Pilot licence

• 2 weeks later...

I’m 69. Only have 1.1hrs solo left to do to get my RA certificate. Having a great time! Looking forward to navs real soon. What am I going to do with it? Have fun while I can. Like to think I will be able to fly around Australia a couple of times before I stop. The personal trainer has helped enormously - fitness helps keep the brain and body working well!

• Agree 1

Look after yourself and keep thinking and moving.. 60's are not old anymore. How healthy you are is more important than age, but you do need to work on it. You need to be honest with yourself and get things checked if there's symptoms. Don't be a hypochondriac though but if you get indigestion walking up a hill, it's probably not indigestion.. Monitor yourself genuinely and you may well be safer than when you were younger. Giving the body a chance is better than surgery or drugs for life, where possible. Look after your immune system. we do knock it around.. Don't fly if you don't feel right.. There's a shortage of parking space up there. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

If you are fit enough to hold a drivers license then you are fit enough to fly RAAus. That is the medical standard to fly under your RPC, with a few exceptions such as heart conditions, diabetes, and a few others. Also bear in mind that you will be undergoing Human Factors training and exams to better refine that standard.

Go for it Rosemarie. But...Be prepared to have to battle attitudes of peers. (“Surely it’s too hard at your age)”; and attitudes of younger instructors. Keep going to different instructors until you get one you are completely happy with spending money and time on. I had three different goes before I found the right instructor and that’s a common experience for women learning to fly.

• Agree 1

I can understand that. Some blokes go real funny over women flying. If you go back through the records there have always been some "Ladies" flying. There's no reason for it to matter what sex you are. I know a couple of women instructors I would give a top rating to. Nev

• Agree 2

I can understand that. Some blokes go real funny over women flying.

You'd think they never heard of Amelia Earhart, and the women who flew fighters and bombers from place to place (often with only a couple hours of reading the manual for a massive aircraft they'd never flown before) in WWII.

• Agree 2

Some famous Australian pioneer avaitrix:

Millicent Bryant 1878 - 1927

Florence Taylor

Bonney, Lores 1897 - 1994

Freda Thompson 1906 - 1980

Jean Batten 1909 - 1982

Peggy McKillop 1909 - 1999

Jessie 'Chubbie' Miller 1910-1972

Nancy Bird-Walton 1915 -

Suzanne Duigan 1924 - 1993

Fran West 1952 -

Gaby Kennard

Janine Shepherd 1962 -

Allana Arnot 1967 -

Neither gender nor age should discourage you from adventure. Learning something as complex as driving a flying machine will have its ups and downs but if you are keen to succeed and willing to keep learning, you will succeed. And it is so very rewarding.

When I was in my late 40's I asked the local flying instructor about lessons. Kindly response was, 'what does a girlie your age want to learn to fly for?'. A few months later I moved for work. Flying myself home about 18 months later he asked me why I hadn't told him I was serious about learning to fly. And I have too many stories of refuellers and the like asking me if it will be long before the pilot gets back to the plane. Still so many have helped me on my flying journey that I can't take any/too many negatives from these type of comments. If you want to learn to fly just do it!

• Like 3

When I started learning to fly noisy aeroplanes, I got quite a few work colleagues asking me "Why would you want to learn to fly at your age?" I was only 50. There will always be people ready to question your choices especially if you decide to do something a little unconventional. (Not fitting their stereotype). I use it as a extra motivation. Life is too short to let others spoil my fun.

• Like 2

I’ve just had s birthday64 now

Do you think I would be able to get a pilot licence ??

Go for it! - I am not an aircraft /pilot instructor but in a lifetime of instructing people in the operation of complex ( potentially dangerous) farm equipment, I found that in general women make the better operators, being less likely to question instructions, have a better grasp of their current skill level, more safety aware and less prone to want to explore the limits of the machine (when instructor not watching).

• Agree 2

The very first thing you need to do is go for a TIF (trial introductory flight).

This will be with an instructor and will alow you to see if you really want to continue with training.

They are generally about 1/2 an hour and reasonably priced.

• Agree 2

Just do it. The most difficult step in becoming a pilot is the first one. Book that TIF at your chosen flying school and start living your dream.

When I was in my late 40's I asked the local flying instructor about lessons. Kindly response was, 'what does a girlie your age want to learn to fly for?'. A few months later I moved for work. Flying myself home about 18 months later he asked me why I hadn't told him I was serious about learning to fly. And I have too many stories of refuellers and the like asking me if it will be long before the pilot gets back to the plane. Still so many have helped me on my flying journey that I can't take any/too many negatives from these type of comments. If you want to learn to fly just do it!

It's a shame that Australians are like that but that's who we are.

To the other end of the scale, an item on tonight's Channel 7 News Melbourne about a lad who made his first solo today at YBSS, in a Piper Tomahawk, two days after his 15th birthday. Young lad named Farhad Ahmadi, hopes to be an Emirates pilot some day.

To the other end of the scale, an item on tonight's Channel 7 News Melbourne about a lad who made his first solo today at YBSS, in a Piper Tomahawk, two days after his 15th birthday. Young lad named Farhad Ahmadi, hopes to be an Emirates pilot some day.

I thoughty you had to be 16 to solo in GA - my son started to learn at 14 (had to sit on very thick cushions to see over the panel of the C 172) soled at 16 & had his commercial at 18. Don't recall his achievement even rating a mention at his school, let alone the in the media .How times have changed.