Outboard Motors

skippydiesel

When I was young, Limbach, Germany, took air-cooled VW car engines and converted loads of them to safer yet more powerful aircraft engines mainly due to their initial light weight and opposed design. Many were produced although a batch of dual ignition magneto's caused a bunch of engine outs including our plane, a stol Protech. I believe they were popular for some time.

Subaru engines did not prove to have the reliability from what I saw back then. Going forward, the moment battery technology can 'halve' the weight of lithium batteries, electric motors will take off like mad I believe as the compact size, massive torque, cooling, noise, no flammable liquids etc etc make them far superior.

In motorcycles, last year, saw some of the first weight-matching, distance-matching battery/elec bikes. Quick release battery swap cassettes for light aircraft would obviouly be necessary at many locations. 

• Agree 1

Fuji FA-200 aero Subaru - Nice looking , very much of the erra (like a US derived aircraft) Disappointing (to me) that they did not go the whole hog and use their own engine. 

Speculation: Didn't get the US sales, where very similar homegrown aircraft would have been preferred.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

There were a few around. Subaru don't make an aircooled engine. Just being a "boxer" doesn't make it an aero  engine. RR built some Continentals for a while. Porsche's aero engine was not a success. and they built very good aircooled engines. It's NOT that EASY to build a good aero engine. Nev

• Like 2

"It's NOT that EASY to build a good aero engine."

With no evidence/experience to back my opinion - I doubt this statement.

While an IC aero engine may need to have certain characteristics, specific to aircraft, these can not be a secret, known only to a select few aircraft engine builders.

I am absolutely sure that the technical ability to design & make a good IC aero engine can be found in most, if not all developed and even some developing countries.

The reasons for new (to the market) engines failing, is more likely due to market pressures - more specifically ; the USA is by far the largest single market. This coupled with, Uncle Sam being an extraordinarily parochial customer and a famously difficult (particularly to foreign products) legislative environment makes success of a newcomer difficult. Add to this the size of the World market (tiny by automotive measure), the conservatism of the customer base (stick with what you know) and presumably the cost of just setting up against established industry's.

The combination of factors, unrelated to the technological challenge, is in my opinion what prevents new engines entering the marketplace and if they do, succeeding.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 2

The bottom line is the aero engine market is tiny, and offers no ability to mass produce to meet a mass market - so the established aero engine manufacturers effectively have it all sewn up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Rv-10

A local flew several hundred hours with an LS engine in his 10 but eventually replaced the LS with a Lycoming

Lots of starter issues . Dependability issues on fly outs with our group. The joke was that the rest of us had to save empty seats so his pax could get home.

this is from a vans group

• Informative 2

3 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Rv-10

A local flew several hundred hours with an LS engine in his 10 but eventually replaced the LS with a Lycoming

Lots of starter issues . Dependability issues on fly outs with our group. The joke was that the rest of us had to save empty seats so his pax could get home.

this is from a vans group

it would be interesting to know what the problems were. 

• Like 1

GM long ago ceased building quality and reliability into their products, and I for one, wouldn't fly behind anything with a GM power unit up front.

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

GM long ago ceased building quality and reliability into their products, and I for one, wouldn't fly behind anything with a GM power unit up front.

i bet its the conversion and ancillaries that had problems. Ls engines are very reliable.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

i bet its the conversion and ancillaries that had problems. Ls engines are very reliable.

GM had 100 million small block engines to practice on before LS; I'd be giving that some thought.

Jim Wickham's Chev 350 powered scale Mustang was easily the best sound in any dogfight show.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Skip IF it WAS easy, plenty would have done it.   Nev

Never said it was easy - just that the technology can't possibly be so demanding that others (than the established) are unable to make them.

I believe that good old Uncle Sam is making it too hard for potential competitors. So pervasive is this anti new/foreign culture, it even infects many Australian LAME's and probably pilot/owners as well.

Look at the Rotax experince - despite proven reliability & performance, within their HP range, their penerataton of the US market is still a long way from where it should be (with the exception of the military purchase of drone engines). After very many years Rotax has established a reasonable "beach head" in the US, so will get there -after all they have a better product!😈

It will be interesting to see how the larger Rotax will sell in the US, particularly now they are competing in the very popular sub 200 hp range,  with their 140-160 hp engines.

• Informative 1

More a quality control  thing than  complex technology AS A SOLUTION.  You seem to believe in fairies in the garden branding. Rotax= Perfect . Anything else is crap. There's no  conspiracy . It's not a larger Rotax. It's a more complex and expensive and more stressed one. How's it perfect when all the posts here are about issues with  it?. The boosted ones are yet long term  unproven and IF anything is wrong with the Concept of extracting MORE POWER, there's nowhere left to go with that design.  It's fully tweaked.  Nev

• Informative 1

I saw this yesterday and spoke to the builder, Petr Gregory. It is a one off, using a VW engine. Probably a better use than for aircraft.

D764F976-FC8F-466B-9244-D8291B3BDF33.jpeg

Edited by pmccarthy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

More a quality control  thing than  complex technology AS A SOLUTION.  You seem to believe in fairies in the garden branding. Rotax= Perfect . Anything else is crap. There's no  conspiracy . It's not a larger Rotax. It's a more complex and expensive and more stressed one. How's it perfect when all the posts here are about issues with  it?. The boosted ones are yet long term  unproven and IF anything is wrong with the Concept of extracting MORE POWER, there's nowhere left to go with that design.  It's fully tweaked.  Nev

Were you on the Rotax design team nev. You are saying the engine has gone has far as it can go . How do you know what Rotax can do. It's the same as your comments about Rotax gearboxes. You reckon they are no good but people that own them have no trouble. You are a Rotax hater and I think it annoys you that they are such a great engine.😁

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1
  • Caution 1

13 hours ago, facthunter said:

More a quality control  thing than  complex technology AS A SOLUTIONInference: Other than the existing aero engine makers, no one else cam meet the necessary quality control standards - no offence but BS! 🤣

You seem to believe in fairies in the garden branding. We don't use the word "fairy" any longer its considered derogatory, that and my faith have nothing to do with this debate😎

Rotax= Perfect Your words certainly not mine and I disagree😜

Anything else is crap. Again your words and I still disagreed😜

There's no  conspiracy . Oooh! the conspiracy word, nasty! Never said that, just pointed out the parochial nature of the US economy, as it relates to small aircraft and associated technologies😁

It's not a larger Rotax. It's a more complex and expensive and more stressed one. There are two and my reference was to HP, what are you referring to? Mass? CC's? 😁

How's it perfect when all the posts here are about issues with  it?As above

The boosted ones are yet long term  unproven  (How long has the 914 been in production?) and IF anything is wrong with the Concept of extracting MORE POWER, there's nowhere left to go with that design.  It's fully tweaked.  (Your point being?) Nev

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

A VW powered motorbike?? I guess he holds up traffic for kilometres, too?

Used to be quite a common conversion on Harleys and BMW.
good torque for highway speeds, and had better carburetors for touring (altitude, humidity) 

• Informative 2

The " VW " in My Hummel bird,  is fan-cooled ,

That's cool. 

I ' must ' get that next prop finished. 

A big battery , relays , servo's . And radio receiver. 

Then an , ' IC Modeller Airfield ' , as my local is EV only .

( thinking outside the square ) .

spacesailor

• Like 2