing battery capacity.

I'm back

The battery's stone cold, still connected, So hooked the Solar charger and it reads "13.3V to 14.7V" (jumping all over the place) but is not taking any charge at all.

I guess its another for the bin.

spacesailor

I have seen a car 'push" started, with low & behold, two 6V dry cell "lantern" batteries, it worked, and when they ( we) connected the 12V car battery it charged it up.

spacesailor

I bought a 900 cca  jumper pack

The 1st time practice use On a diesel, the wires over-heated & dropped off, Quick replacement when returned tho.

Still have the replacement but have reservations about using it.

spacesailor

The CCA rating is pretty misleading, no way the supplied leads can provide power, 900 cca,  to a really flat battery and start the engine

instructions often say to leave connected for a while then start.

Luckily most situations where engine wont start arent a dead flat battery

Jabiru need a high crank speed - near full voltage- to start. In this case jumper pack would work well.

trouble is if theres a battery problem like short or collapsed cell this will waste jumper pack power too

MY DIESEL  needs pre-heating, which drains any residue from a suspect battery, making cranking slow.

When I connected the "jump-start" I switched on the pre-heater, then cranked. But it didn't crank as the leads fell-off.

I would like to try a small "LIFE" battery to see if it could work any better  than a Lithium ION POLYMER battery.

The vehicle battery is 140 cca, ( two 70zz battery's), Lots smaller than a 900 cca  Lipo battery.

spacesailor

Careful with the Full River batteries - they are not necessarily like-for-like with Oddysey.

I bought the equivalent for my aircraft, and while it's essentially the same battery, the positive and negative terminals were opposite to my installation, so I couldn't use it. Wasn't going to rewire everything just for that.