Pilot dead after plane crash in bushland south of Townsville 11/09/2022

19 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

it was a recent report and i think it may have been from the usa.   this one here is the earlier aus one when jabs were failing a lot more than the others.

The problem with this report is that it also incorporates Rotax two-stroke engines failures in its results and not just Rotax 4 stroke engines. 

This makes the failure rate much better for Rotax if you drop the two-stroke engine range, which then makes it a lot worse  for Jabiru.

It's just impossible to get the real figures

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good grief, you are dredging up stuff from 2014.

The initial reliability and engine failure stats that were cause for the Jabiru engine restrictions were wildly inaccurate & included fuel starvation & shutdowns on the ground etc. The initial figure was 40 but when the analysis was done it ended up as 12 & there were no fatalities involved. A couple of disgruntled ex RAA flight school operators who failed to maintain the engines as required, now working for CASA poured fuel on the issue. After the Senate enquiry the restrictions were lifted & the ex RAA employees were quietly let go. I have all the reports & details & do not intend to publish them here.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

Here is some information about SAOs

Learn about Self administering organisations:

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/sport-aviation/sport-aviation-self-administering-organisations

SAOs

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/sport-aviation/sport-aviation-self-administering-organisations#

This is an update from CASA free of the anecdotes that seem to float around.

Jabiru Engine Reliability Analysis Report File Ref: D16/181471 Source: CASA

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-08/jabiru-engine-reliability-analysis-report.pdf

On 13/09/2022 at 9:28 AM, jcruffle said:

To allay a lot of speculation and rumours, there was no Mayday call and almost certainly no engine failure. The photograph in the local paper was of a different aircraft involved on a different crash. Gutter journalism. Wait for the coroner’s report before shooting off your mouths and accepting hearsay as the truth. 

it was a j230 so maybe you should not be so quick to shoot your mouth off.

3 hours ago, BrendAn said:

it was a j230 so maybe you should not be so quick to shoot your mouth off.

Good advice, but I can’t find in the post you quoted where he even mentioned that it was any particular aircraft.

Where you referring to another quote?

3 hours ago, Kununurra said:

Good advice, but I can’t find in the post you quoted where he even mentioned that it was any particular aircraft.

Where you referring to another quote?

No. But now I read it again he said a different aircraft than the photo . Not that it wasn't a j230. If that makes sense.  Had my wires crossed.

From the RAA, Fatal Accident Communique, dated, 15 September 2022, that I received!

Although it would be unwise to speculate as to the cause of the accident, I can confirm the aircraft, a Jabiru J230 with one person onboard, collided with terrain in rugged bushland southeast of Mt Elliot.

Franco.

• Like 1