Private hire

Lots of companies are advertising. 

I also asked , ' can I get a licensed pilot to be my chauffeur. If I paid for a hire aircraft ' .

The response was . Deafening  ! .

Good luck.

spacesailor

28 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Lots of companies are advertising. 

I also asked , ' can I get a licensed pilot to be my chauffeur. If I paid for a hire aircraft ' .

The response was . Deafening  ! .

Good luck.

spacesailor

I just wanted the aircraft but then i think it would become commercial if money is exchanged then the insurance would go sky high.

18 hours ago, shafs64 said:

wanted to ask can you only private hire from a flying school or can you hire and aircraft from anyone?

Thanks

You can indeed privately borrow or hire a plane from someone willing to do that. I've done it many times, no problem at all.

19 hours ago, 440032 said:

You can indeed privately borrow or hire a plane from someone willing to do that. I've done it many times, no problem at all.

Ok thanks, i looked on that flyhire site they were all GA

You will find any aircraft wet hire will have to operate as a certified aircraft. Its a different matter if you have a mate who has a aircraft and "lets" you fly it. it does not have to be a certified aircraft. The only thing is though that you would usually be named on his insurance policy...if he has one of course and also how many hours you have up will be taken into account for that policy. If its not insured then be prepared to soak up the bill for any repairs if you damage it though. 

• Informative 1

What you do with your own is up to you but IF you prang one you have borrowed it might strain the friendship even if it's the plane's fault.  I've flown plenty  when the owner is present except any test flying where it's nor smiled upon to carry others . There are some where I say THANKS but NO thanks because of what they are. How built and what condition.  Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

What you do with your own is up to you but IF you prang one you have borrowed it might strain the friendship even if it's the plane's fault.  I've flown plenty  when the owner is present except any test flying where it's nor smiled upon to carry others . There are some where I say THANKS but NO thanks because of what they are. How built and what condition.  Nev

Yes, it could change the relationship if you bend the aircraft. And the only other options are ownership or syndicate.

Some schools have aircraft they will set aside for rentals, ie day rental. There are also places around that will just do private hire, say a week or so but those I know of are ga only.

you can always also ring a school and ask about a long term rental. Be prepared to pay a rate that compensates for their loss of useage, they are businesses after all.

if you’re looking for regular longer term use though yeah it’s syndicate or ownership.

Aero clubs are another option. Cowra aero club rents the brumby 610 to members for $140 per hour wet. Forbes Parkes and Bathurst aero clubs have LSA and GA aircraft. Spoilt for choice in this area.  

On our insurance, we had to nominate the pilot's name, and was slightly more expensive if they have less than 100 hours time... so not that practical to add/subtract renters/borrowers.

BTW - I was able to add my daughter to the policy for her ab-initio training, but the insurer had to look at the flying school's track record when calculating the extra premium. 

Edited by SGM

On 03/06/2023 at 11:54 PM, shafs64 said:

wanted to ask can you only private hire from a flying school or can you hire and aircraft from anyone?

Thanks

To me, this question is simpler than the responses might indicate. To me there are two questions being asked here:

1. Can you only private hire from a flying school?

2. Can you hire an aircraft from anyone? 

Question 1: Because the question contains the word "only", the implication is that all other means are not possible. Therefore the answer has to be "No". There are other means, which the second part addresses.

Question 2: Because the question contains the word "anyone", then that trows open the hangar doors of flying schools, aero clubs and kind hearted souls. Therefore the answer is "Yes"

Following from the "Yes" answer to Question 2 comes the supplementary question: "What are the conditions that you must meet to hire from "anyone?". There are very many conditions, the main ones being proof of ability to pilot an aircraft; proof of familiarity with the particular aircraft (including currency), and next, implementation of a system for the owner of the aircraft to recover the costs of accidental damage to the plane, passengers and the public (that's the insurance bit). 

Obviously an agreement has to be met to deal with the operating costs of the aircraft from the fuel being used for the flight, through an allocation towards scheduled maintenance, and then the overheads.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

To me, this question is simpler than the responses might indicate. To me there are two questions being asked here:

1. Can you only private hire from a flying school?

2. Can you hire an aircraft from anyone? 

Question 1: Because the question contains the word "only", the implication is that all other means are not possible. Therefore the answer has to be "No". There are other means, which the second part addresses.

Question 2: Because the question contains the word "anyone", then that trows open the hangar doors of flying schools, aero clubs and kind hearted souls. Therefore the answer is "Yes"

Following from the "Yes" answer to Question 2 comes the supplementary question: "What are the conditions that you must meet to hire from "anyone?". There are very many conditions, the main ones being proof of ability to pilot an aircraft; proof of familiarity with the particular aircraft (including currency), and next, implementation of a system for the owner of the aircraft to recover the costs of accidental damage to the plane, passengers and the public (that's the insurance bit). 

Obviously an agreement has to be met to deal with the operating costs of the aircraft from the fuel being used for the flight, through an allocation towards scheduled maintenance, and then the overheads.

Plus it’s maintenance status and category .  Eg factory built and L2 maintained and maintenance uptodate etc?

It can be a giant step to aircraft ownership. It has some advantages but can be a lot more costly.  During your training it doesn't hurt to experience a few types and different training organisations.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It can be a giant step to aircraft ownership. It has some advantages but can be a lot more costly.  During your training it doesn't hurt to experience a few types and different training organisations.  Nev

I have been looking at that side of it. The cost of were to keep it. the insurance rego maintenance and all the other costs that i don't know about.

3 hours ago, shafs64 said:

the insurance rego maintenance and all the other costs that i don't know about.

That's where most young players fall into the trap. It's called "failure to research".

The first thing you should do is determine who is going to do the higher echelon maintenance. I would be seeking out someone who has a good reputation for doing the right thing. You want a bloke who'll tell you, "It's stuffed, mate. You need to replace it.", rather than the bloke who says, "You should be able to get away with it for a while yet."

Once you select your maintainer, have a good talk about the costs of his services. You want to know how much a straightforward service wound cost, and what problems the maintainer has experienced with your make and model of the plane you want to buy. I would also ask to see a representative set of logbooks of aircraft he ahs worked on. If the entries contain a lot of detail, then you can consider the maintainer to be thorough.

Once you know what your likely maintenance costs will be, you can shop around for insurance, which for the hull seems to be about 3 - 5 % of the sum insured. Then you add on your public liability to get your total insurance bill.

One essential thing to do, and which is frequently forgotten, is to invoice yourself for the flying you do, and make sure that you pay the invoice. If you do this, you will have the money socked away to immediately pay for routine maintenance; insurance; hangarage and a bit for those long-term jobs, like instrument calibrations and engine overhauls.

• Informative 2

In LAW the OPERATOR has the responsibility for the airworthiness of the aircraft.  That may be a  firm  an individual or the Pilot. THAT has to be sorted out. IF you hire from a flying School or an Aero Club the conditions should be made clear in an available document. .   Nev

6 hours ago, shafs64 said:

Good advice. a few years ago my wife picked up a book called the barefoot investor and we haven't looked back.

Not even to see if the librarian was still chasing you?

• Haha 2