Incident at Bendigo

At about 10.45 this morning there was an incident at Bendigo requiring ambulance and fire brigade attendance. I overflew the site and saw an aircraft in the middle of the runway intersection, surrounded by firefighting foam. The aircraft appeared intact but I could not tell whether it was inverted. From the colour, it may have been one of the training school Foxbats.

And from the local paper:

It is understood the incident at Bendigo Airport involved an ICP Savannah recreational category aircraft, which experienced a hard landing and nosewheel collapse during a training flight. There were no injuries.

10.51am

THE north-south runway at Bendigo Airport is closed after a plane crash on Thursday morning.

The two-seater light plane crashed on the runway just after 10am.

Country Fire Authority crews and police are on scene. Ambulance Victoria and State Emergency Service crews also attended.

Firefighters are using foam on a small fuel leak from the plane.

Victoria Police have closed the runway and planes in the air are being alerted.

The incident is under control.

A City of Greater Bendigo spokesperson confirmed the airport is closed

Probably used the jaws-of-life to get to the fuel tank.

Steady! I'm in the CFA and get a bit tired of these sorts of comments. People always come to the scene after a  Fire or Accident and say why did they cut the fence or they wrecked mums new car. At the time we do what needs to be done to save lives or property. You can always fix the fence or buy a new car but you can't buy a new mum.

And we do it for free !  

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 1

Probably used the jaws-of-life to get to the fuel tank. 

I am disappointed with this comment. I expected more from you. My 15 years volunteering with a crash rescue unit did not include training to deal with inane comments. About as informed as a journalist talking of Cessna triples.

• Agree 1

So there's the problem, right there! "Pilot, 63, co-pilot, 78". Silly old farts behind the wheel, they don't know what they're doing, from one minute to the next!!  :cheezy grin:

You mean they are buggered without a good woman beside them?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1

Steady! I'm in the CFA and get a bit tired of these sorts of comments.

I am disappointed with this comment. I expected more from you. 

Excuse me if my comment irked you. But it comes from attending road and aircraft crashes over a period of 28 years where fire fighters have jumped the gun and carried out fire fighting actions when fire was not present. Stand-by in case of fire - yes, by all means. But don't spread foam, or cut battery cables without the approval of those whose job and training it is to investigate the cause of incidents. Firies aren't called Evidence Eradication Teams without prior cause.

I fully endorse the use of any tool to preserve life, but once that task is completed, stand down.

I can understand the two points of view here, and can probably add that both parties have probably killed people instead of waiting for qualified paramedics to save them, and there would be many civilians who have eradicated evidence, caused fires and killed the injured. None of them intended to do so; it's just a cost of accidents. As a civilian I'm just happy to have these people on the scene, mistakes and all.

Stand-by in case of fire - yes, by all means. But don't spread foam, or cut battery cables without the approval of those whose job and training it is to investigate the cause of incidents.

Let's hope next time your upside down in an aircraft with fuel spilling around you the investigator turns up in a hurry to tell us what to do!

As I said, we do what we think has to be done at the time.

We might make it hard for an investigator, better that making it easy for the Coroner!

Obviously in the situation where persons need to be extricated from wreckage, that overrides all other considerations, but if no one is in the wreckage, and fire has not started, stand guard and don't douse things unless fire breaks out. If you are dealing with an aircraft, you could turn the fuel cock to "OFF", as long as that action was reported to investigators. But are volunteer fire fighters taught where to look for fuel cocks in aircraft?

I think it all starts with how and who called in the incident ,general public or news outlets tend to exaggerate when comes to aircraft. If it was a car they would the wheel fell off or drove of the road but if its a aircraft its a crash, or terrifying crash  for just about every think that happen to a aircraft even a flat tyre .  I thought there is a emergency service building at Bendigo airport  for bush fires etc , they may have used this one for training as well .