Electric Rag and Tube

Garfly

I am definitely not saying that EVs are cheap especially in this country.  If they were cheaper I would definitely buy one.   I think at the top end they are competitive.    As an example my son (lives in NZ)  is fairly well well off and could also be described as a petrol head, owning a few interesting cars and competes in motor sport.   His daily drive was a 5 series BMW which had got to the age where the transmission was going to require vast amounts of money.   To buy this car new was about the same cost as a Tesla 3P but the Tesla performs better and is cheaper to run (about $12 a week in electricity -off peak at home)   

I think at the cheaper end of the market it is not yet there on a purely economical basis. Cost is not the only factor when we buy a car.  Some people opt to buy a large 4wd for their daily city driving. They could buy a basic cheap car but they choose the car that they want to drive.   Some people love  the technology and are willing to pay more for it.    

The price and range of EVs improves each year and at some point will definitely be the cheaper option.  If you look at the plans of the major car companies the future is clear.   

And on the main topic 

Homemade Electric Airplane MK4

• Agree 1

He's happy with 30 mph cruise speed? He might as well ride a pushbike. As Nev points out, he did little to ensure a slippery shape, that might've given him a decent cruise speed.

9 minutes ago, onetrack said:

He's happy with 30 mph cruise speed? He might as well ride a pushbike. As Nev points out, he did little to ensure a slippery shape, that might've given him a decent cruise speed.

He does state near the end of the clip that after seeing how it flies he would work on improving aerodynamics by fitting aerodynamic struts and sealing gaps.

This would not be my cup of tea but there are many who just love low and slow.

Edited by octave
  • Like 2

Reducing drag doesn't have much ill effect that I can think of and has advantages that apply every second you are flying. Bit like weight reduction but that may affect strength... Less drag would mean less power required  and more time in the air available. (endurance).  Nev

• Like 1

There is a point where extra drag is better than extra streamlining (where the streamlining adds weight). It becomes apparent with just this sort of aircraft. An excellent case in point was  with two different man powered aircraft Puffin and Gossamer Albatross. The team on the Puffin concentrated on making it as streamlined as possible- thicker wings instead of struts and wires etc. Bit like Platz did with his Fokker designs. The team on the Gossamer Albatross went for lightness with the compromise of wires etc. 

300px-Gossamer_Albatross_II_in_flight.jpg

t173_1_024i.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga

Iv,e had an EV ever since  my hip wore out, ,

I don,t need it anymore, it just sits in the garage waiting to have new batteries every couple of years.

AND

Those 40 Ah ' mobility scooter ' batteries are worth twice the price of a large car battery.

spacesailor

You're looking at "below the line" advertising where a Party advertises something anonymously.

Victoria is introducing a very small, petty cash. tax on EV based on road use, just like all the other vehicles which use the roads.

This is so that, over time, if the market share of EV does grow from its current 0.5%, then this will replace the tax we are currently paying on ICE vehicles. Both ICE and EV, equally use roads.

• Like 1

Got notification from EAA in the U.S. that effectively only FAR Part 103 aircraft can be flown with electric power at this time.

Their words:

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the follow up. In the US we were able to keep our Part 103 even when the new sport pilot and light sport aircraft rules became effective in 2004. Interesting, the light sport aircraft must be a reciprocating engine, so electric power does not meet light sport and cannot be flown by a sport pilot.

• Informative 1

Also electric planes weren't really on the radar in 2004. I'm guessing they stipulated reciprocating engines so as to exclude turbines. Although I'm guessing if that's the wording it also excludes wankels 😄

I'm sure as interest picks up they'll allow electric.

Edited by danny_galaga

The Pipistrel Alpha Electro first flew here on 2 January 2018 at Jandacott. It got a special CofA from CASA in October 2017 & can be either CASA or RAA registered. It is operated by Electo.Aero at Jandacott and is used for training. Electro.Aero produce charging systems for the Aviation industry.

• Informative 1

Whilst the Pipistrel is a beautiful Aircraft  it is in the GA price range.  A US FAR Part 103 takes them back to the good old days of lower budget no license flying....A regime that the RAAus is fast leaving behind in this modern day and age 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/04/2021 at 6:32 PM, Methusala said:

I used a fuel injection pump (second hand Bosch from wreckers) for years. Electrical connection from my ground vehicle via a 10m lead to cigar lighter socket.

How long does it take to pump per litre

• More 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Jack, you are right. Do we need to start a more basic show (Once again). We'd probably get the same opposition as the basic stuff did in the 60's.  Nev

I am amassing the soldiers shall I say 🙂