Dye colouring is being removed from the various grades of ULP

onetrack

For some reason that I can't really fathom (apart from the old one trotted out regularly, "in line with International practices"), the dyes used to colour the various grades of ULP have been removed, starting 01/08/2021.

I don't see any real benefits from this decision, it was handy being able to ID fuel in jerrycans and drums, when its origin was unknown, or it wasn't marked. Does anyone agree with me that this decision is somewhat of a retrograde step?

https://www.aip.com.au/colour-australian-unleaded-petrol-grades-evolving-aip-technical-market-update

I was actually rather surprised to find that the colouring of ULP wasn't regulated previously, anyway, and could vary between oil companies, and between batches (obviously from different refineries).

https://www.mobil.com.au/en-au/our-fuels/faqs

I must have been using a lot of fuel from similar sources, as I didn't actually notice much variation in the colour, as Mobil indicates there was.

But it's very handy to have a different colour between octane levels, clarifying that the fuel you're trying to ID, is higher octane than the standard 91ULP.

What is interesting is that the low aromatics fuel (OPAL) for regulated inland communities, will continue to be dyed. I guess this is because they still haven't got control of petrol-sniffing.

Edited by onetrack

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

For some reason that I can't really fathom (apart from the old one trotted out regularly, "in line with International practices"), the dyes used to colour the various grades of ULP have been removed, starting 01/08/2021.

I don't see any real benefits from this decision, it was handy being able to ID fuel in jerrycans and drums, when its origin was unknown, or it wasn't marked. Does anyone agree with me that this decision is somewhat of a retrograde step?

https://www.aip.com.au/colour-australian-unleaded-petrol-grades-evolving-aip-technical-market-update

I was actually rather surprised to find that the colouring of ULP wasn't regulated previously, anyway, and could vary between oil companies, and between batches (obviously from different refineries).

https://www.mobil.com.au/en-au/our-fuels/faqs

I must have been using a lot of fuel from similar sources, as I didn't actually notice much variation in the colour, as Mobil indicates there was.

But it's very handy to have a different colour between octane levels, clarifying that the fuel you're trying to ID, is higher octane than the standard 91ULP.

What is interesting is that the low aromatics fuel (OPAL) for regulated inland communities, will continue to be dyed. I guess this is because they still haven't got control of petrol-sniffing.

We're in a changing world.

The colours for Petrol, Kerosene, Power Kerosene and Diesel distillate were very distinctive.

I haven't seen power kerosene in a long time but "Home" kerosene has been a distinctive blue in recent times.

Petrol seems to be becoming a lottery, depending on where the distributor buys its fuel, and maybe there's some spot market chasing going on causing rough petrol to show up at the pumps without colour.

Never taken much notice of the colour before. Usually fuel is in a drum or the pump. Nowadays I only use ‘release note’ fuel in me aircraft.

Dunno that I would be using fuel that you know nothing about and where you have to pour some out in an attempt to identify it..🤔 

As an aside. I were having starting problems with me Ducati motor bike. I were told by the Ducati service department to only use 95 as that is the most ‘honest’ of all the Mogas fuels - problem fixed.

• Informative 1

I have a “set” of jerry cans for my aircraft that are kept in a seperate locked shed at the strip and they only ever contain unleaded 95 - I even use unleaded 95 for the generator and airstrip lawnmower to avoid that misfuelling possibility.

I buy fuel from the same very busy name brand service station every time.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Skippy, petrol has been adulterated by unscrupulous resellers as long as it has been produced. A number of Sydney service station owners were prosecuted for petrol adulteration probably 15 or more years ago, when petrol was still dyed in highly visible colours.

• Agree 1

On 15/08/2021 at 5:44 AM, Flying Binghi said:

Never taken much notice of the colour before. Usually fuel is in a drum or the pump. Nowadays I only use ‘release note’ fuel in me aircraft.

Dunno that I would be using fuel that you know nothing about and where you have to pour some out in an attempt to identify it..🤔 

As an aside. I were having starting problems with me Ducati motor bike. I were told by the Ducati service department to only use 95 as that is the most ‘honest’ of all the Mogas fuels - problem fixed.

Yeah been an issue with bikes for years,
used to be telling people to drain the tank of Shell and re-fuel with BP. (where/when they filled up last was literally the first question we would ask for rough running or starting issues, and 90% of the time it was Shell fuel)

now its use 95 and not 98. Which makes sense when you realize its actually marketed around additives and detergents, not performance or quality.
from the BP website "BP has perfected our innovative formulation – based on patented technology – to produce BP Ultimate Unleaded 98, our best ever dirt-busting petrol. In fact, BP Ultimate Unleaded 98 busts dirt in just 2 tanks!"

can also see the effects when fuel goes off, it used to leave behind a varnish residue. now it turns into a jelly like substance.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 1

Many years ago in another life I used to work for a major Oil Co for 15 years, you wouldn't wanna know what goes on behind the scenes trust me:-) Our ICE engines will run on a variety of 'quality' fuels it's more the contamination factor that is of concern.