Frog's Hollow Flying School (for Chinese students) turned down.

Garfly

It seems that NSW south coast planning authorities last night knocked back the big development proposal, just south of Bega, by the outfit called Sports Aviation Australia.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Community/NO-Frogs-Hollow-Chinese-Flying-School-818213558262343/

http://www.sportsaviationaustralia.com/about/

The plan was huge. According to one report (below): “Every 12 weeks there’ll be 360 trainee pilots, that’s 28,000 takeoffs and landings.”

and “This is a development equivalent to a town of around 500 people.”

https://aboutregional.com.au/community-steps-out-to-reject-frogs-hollow-flight-school/

Whilst a blow to the developers, it will probably come as a relief to the Frogs Hollow Flyers who've developed the ALA on the site for years, for their own use - and for that of visiting recreational aviators.   Perhaps now, they won't be turfed off their home strip to make way for the big new school.

b9f1c4_7f4f534730ad49aba259d0eed8522780.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.png Frogs Hollow Flyers aerodromes south coast flying pilots

WWW.FROGSHOLLOWFLYERS.COM.AU

Frogs Hollow Flyers provides an alternative to landing at Merimbula Airport and gives opportunities for pilots and enthusiasts in the Bega Valley without the formalities of an official Aero Club. Visitors welcome, but remember it is an active ALA

Sorry these pictures which I took at Frogs Hollow a couple of weeks back are ultra-tiny and repeated.

I've no idea how to enlarge or even delete images in this version.

IMG_3352.thumb.jpeg.703295173c0064fe69e8a550120fde64.jpeg

IMG_3374.thumb.jpeg.f42c81dc18a3e9e628bc232f0e140cbe.jpeg

X3VHLp4xSYOtDvOi1QReww_thumb_165ed.thumb.jpg.ca66b159c40a60524ae35ac130fdf451.jpg

922520005_FROGSHOLLOW001.thumb.jpeg.0e90272748f2afceaf10bc5d3396a88a.jpeg

x78fcYzkQQmu1fXH2lBBwQ_thumb_16444.thumb.jpg.b021af572246205ca57c61868cb41e25.jpg

641512112_FROGSHOLLOW001.thumb.jpeg.b9e22fc0a8e08752fe647902101e5f65.jpeg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.png The Last Minute Hitch: 16 March 2018 - Australian Flying

WWW.AUSTRALIANFLYING.COM.AU

Frogs Hollow, currency and feedback.

Here's a piece by Steve Hitchen in Australian Flying last March about Frogs Hollow.

Mention is made of the only 4-place Victa Aircruiser ever built which happens to live here.

I was glad to have a chance to see it last Sunday week. Herewith some pics including its owner pilot 'Des' seen here on the left.

[/url]IMG_3359.thumb.jpeg.ed691583f03447180694862c891483ae.jpeg/monthly_2018_12/IMG_3359.thumb.jpeg.d5c9032a1d2fb52ebb7aa386973fc2d5.jpeg" data-ratio="45.75">

1145976021_IMG_33652.thumb.jpeg.e7afa1766a67e319715646bfc221e346.jpeg

IMG_3363.thumb.jpeg.7b77fe193dabdca68eb323704835eaf6.jpeg

BgLJkjz9QKev5chmMGJoOw_thumb_16441.thumb.jpg.ff8d7004811777d8547d6b4e64c108b9.jpg

Another story here:

Merimbula Fly-away Report 10-12 March 2018 – Lilydale Flying Club

LILYDALEFLYINGCLUB.COM.AU

I thought it was the Aircruiser when I saw it in the panorama in the original post. Googled it and found that Brumby have bought the type cerificate for the Aircruiser, and are designing a turboprop version.

• Informative 2

I saw the Aircruiser in a maintenance hanger at Merimbula about 18 months or so ago. Given a potted history by the LAME . Amazing aircraft. I hope the Brumby crowd get its rebirth right. All things equal it should be a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Frogs Hollow yesterday (on four wheels) while visiting relatives nearby.

What a wonderful and peaceful setting. I am not against developers per se but this is quiet rural land with no nearby commercial/residential development. 

A massive change would be necessary if the Chinese proposal was granted. 

Apart from the imposition on the locals of the proposal, the benefits would probably be few as historically it would be built by Chinese, staffed by Chinese except for flying instructors, catered by Chinese and accomodation staffed by Chinese.

I am not against Chinese trading in Australia but it should be within currently operating larger airfields.

Apart from the imposition on the locals of the proposal, the benefits would probably be few as historically it would be built by Chinese, staffed by Chinese except for flying instructors, catered by Chinese and accomodation staffed by Chinese.

And that statement provides the exact basis for controlling every investment by the Chinese in Australia. There are way too many of these one-sided Chinese investments already here.

Sino Iron, Clive Palmers magnetite-mining "partner" is a classic. Blokes I know that have been to the Sino Iron site reckon you think you've landed in China. Everything is Chinese on site, including the primary language.

It's a disgrace that our so-called "leaders" of the country have allowed this to happen. The bottom line, Chinese investment in Australia should be subject to the exact same rules as China applies to Australian investment in China.

Those rules are; Australians cannot have a majority interest in any investment in China. The Chinese Communist Party must be a 50.1% partner, in the form of an opaque CCP-owned puppet company.

The CCP has total, unfettered control of any foreign investments in China, and also demands other major concessions from investors, such as handing over all technological knowledge and rights owned by the foreign investor.

The world, and the Americans in particular are only now just starting to wake up to the devious 50 year plan by China to dominate the world, by any means available .

• Like 1

At the same time having battle ready Marines continously based and training not far away, from the white devils/ round eye, side of the deal..... Whoops a lot of them aren't white ? Well there you go,  But they are the "goodies" aren't they.? Nev

While not denying the preposterous nature of the action and the underhanded nature of it, It only gave Frazer the ability to CALL an ELECTION and not pass any other legislation, in a situation where money supply had been denied by Frazers side and a lot of people weren't getting paid. Something had to be done and the People voted  for Frazer in the subsequent election.( Due mainly to the Newsapapers coverage of it and all the factors leading up to it..) Some even thought the CIA had a hand in it but it's never been proven. The Whitlam government sought to "buy back the Farm" Something the USA wouldn't want to happen at any price. Nev

With the risk of this thread degenerating into a political argument about 1975, one has to remember that Whitlam pissed (our) money up against the wall like a drunken sailor - gave us 17% annual inflation (who remembers the nearly monthly prices increases of almost everything?) - and then when he ran out of borrowing ability, tried to source more money for the country, via devious, hidden negotiations, from some of the shadiest people on the planet. And he got caught out on that stunt. Whitlam more than tripled the Govt debt of Australia in 3 years, with very little to show for it - unless you count "Blue Poles" as an outstanding Govt investment.

While I have very little time for Fraser, with his "silver spoon in the mouth" superior manner, and his traitorous move in personally over-riding Immigration laws, and allowing a horde of criminal Lebanese into Australia without background checks - he did do the right thing in ensuring Whitlam "faced the music" promptly, for his economically-unsound, debauched behaviour. A lot of outraged Labor supporters have short and selective memories.

• Agree 1

I’ve never been to Froga Hollow and would li,e to know if it has a CC avgas pump, pls?

Looking to fly across the range from Albury to Moruya if I get some decent weather. Twice as far if I go around the southern coast.

also looking for a suggested route from Wagga if anyone does the trip on a regular basis.

thanks

kaz

You can get some crook weather going around the coast of the S/E corner. It's ok if you understand weather there and pick your time. I would consider Goulburn - Nowra via Kangaroo Valley as another option. Drop in at HARS  (Albion Park) and see some good big old  stuff. Nev

• Agree 1

Governments of the Left or Right have to borrow money to get things done. If they don't, Governments have to permit the private sector to do the things the community needs, and private sector gets it money back from the people ( tolls on motorways etc.)

Whitlam's Labor Government had to borrow to finance the programs it promised the people. The people wanted these programs because the Conservative governments  from 1949 to 1972 had done little to improve infrastructure, except maybe for the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

The Snowy Mountains Scheme was originally suggested by NSW, but after Victoria and South Australia raised good points for their involvement the Chifley Labor Government chaired a meeting between the four governments and an agreement was reached to develop plans to achieve the objectives of each State. However, limitations in the Australian Constitution meant that the Commonwealth Government was limited in the powers it could exercise, without the agreement of the States. Subsequently, the Commonwealth Government introduced legislation into the Federal Parliament under its defence power;[6] and enacted the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Power Act 1949 (Cth) that enabled the formation of the Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Authority.Ten years later, the relevant States and Territories introduced their own corresponding legislation and in January 1959 the Snowy Mountains Agreement was reached between the Commonwealth and the States.

So Whitlam's Government spent money to set up Medicare. It put money into Aboriginal communities. It encouraged the Arts, including the motion picture industry. Maybe Blue Poles was up the pole, but Whitlam's government did save us a lot of money by pulling troops out of Vietnam and ceasing interrupting the lives of lottery losing young men for two years.

Although this article is two years old, the economic principles expressed in it hold true for the time it was produced; the years when we Baby Boomers were growing up, and for today. Like statistics, the data does not lead up false paths. It is the errors of the interpreters the leads us astray.

• Agree 2

That the CIA where involved, there's not much doubt. Kerr was known to have CIA links. We are not even allowed to examine the correspondence between Buck Palace and Kerr almost 50 years later. It is a fact that a motion of "no-confidence" was passed by the Parliament in the Fraser caretaker govt but this fact was ignored when Kerr prorogued The Parl't for the election. There are long lists of the Whitlam govt's achievements in foreign affairs, universal health cover, urban development, education, aboriginal affairs and, of course, Jackson Pollack's Blue Poles which has achieved a stratospheric value since being purchased. To argue that his period in office was marked by wasteful spending and policy confusion is to display extreme naivete and ignorance.

BTW Kaz, Moruya and Merimbula are open and have avgas.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

You can get some crook weather going around the coast of the S/E corner. It's ok if you understand weather there and pick your time. I would consider Goulburn - Nowra via Kangaroo Valley as another option. Drop in at HARS  (Albion Park) and see some good big old  stuff. Nev

It’s a long way around,  Nev but it avoid that horrible tiger country. As you say, it an get some awful wx as you turn the corner. I’ve worked at sea (Fisheries) and dived around Gabo (Tullaberga shipwreck) out of Mallacoota and watched the Orcas at Eden, but have never flown there.

The Kangaroo Valley route from Goulburn looks a tad better but again adds significantly to the journey and the risk of bad wx. I lost a firey mate in a C182 on Mt Selwyn coming back from Moruya a few years ago. Makes you think.

kaz

I think I would rather go around a lot of that rough stuff than fly over it  in a single engine plane. It's probably the most inhospitable country in Australia and often subject to  severe turbulence and doing a forced landing in cloud/fog  in such an area doesn't bear thinking about.. I would go more north of Albury and keep over country you could more or less land on if you need to.. I've been to Hotham a few times and always plan so as to be able to glide to a safe® area. That means diverting from the straight line direct track. and spiral climb up to a safe height before leaving the aerodrome vicinity.. From inland to Moruya only in a light twin. .Nev

Kaz

I used to fly Cooma (Polo Flat), across the coastal range, and onto the coast regularly. Taking my Racer to my LAME in Moruya, attending BBQs at Frogs Hollow, whale watching off Montague Island, and visiting friends in Merimbula. The coastal range is spectacular with scenery only possible from the air. Well worth going out of the way for just to see the gorges off the escarpment and alpine lakes close to Bombala.

If you are travelling in a straight line I'd suggest you stay high and avoid strong Westerlies. You will be within gliding distance of something safe nearly all of the time. Those more conservative will pick the Bega valley, and others further North, or South, to fly across because of the availability of paddocks to land in. Training schools on the coast, and Cooma way, send their students across these mountains all the time (and for that matter the Snowy mountains). It's simply a matter of preparation.

Weather can be an issue. The distance between my home base in Cooma and the coast was less than 50nm but most times the weather patterns were very different. Two years back there was a BBQ at Frogs Hollow. A great bunch of people. An Easterly wind started picking up on the North/South strip and the coastal range started to clag in. It was not forecasted. Within 15 minutes the aircraft from Jindabyne, Cooma, and Adaminaby were on their way to be greeted by blue sky and no winds at their respective home bases. Care is all that is needed,

Frogs Hollow has no fuel but it's easily obtained from Merimbula.  Well worth the venture I'd suggest.

Steve

• Informative 2

Or.. there’s always the scenic coastal route via Kilmore Gap before turning left down the Valley. The Power Plants are usually visible some 50 nm. distant , then onto Cowarr and D353 ( if airspace active ) onto YBNS. All good flat grazing country to YBNS. We can arrange overnight accom in the club rooms if req., then an easy 40 nm.scenic coastal to YORB. with another 50 nm.or so to Mallacoota ( flat and timbered with the beach as an option ) ...... Bob 

Darwin harbour 99 yr lease? ..... Talk about selling your soul to the devil....

Pretty much a repeat of Hong Kong. China still smarts from the humiliation it suffered at the hands of foreigners (including Australians). The tables are now turned.