DreamWorld and the importance of training records.

I dont agree but lets say you are correct

Youve outlined why more restrictions and rules doesnt work and stifles innovation

At some stage of development safety systems can become counterproductive

• Winner 1

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The earlier B747's had myriad warnings that came on mostly in the TO Phase.. In the light of experience the number was drastically reduced to essential items only as an aborted TO is not without risks and false warnings are not uncommon. Nev

The proof of that is in the accident statistics, which rarely involve people of low IQ

Do you have some evidence for this? I've not been around many accidents/incidents, but those I have seen, are generally the "not so bright".

Do you have some evidence for this? I've not been around many accidents/incidents, but those I have seen, are generally the "not so bright".

If you really care about this, I'd suggest you start with the ABS; you have hundreds of thousands of cases to choose from. They won't be quoting an IQ for every case, but a hint is that surveyors and other professionals are above your criteria of "low IQ" or "not so bright".

And then there is the dopey cops who threatened to arrest me for a breach of WHS laws in a public place. WHS is not much more than a method of achieving a compliant society when rational argument or discourse are beyond the capacity of arms of social engineers to employ so as to persuade people that a particular course of action is required.

If you really care about this, I'd suggest you start with the ABS; you have hundreds of thousands of cases to choose from. They won't be quoting an IQ for every case, but a hint is that surveyors and other professionals are above your criteria of "low IQ" or "not so bright".

Searching ABS didn't find anything that dared to suggest lack of intelligence might be an issue, however there were quite a number of studies about the relationship between IQ and mortality (including accidents) which oppose your argument.

Searching ABS didn't find anything that dared to suggest lack of intelligence might be an issue, however there were quite a number of studies about the relationship between IQ and mortality (including accidents) which oppose your argument.

I take it from your response in 157 minutes, that you aren't familiar with extracting detailed data from ABS; out of the 12 million workforce, a compelling argument would involve the majority injured in that workforce, or at the very least the majority of an industries injuries.

or could it be that more qualified people work in less controlled environments? Statistics s can be painted many ways. Only way your assumption could be at all relevant is if the different IQ people were doing the SAME task, then outcomes compared

This in part explains why employers have a age bias in hiring, if you are young guy, raised in the work "safety" regime, you just get on with it.

I take it from your response in 157 minutes, that you aren't familiar with extracting detailed data from ABS; out of the 12 million workforce, a compelling argument would involve the majority injured in that workforce, or at the very least the majority of an industries injuries.

You are correct. I am not experienced in extracting data from ABS, but that doesn't discount the many studies that have been done.

One of the issues with ABS data was that it (from my uneducated view), appeared to lump a lot of things together, for example "technical and trades" is a very broad spectrum and covers a lot of industries.

You are correct. I am not experienced in extracting data from ABS, but that doesn't discount the many studies that have been done.One of the issues with ABS data was that it (from my uneducated view), appeared to lump a lot of things together, for example "technical and trades" is a very broad spectrum and covers a lot of industries.

Hence you have to do a few days work before drawing the wrong conclusion and misleading people.

Hence you have to do a few days work before drawing the wrong conclusion and misleading people.

Hi Turbo, I have difficulty extracting data from the ABS. If you could tell us what the data was, and how you extracted it, that would be super!

If their TV shows are any indication, Americans seem to have an aversion to clipping on their seat belts- the compulsory wearing of which has saved thousands of lives and untold injuries in this country.

I can't imagine they'll adopt the other great innovation that has saved so many lives in Oz: Random Breath Testing.

Hi Turbo, I have difficulty extracting data from the ABS. If you could tell us what the data was, and how you extracted it, that would be super!

Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Government This takes you to the front end of the site

Across the top are five of the most frequently requested statistics.

In the General search field at the top, you could search for, say Workplace fatalities and injuries, and go through the various links, then the End Note links.

If that doesn't help, put different General Search criteria in, e.g.

Fatal accidents, which links to Yearbook Australia 2009/10 > Contents > Expanded contents > accidents, injuries and fatailties

Or

General search Criteria > Work related injuries >Work related Injuries, Australia > then lots of information can be found, and there is an end note for further research

You just keep looping and following down the chain of links until you find the statistics you need.