Pilot dead after plane crash in bushland south of Townsville 11/09/2022

Have there been more aircraft accidents than normal this year.

I am getting parenoid about getting a licence when so many experienced pilots are getting into trouble.

Edited by BrendAn

6 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Have there been more aircraft accidents than normal this year.

I am getting parenoid about getting a licence when so many experienced pilots are getting into trouble.

Don't look at the numbers; look at the causes and ask yourself whether you would have done that. If you're doing what the instructor is teaching and doing the boowork correctly, that should see you eliminating a few of the crashes. Then study similar cases to the ones where you might have done the same.

The average was about 12 a year for a long time in RA, but in recent years there have been less. This year might just be a return to average.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Or is it because there is a lot more media coverage these days.

The local paper will report one as soon as they are told; the State papers have reporters checking the statistics daily for cars, boats, aircraft, so the reports should pretyy well match what is happeing.

• Like 1

The media is "embedded" (to use that notorious American term) with all the Police forces. The instant a report comes in for a major accident/crash/disaster, the media are all over it. "Scoops" are worth millions to them.

I have this feeling that there has been an increase in RA crashes in recent times, but the precise figures are not currently available. People are human and they make mistakes and poor decisions regularly, but a mistake or poor decision, when in control of an aircraft at low level often means a fatal result.

Remember that bad weather, and pressing on into it regardless, features high on the many reasons behind aviation crashes.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

I have this feeling that there has been an increase in RA crashes in recent times, but the precise figures are not currently available. People are human and they make mistakes and poor decisions regularly, but a mistake or poor decision, when in control of an aircraft at low level often means a fatal result.

Remember that bad weather, and pressing on into it regardless, features high on the many reasons behind aviation crashes.

This site picks up most RA accidents, but I think we lose a few that are reported in a local paper and no one reports them here. I've found a few of those over the years through ATSB reports or on google searches for other crashes.

From the incidents/Accidents thread on this site I picked up 3 RA fatalties for the year ( against about 8 for the same period in the years before covid).

In the same period 7 VH fatalities are listed. At 3,2,2 fatalities it shows the benefit of limiting RA to 2 people.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

56 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Jabiru with an engine failure AGAIN.   RIP 

I assume that you know that comment as an absolute contributing factor.  If not I would ask you to have it removed by the moderators.  I make this post with respect for yourself and others.  I will support your comment if it is definite information.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I see the pilot's name has been released and aircraft type reported as Jabiru, model undisclosed.  I don't know the area, but dr google's satellites disclose a lot of cane fields and fairly straight, flat rural roads which should have given a reasonable chance of pulling off a successful landing. RIP

It came from a pilot in the area who heard the call, spoke to him today at the airport.  How do you think they found the aircraft so quickly ?   They knew where to look because of the pilots call.  Do you want the pilot's name who heard the mayday call ?

Don't shoot the messenger if there is something you don't like hearing.

8 minutes ago, plugga said:

I see the pilot's name has been released and aircraft type reported as Jabiru, model undisclosed.  I don't know the area, but dr google's satellites disclose a lot of cane fields and fairly straight, flat rural roads which should have given a reasonable chance of pulling off a successful landing. RIP

Right on; the question is why didn't this person make a sucsessful forced landing.

It's a fact that pilots will be much more likely to have an engine failure in RA than GA

For that reason RA retrieves that imbalance by requiring a stall speed much slower than GA.

Therefore pilots following the rules of the Self Adnministering bodies will be forced landing at about 45 kts, so much less chance of a fatality.

Pilots who ignore those rules don't get the benefit of that safety policy.

One way to kill yourself is stall/spin on the way down.

Another way is to fly over land you can't land on.

We don't have the data yet but where the fire truck is, you wouldn't have a chance of surviving if you'd been flying over that scrub.

• Winner 1

To allay a lot of speculation and rumours, there was no Mayday call and almost certainly no engine failure. The photograph in the local paper was of a different aircraft involved on a different crash. Gutter journalism. Wait for the coroner’s report before shooting off your mouths and accepting hearsay as the truth. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 6