Alan Joyce's wedding Saturday

red750

Alan Joyce belongs in this forum more than a lot of fringe comment, because it was his policies, which virtually no one in the industry agreed with, which not only brought Qantas back  from potential extinction, but gave it a sound future.

I can't remember if he got involved in the gay marriage campaign, which I believe has done massive harm to our society because the people involved were never going to stp there.

However, I have known two gay couples for several decades. They don't campaign, are totally committed to each other, just wired differently to us.

The announcement was worth making, but doesn't need to be turned into a circus.

turbo, if you really believe Joyce has helped QANTAS, you simply don't understand anything about human nature long term.  It may have been Eddington who was first cast to destroy a great airline, if so, he certainly started the ball rolling by merging Australian into QANTAS to sweeten it up for sale.  It was then handed to Joyce to continue what's known in economics as the "creative destruction" of a great company with a perfect safety record, and a solid culture.   If Qantas is making money, it's due to it's sound fiscal management, long term relationships and past record, but those only last so long.  Joyce is slowly killing it with kindness, and his recent "marriage" is a clue to how he's doing it.

Qantas doesn't make money flying people around the world - it only makes money, because it rorts every FF points holder - to the extent that the FF programme is actually more valuable than Qantas.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/qantas-frequent-flyer-program-turning-into-airlines-biggest-money-spinner-20170512-gw34wq.html

Qantas doesn't make money flying people around the world - it only makes money, because it rorts every FF points holder - to the extent that the FF programme is actually more valuable than Qantas.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/qantas-frequent-flyer-program-turning-into-airlines-biggest-money-spinner-20170512-gw34wq.html

The customers don’t care; they’re loyal to the airline. The shareholders don’t care; they’re making an income. Qantas is a business first and then an airline. It’s never worked the other way round.

But surely, somewhere along the way, people will wake up to the rort of "loyalty points". There are already plenty of articles from educated people warning others of the fallacy of "chasing points".

But surely, somewhere along the way, people will wake up to the rort of "loyalty points". There are already plenty of articles from educated people warning others of the fallacy of "chasing points".

You're attacking a market strategy which works for many businesses, which would fail without them.

Other industries, the stock industry and real estate industry use the artificial price stter, the auction system, relying on fear and greed.

An old fruit market man once told me a story of several fruiterers at the Adelaide market all selling cases of oranges and struggling one day, while another fruiterer was underselling them and sold out his entire stock. The old fruiterer went over to him at the end of the day and said, "You know we all buy from the same wholesaler at the same price, so what's the point of selling at a loss?" The other fruiterer replied "Yes, I'm making a loss on every orange, but I'm not selling oranges, I'm selling cases.

That example taught me a lot about marketing; compounding also taught me some amazing methods of successful selling.

There were some, in the 1970s that started asset stripping; buying an old company with plenty of real estate but running at a loss. They would sell the real estate, relocate to rented premises, then sell the company for its big book profits. It would then collapse after a couple of years, but their marketing strategy was "a good time for a short time". In the 1980s some people crossed the legal line and would up with the law after them.

Warren Buffet bought Berkshire Hathaway, which owned cotton mills, intending to consolidate the mills and produce a reliable income. It was about the time the Chinese exploded on to the market with cheap cotton T Shirts, WindCheaters, Jeans, and no matter what he did, and how efficiently BH worked, they were heading for extinction.   He'd also been observing the Insurance Company model and had noticed that regardless of the magnitude of claims they just offset them like horse racing bookies, and they got their money sometimes years before they had to pay out, so he could invest that money. His genius wasn't to buy an Insurance Company, it was to get Berkshire Hathaway to buy an insurance company, so suddenly they had a massive income stream which bought them time to wind down and sell their mills and get out of the cotton industry and into financial investment, and he saved tens of millions in losses, and quickly became the second richest man on earth. Even now in his '80s I think he's about No 4.

McDonalds is simply achieving turnover with under-age wage earners; compounding does the rest.

The reason I mention these cases is that there's no point in outsiders focusing on a companies internal business model unless it is operating illegally, or effecting shares they own, because in most cases they are not going to be able to do anything, or need to do anything about the business strategy.

• Like 1

Firstly, his private life has nothing to do with anybody else.

Next, I have read an article somewhere about Qantas financial history but can't find it now. Joyce did not save Qantas. The artlicle laid out how much Qantas made before Joyce, it was considerably more in less time under the previous CEO.

McDonalds business model is based on real estate development.

Yes that's the primary business model, which I should have mentioned.

The one I did mention fits into that, and really is the franchisee's model.

Next, I have read an article somewhere about Qantas financial history but can't find it now. Joyce did not save Qantas. The artlicle laid out how much Qantas made before Joyce, it was considerably more in less time under the previous CEO.

You're talking about a different time scale, I was referring to a more recent and shorter time scale from a crisis point, so both are correct.

It just amazes me that some can use any excuse or creation of facts to suit their argument.

All to excuse massive rippoffs of market failure. But always the first to scream for a government handout or rules to suit themselves.

Economic sociopaths is a apt term. If you think I am pointing a finger in your direction?

You would be correct

"or effecting shares they own,"

Thats the problem, with most of the profits going into CEO's pockets, & share's not performing.

spacesailor

I have no particular interest in Qantas but I am curious as to why you say the shares are not performing?

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport/qantas-soars-to-all-time-high-20191111-p539gh

Sure, but when he makes it public, and pushes it on others, then it does.  I'd agree with you about him not saving QANTAS too.  His job is to destroy it, and since it wasn't built in a day, much like Rome, it takes a while to trash.

• Like 2

So you're actually making his private life your business by defending his right to his private life, Ying Yang.

While not defending Joyce at all, the previous CEO didn't face the onslaught of cheap airfares and numerous start-ups offering them back then. The market sure is a tougher place today to be in.

Yes that's the primary business model, which I should have mentioned.

The one I did mention fits into that, and really is the franchisee's model.

Have you seen the movie with Michael Keating?

Explains what happened with the business model mostly.