Accommodation on airfields

JG3

With increasing age, setting up camp and sleeping on the ground isn't as easy as it used to be, and in the vent of wet weather it sucks.... 

There are several airfields that have basic accommodation on site. Coonamble, has a donga, South Grafton has a couple of bunks in the clubhouse, Broken Hill has similar, Yarram has similar very convenient for trips across the water. That's all I can think of right now but hopefully there are more.

I reckon more airfields should make the effort to provide such a service. A disused donga is great, but even easier would be an old unregistered caravan.  Nothing fancy, just a couple of dry bunks at the right price.

Please add others that you know about. If there are enough I will draw up a Google Map to make flight planning and sleeping comfort easier.

• Like 4

apparently Rylstone have a couple of bunks set up for visitors and people transiting through the area that can't get over the hill into the Sydney basin because of weather around Mount Victoria and the closed airspace around Williamstown/Richmond. They are also happy to take you in town where there are dozens of accommodation options

9 hours ago, JG3 said:

Rylstone is a residential airpark, any more details?? 

I'm familiar with Boonah but don't know of any accommodation other than the hangar floor....

Boonah has bunkhouse and facilities at the gliding club

Edited by Area-51
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think it should open just when you click on the link.

Have you tried it recently??

I can't test it because it recognizes my computer automatically....

The biggest hurdle to provision of accommodation is that the aerodromes are owned by local councils which usually are not pro-aviation. Most of these council-owned aerodromes were handed over to them by the Federal Government around 1975 (I think that date is correct). The aerodromes are a liability to councils as they have to be maintained. Our council will mow the runway at Tooraweenah, but won't touch the shoulders or taxiway to the "terminal". That's the battle the museum society is having as we want the whole site to be pristine. We are trying to convince the council to hand over maintenance to the society so the job can be done right.

So if councils won't spend money keeping the aerodrome safe for operation, what makes you think that they would fork out hundreds of thousands to build short term accommodation? We are trying to work out how to finance the building of a simple accessible toilet block with two stalls and a water tank for hand washing. Our proposal for such a block was $20,000. A cabin, with a bedroom;  kitchenette/dining room, and bathroom/toilet is going to cost over $50,000. Then there is the costs for a caretaker.

At Tooraweenah we could get cabins built on the next-door property, but that would depend on the financial capabilities of the landowner and Council approval for the development.

I'm afraid that it's going to be a swag and a tarp over the wing for aerial tourists for a long time. 

• Informative 2

OME is absoloutely correct about airports being given to local governments. I believe John Anderson was the minister we can blame for this short-sighted blunder. Our Aero Club bought a hangar that had been built to house a small flying school. It has bunkrooms upstairs, toilets, shower and kitchen. When council officers heard that an apprentice had camped overnight there for a few days they went ballistic; it’s not zoned residential! 

We bought the building with big hopes of establishing a “safe haven” for southbound pilots.

Despite pointing out to the council officer the many fatalities caused by cloud and turbulence over the Liverpool Range, it took a long campaign for us to be allowed to use the bunk rooms for “emergency overnight accomodation” only.

• Informative 3