Stored Hueys

red750

Not exactly a photo, but a screenprint from Google Earth. I was looking at Melbourne Airport Florida and saw these stored Hueys minus rotors. Confirmed they were Huey's from Google Streetview. I reckon there's around 50 in there.

[ATTACH]27295[/ATTACH]

1643275634_hueysinmelbourne.jpg.c6d5ca7e128f45bb7f9fbcab4ed2b1ce.jpg

• 11 months later...
The burying of those F-111's was tantamount to a criminal exercise. Most could have been setup for fixed display all over australia

Have to wonder what was the justification for that?

JEM there are really only about 3 I think on display around australia..there could have been a lot more. I am sure that the Caboolture museum would have taken one and many other places as well. The excuse they used was some contaminates in the fuel tanks..you know they got sued over the guys cleaning the tanks etc..so they just buried them to get rid of them....just a pure waste

JEM there are really only about 3 I think on display around australia..there could have been a lot more. I am sure that the Caboolture museum would have taken one and many other places as well. The excuse they used was some contaminates in the fuel tanks..you know they got sued over the guys cleaning the tanks etc..so they just buried them to get rid of them....just a pure waste

Hi, with thanks to Wikipedia here is the latest list now on display in Australia (11 complete airframes plus 4 crew modules)

Aircraft on display

11 F-111Cs were retained as heritage assets. Five will be placed on display at RAAF bases.

On 4 October 2012, six more cosmetically restored and repainted aircraft were unveiled at RAAF Base Amberley for display at private aviation museums.[93] Ownership is retained by the Australian government and aircraft undergo continual maintenance and non-destructive testing. They were loaned to:

The Australian Flying Corps and Royal Australian Air Force Association would also receive a crew module of A8-131. The crew modules of A8-135, A8-136 and A8-137 are also held at the Aviation Heritage Centre, RAAF Base Amberley.

Still not enough spread around the place...just a awesome machine well beyond their years. I still reckon they did the wrong thing burying them

Seeing this topic is about hueys ...there are not many of those around either. We are lucky enough to have one that lives around here...there is no mistake when you hear it flying around what it is., I think they use it for spraying .

Ycab museum has managed to get a Caribou with maybe a second one coming I am told. Cost them a motza to get it here too. They had to pay for the airframe about 5K which I was gobsmacked about and then I think it was something like 25K to transport it here. Not to mention all the volunteers who gave their time and own money to go to site to dismantle it and get it on the truck so it could be bought here. Its all back together now just about..another superb aircraft for its age of design and longevity

Why couldn't the F111s have been scrapped and melted down? Was the alloy too secret? Covering them in dirt is not environmentally responsible. My guess is that it was the cheapest option.

My guess is it was a direction from the US, the same reason why the F35's couldn't fly last Sunday. Now, if we'd had that aircraft graveyard at Alice Springs............

My guess is it was a direction from the US, the same reason why the F35's couldn't fly last Sunday. Now, if we'd had that aircraft graveyard at Alice Springs............

So they flew the F35s all the way out here with the defence pollies crowing about how great they are/will be & they wouldn't show their aerial capability/incapacity for some unknown secret reason from the US?