Stored Hueys

red750

So they flew the F35s all the way out here with the defence pollies crowing about how great they are/will be & they wouldn't show their aerial capability/incapacity for some unknown secret reason from the US?

Apparently it's because they're not yet protected from lightning (oh the irony...). I would've thought that's something you'd think about when actually building the aircraft, instead of doing it later.

So maybe future wars will be like cricket... our PM will ring the opposition leader and say "Looks like a spot of rain... would you mind delaying your invasion a bit? It's our planes, you see, yes they cost 120 mill each, but they don't like going out in the wet..."

Apparently it's because they're not yet protected from lightning (oh the irony...). I would've thought that's something you'd think about when actually building the aircraft, instead of doing it later.So maybe future wars will be like cricket... our PM will ring the opposition leader and say "Looks like a spot of rain... would you mind delaying your invasion a bit? It's our planes, you see, yes they cost 120 mill each, but they don't like going out in the wet..."

A Civil War then?

JEM there are really only about 3 I think on display around australia..there could have been a lot more. I am sure that the Caboolture museum would have taken one and many other places as well. The excuse they used was some contaminates in the fuel tanks..you know they got sued over the guys cleaning the tanks etc..so they just buried them to get rid of them....just a pure waste

Actually, if I recall correctly, the reason for burying them had a lot to do with ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regs. They were required to be destroyed.

Every swing wing metal mechs was removed prior to burying.

In the photo, you can clearly see the D6AC steel wing carry through box still in place.

Apparently it's because they're not yet protected from lightning (oh the irony...). I would've thought that's something you'd think about when actually building the aircraft, instead of doing it later.So maybe future wars will be like cricket... our PM will ring the opposition leader and say "Looks like a spot of rain... would you mind delaying your invasion a bit? It's our planes, you see, yes they cost 120 mill each, but they don't like going out in the wet..."

Now you have some idea of how risk averse our defence force is....you could have the best aircraft in the world, and they still won't fly it in case something might go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, if I recall correctly, the reason for burying them had a lot to do with ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) regs. They were required to be destroyed.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. The ITAR legislation must be among the most paranoid legislation ever drafted. It's the reason I gave up collecting U.S. flight gear. I've had contact with Americans who would not sell me a fifty year old Soviet leather helmet because they were scared of getting locked up. Sections of it were re-written some time back and a lot of grey areas introduced.

Now you have some idea of how risk averse our defence force is....you could have the best aircraft in the world, and they still won't fly it in case something might go wrong.

Don't tell me OH&S is running amok there too.......

The US military budget is 600 billion. Wow... what are they so afraid of? They choose to spend it on their military than being civilized in many other ways. Or they could not levy the taxes to start with, and be the home of the low-taxed.

I am nonplussed.

Don't forget there is the Bruce Tuncks prize for the best sortie story for our 50 billion submarines. So far the leader is the guy who reckons they could be used to rescue Bali tourists in the event of war with Indonesia.

The excuse they used was some contaminates in the fuel tanks..you know they got sued over the guys cleaning the tanks etc..

So what did become of Dazza? we used to hear so much from him on here.

Maybe he has a new woman. That was the undoing of a good mate at Gawler, but the good news is that he only stayed away for about four years.He still has the woman, but now has time for flying too.

Yep, I got 'undone' too...and still counting myself a lucky man 13 years on....)