100 hourly and the yearly inspection

Jabiru7252

Imagine you have done the 100 hourly on your plane. Then you only fly 8 hours before the yearly comes around. I wonder how many folks would go through the same work again considering so few hours have been flown.

Imagine you have done the 100 hourly on your plane. Then you only fly 8 hours before the yearly comes around. I wonder how many folks would go through the same work again considering so few hours have been flown.

RAA said at the Rockhampton PD presentation that a December audit of the 300 renewals discovered only 30 (10% ) compliant. Eg 100 hourly done after say 3 to 4 years and no annuals performed. Therefore aircraft not maintained in accordance with manufactures instruction. Should answer your question a bit. Cheers

Jeeeez, that's bad. I do my services regularly and always have another to help with the 100 hourly. And, my log books are filled in as required. It does however seem crazy to go through the entire process for such few hours flown.

One of the worst things for most machinery is disuse. I would say that annual for a low use machine would be very important. The issues likely to be found with a low use machine are likely to be very different to a frequently used machine. Oil should be changed every 6 months because it oxidises, bits corrode or rot, things build nests, dust gathers, batteries go flat, seals go hard and leak.

Assuming this is about RAAus aircraft, (since RAAus was mentioned) why not read the first two paras in section 12.8 of the RAAus Tech Manual instead of all this guesswork and mis-information?

I'm not in RAAus, and I found it in about one minute of looking online. It's been there, unchanged, for the last three years. When it doubt about something, just check the facts out for yourself, it won't take long.

Never blindly rely on what "someone" told you 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.gif- too many people do this as their first and only option, why?? Check the facts, in many cases you might be pleasantly surprised.kicking.gif.49e03b0103db466637ff8d6beee39c3b.gif

Questions/topics of similar nature would best be posed not as "what is the answer I seek?" but "where do I find the answer I seek?"

And there I end the lesson, not by giving you the answer you seek (after all, I'm just another "someone"smoking.gif.2d8aabfab26579c9810e4f07a330ce61.gif), but guiding you to where it is where you can see it for yourself, and no guesswork is required.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Good hunting.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Like 1

...... It's been there, unchanged, for the last three years. ......

?? it was issued in August 2016, two years ago ... from the RAAus website (the bold is theirs, not mine) -

Version 4 of the Technical Manual has been completed and commenced operation on Monday 1 August 2016.

The manual is a complete rewrite that has taken a little over 2.5 years to complete.

Here's a link for those who prefer the easier path - RAA Tech Manual Vn4

Do the 100 hourly like an annual, record it as an annual and you are good for 100h or 12 months, whichever comes first.

That’s why the correct term is “periodic inspection”. It will in most cases occur at the earliest of 100 hours or 12 months. The only time this may vary would be in accordance with the manufacturers schedule.

It's too easy. Get into your aircraft more often, and put the hours on it. If you own an aircraft, and only fly 8 hrs in a year, you'd have to seriously question why you need to own an aircraft.

As M61A1 says, machines only deteriorate worse with lack of use. When not being utilised, oil drains off surfaces that need an oil coating, to ensure corrosion doesn't occur - moist salt-laden air or severe changes in humidity make for moisture buildup. The little insects start to develop homes (spiders are a constant nightmare where I live, they breed like rabbits), and they can be as destructive as rodents. Then there's always the rodent problem, they never stop breeding, and looking for a new home.

Ah, LTF, you always question, examine:book: inspect, dig deeper, the truth is out there and all that (except when the CASA regs are silent)

I see you got back okay, your valet probably experienced this:plane: 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif while you were actually doing this:drive:

• Like 1

I see you got back okay, your valet probably experienced this:plane:063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif while you were actually doing this:drive:

Great flight home from Narromine. And if I was happy with coffee in the front of an RV that would probably have been his experience :) He had to settle for bottled water till we got back. Apparently I aimed for bugs all the way home and severely depleted the local environment of all little things that fly .. leading edges are definitely not sparkling white at the moment .. but kind of patterned with black and reddish splotches. So the valet duties await.

RAA said at the Rockhampton PD presentation that a December audit of the 300 renewals discovered only 30 (10% ) compliant. Eg 100 hourly done after say 3 to 4 years and no annuals performed. Therefore aircraft not maintained in accordance with manufactures instruction. Should answer your question a bit. Cheers

No insurance cover either

I don’t remember that from the Rocky PD, but if it was said, then RAAus should be doing something about it. Just talking will not keep CASA happy.

I doubt that they have factual numbers, just making it up as they go along.

I don’t remember that from the Rocky PD, but if it was said, then RAAus should be doing something about it. Just talking will not keep CASA happy.I doubt that they have factual numbers, just making it up as they go along.

Hi Yenn

Was mentioned on 30 June; between when they spoke about section 12.5 of tech manual about what record example wording should be entered into log books and when they mentioned there were 155 lames as members in RAA.

Cheers Mike