Accommodation on airfields

JG3

Grampians YGMP has accomodation but the guy Steve Price prefers PN. Very scenic flying in that neck of the woods.

anyway they all have accomodation if you take a tent and a bottle of scotch🤪

Edited by Steve L
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve L said:

Grampians YGMP has accomodation but the guy Steve Price prefers PN. Very scenic flying in that neck of the woods.

anyway they all have accomodation if you take a tent and a bottle of scotch🤪

Is that the old Asses Ears Lodge?

Do you have a contact for Steve at YGMP?

Did you know you can add Accommodation to an airfield in our Airfields list here on Recreational Flying. In fact you can add anything related to an airfield in that section.

Just go to the menu item Resources -> Airfields, click on the airfield you wish to add info to, click Comments on the pop out balloon and then add your comments/information in the next screen...hope this helps

• Informative 3

Ross,

that’s it Asses Ears. Steve’s number 0427 337405, a SMS maybe needed as reception was poor back then . . . been 3-4 years since I dropped in so I don’t know how covid played out for him. Need to visit again so I might suggest it to a small flying group 

I’m with.

John.

Kellermeister Sable has the edge on tawny, has a hint of choccy, goes down too easy.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Look really I don't see most airfields as a very exciting place to spend a night. Most people would want to have a look around the town and get a shower and decent meal. Asses Ears has a good catering  (licenced) facility. It's rough country leaving  to the East. Not the best for an engine out experience. It's sandstone ridges.  Spectacular views.  JNev

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, JG3 said:

Well, this idea didn't go very far..... Airfields with Accommodation map. There must be more such accommodation on airfields, but I understand how users are reluctant to publicize them due to council's disapproval of such unapproved but so convenient accommodation..... Sad.....

JG, would it make sense to widen the criteria to include on-field (or nearby) accommodation that you need to pay for (Tumut, for example)?  I agree that a basic space for free (or near) is the better option.  But sometimes you might be willing to pay Motel rates for a night if, otherwise, it makes your trip work better.

Would it make sense to widen the criteria to include on-field (or nearby) accommodation that you need to pay for. 

This map Airfields near Fuel, Pub and Food' pretty much does that already, l in that any pub will have accommodation or nearby. There is plenty of such accommodation available, which I do use sometimes when necessary.

I'm seeking that free or near free really basic accommodation. Ideal would be an old caravan parked on the airfield. Just a dry bunk for overnight is all I seek.

I realize all the restrictions on such, so I really applaud those airfields that find a way to do it anyhow. 

• Agree 1

the local council in my area does not allow anyone to stay overnight on the airfield except under emergency situations, we had to remove our bunkhouse as a overnight stay.  The council gives our club a peppercorn rent so they have the say on what we can or cant do in the club.

• Informative 2

By the way, the pub that used to be across the road from the Taree airport (mentioned on the map) is now closed. But there is cabin accommodation available at the Dawson River Tourist Park just 500 metres away (and 98 mogas at the adjacent servo). A McDonalds is a 1km hike further on but it's only a 5km cab ride into Taree town, anyway.

Edited by Garfly

Having a look in my J-230D yesterday. mentally measuring up for a rudimentary bed in it.  Since I will be flying remote areas mostly, just look out for a dirt road I can land on, taxi off the road safely, park for the night, fire up next morning and fly away. 🙂

Who needs an airstrip?

• Like 1

Fortunately I have time to scout the area looking for elements of danger, in an Emergency 

you don’t have that luxury, but  guide posts are not a risk to high wing aircraft, unlike road sighs which are far and few between in central and far west Qld. 

9 hours ago, jackc said:

Having a look in my J-230D yesterday. mentally measuring up for a rudimentary bed in it…

That was a selling point of the Foxcon 200- the seat was flat and laid back to become a bed. There was a trade-off- less comfort in flight, more while sleeping.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 18/10/2022 at 10:17 AM, Admin said:

Did you know you can add Accommodation to an airfield in our Airfields list here on Recreational Flying.

I found the entry for Toora, but couldn't enter any details. How do you do that?