the great electric car con

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Actually, I wonder where those wallets are made that that guy is selling 🤔

Did I ever say I don't like Chinese products. You hijacked the thread you could at least get your facts right.. 😁😁😁

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

the Chinese have built whole new cities on ideological grounds, and no-one lives in them.

The ideology involved did not come from the Government. It was a massive scam perpetrated to some degree, no doubt, by Chinese organised crime syndicates. It is the same ideology we see here with housing  - investment properties. Here we work to get some equity in the house we live in. Then we borrow against that equity to purchase an "investment property". The hope is that the rent will pay the mortgage on teh investment property and appreciation of property values will generate the money needed later in life to finance retirement. The same concept applied in China. Mums and Dads bought "off the plan", but, although the least expensive part of the building (the walls and floor) was built, the building was never fitted out to become habitable. 

Have you noticed in the usual weekend news reports of housing sales that many attendees are Chinese or Indian? At least in Australia when they invest their money to buy property, it is there to be seen and to move into.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

Did I ever say I don't like Chinese products. You hijacked the thread you could at least get your facts right.. 😁😁😁

You disparagingly said there must be some 'china lovers' here. Clearly you have an agenda posting that vid. It's all getting a bit political. Is there somewhere else you could post about your hatred of EVs? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

You disparagingly said there must be some 'china lovers' here. Clearly you have an agenda posting that vid. It's all getting a bit political. Is there somewhere else you could post about your hatred of EVs? 

Now I hate EVs ?.  😂😂😂😂😂🖕. And having just recovered from covid I have good reason to dislike china

Edited by BrendAn
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

There you go. Politics. 

I found this forum for you

https://hotcopper.com.au/discussions/politics/

30 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

There you go. Politics. 

I found this forum for you

https://hotcopper.com.au/discussions/politics/

I don't know what your problem is .

You didn't even watch the video and then you troll me . 

23 hours ago, old man emu said:

The ideology involved did not come from the Government. It was a massive scam perpetrated to some degree, no doubt, by Chinese organised crime syndicates. It is the same ideology we see here with housing  - investment properties. Here we work to get some equity in the house we live in. Then we borrow against that equity to purchase an "investment property". The hope is that the rent will pay the mortgage on teh investment property and appreciation of property values will generate the money needed later in life to finance retirement. The same concept applied in China. Mums and Dads bought "off the plan", but, although the least expensive part of the building (the walls and floor) was built, the building was never fitted out to become habitable. 

Have you noticed in the usual weekend news reports of housing sales that many attendees are Chinese or Indian? At least in Australia when they invest their money to buy property, it is there to be seen and to move into.

not necessarily,
there is a Chinese cultural issue around "used" things having little to no value.
there is a lot of apartments for example in the docklands that are bought by Chinese and left empty.
because if someone moves in then it is no longer a new apartment, and in their eyes devalued. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, spenaroo said:

not necessarily,
there is a Chinese cultural issue around "used" things having little to no value.
there is a lot of apartments for example in the docklands that are bought by Chinese and left empty.
because if someone moves in then it is no longer a new apartment, and in their eyes devalued. 

Rent is a relatively low return on investment in new apartments. Capital Gain is much more productive and an unused apartment brings a better price  Chinese who have done well in business are flowing with capital.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Rent is a relatively low return on investment in new apartments. Capital Gain is much more productive and an unused apartment brings a better price  Chinese who have done well in business are flowing with capital.

Another reason to reform the tax system, which has become totally corrupted in favour of the rich.

If this inequity continues, we may end up with blood on the wattle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IF you get a recession even houses lose their value. Rent return is rarely above about 3.5%. IF you move about a lot  you don't need or want to own a house. It's not everybodies ultimate dream. IF you rent you avoid many problems associated with ownership. WE have the biggest most expensive houses in the world and gamble much more. There are other ways to put your money to good use if that's your aim to build it up. Inflation takes it from you but makes your debts easier to settle. It's not designed to suite the average poor Bastard.  Nev

• Like 3

It would take a strong leader to get Australia weaned off some of the crippling habits that stunt our nation: gambling, negative gearing and investing too much of our national capital in the family home.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 2

No different to Gun reform....

would take some politicians ready to fall on the sword, knowing they wont be re-elected.
knowing it will take years afterwards for the public to acknowledge it was the right thing to do

If only we had an opposition that needs to re-invent itself, and is pretty much guaranteed not to get in next election so can go hard and call the government out on all this......

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/06/2023 at 4:11 PM, Thruster88 said:

The guy in the vid is Trevor Jacobs cousin.  

this bloke has some very interesting videos on china and a lot of comments from chinese people backing him up.

he was an english teacher in china for 14 years and is married to a chinese doctor. i don't know what trevor jacobs has to do with it.

On 18/06/2023 at 9:42 AM, old man emu said:

i just put up a video that pretty much describes what you said here.  

One thing's for sure - a surplus of idle EV's won't dent anything in the Chinese economy - but their property bubble is going to have an impact for years to come, just like Japans property bubble of the late 1990's did to Japan.

And the Japanese have still never properly addressed their property bubble losses, some of the big Japanese banks are still carrying forward massive property losses from that era.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Entrepeneurs keep on striving for never ending growth even though throughout the ages they eventually crash and burn. Environmental damage has not abated even though we know that global temperatures are rising and all the agreements to date have failed. The 1.5 degrees increase by 2100 has well gone and 2 degrees is now unlikely. We will all be dead when it all happens but some may be around to see the tipping point to global catastrophe. There are now over 8 billion of us. There were 2.5 billion when I was born. Growth is slowing but will reach around 11 billion before starting to retract.

We have the capacity to deal with it and save civilisation as we know it but eternal greed and quick money over rules sensibility and always has.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

22 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Whatever your take on things, ENDLESS growth must still by definition be  IMPOSSIBLE. Nev

I have watched 60 minutes and dateline episodes on the same thing and they all come to similar conclusions.