Bunbury accident 1 March 2024

Hope he makes it.  "Critical" is not good.

Zenith CH-750 by the looks of it.  Might be a 701 with added windows aft of the door.

Looks like polished bare aluminium which is unusual for these slab sided planes.  Wonder if it was test flying before painting?

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

This is the sort of crash where you want the battery to have a isolator at the battery, like GA aircraft. Maybe even double pole. and have non cracking insulated covers on  exposed  terminals 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

VH Rego (can see it on the 9News picture).  Media are saying it was at the end of the runway.  His injuries - facial & smashed pelvis.  He was lucky the accident was quickly reported and responded to.  Hoping for a good recovery.

7NEWS.COM.AU

It took rescue teams about 25 minutes to free the man from the mangled aircraft.

WWW.9NEWS.COM.AU

A pilot is fighting for his life after a light plane crash south of Perth.

• Informative 1

9 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Looks like polished bare aluminium which is unusual for these slab sided planes.  Wonder if it was test flying before painting?

No way anyone would spend all that time polishing just to make the paint hard to keep on. I think he meant it when he polished it!

• Like 1

Certainly NOT the way you'd want things to turn out. You never know what's around the corner for you. How disappointing for him. I hope He recovers well.  Nev

• Like 1

The wind has been screaming from the SE for the last 24 hrs, as a big high pressure system moves into the Bight, and it's coming up against a big trough running N-S through the Western part of W.A., and a low pressure system N of Geraldton. I was in the Wheatbelt yesterday, and the wind was relentless, strong and gusty - with some vicious gusts to probably 30kts.

The record shows the wind from the SE at Bunbury at 3:00PM was at 13kts, and gusting to 20kts. I wouldn't be surprised if a vicious gust was behind this upset.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The BUN runway is 07, almost a direct crosswind all day 15-20 knots.

The factory crosswind capability is quoted as 'remarkable'.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)

remarkable only for  experienced on type, no doubt .

There has to be more to this. No sane pilot goes off into full on type crosswinds with little time on type. ....

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

There have been several wind related upsets on 07 at Bunbury over the years. DPW,(formerly CALM), had a few in their Cubs. One CPL did his C182 an injury that I remember. There's a lot of mechanical turbulence over the trees on the S side and this requires some skilful handling. Hope he makes it, and I hope his accident account serves a solid lesson to all pilots.

• Informative 2

Unless there's dust you won't see a twister/ dust devil and expect more as  the weather gets more varied and extreme. The most frightening things Ive encountered in a life time of flying are wind related..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Looks like a  Zenith 750 Cruzer from the tail. Crosswind demonstrated somewhere around 15 kts but you need your wits about you.

Edited by walrus
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Actual winds recorded at 1/2 hour intervals won't  do a great job at picking twisters. They are quite localised. You'll often notice them when driving in flat warm areas . and more likely at the warmest time of the day, with light to moderate winds. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

I think it's a Zenith rather than a Sav, because it's got the "inverted airfoil" HS, and the all-flying rudder. 

Actually looking at the shape of the windows aft of the door, and the fact that it's VH registered, I reckon it might be a CH-801 (4 seat model).

Something's wrong there.  It's definitely not a Cruzer because the tail surfaces are all wrong for that.  Plus the VH register shows it as being 700kg MTOW where the Cruzer is 599kg.

image.png.93a64ee0eac680850a557d3b0b1aa10c.pngCH-801 - note the tail surfaces and windows aft of the door

image.png.96486461063e9b2d4189aa1eb7a405fb.png750 Cruzer - standard fin and rudder, symetrical HS, curved rear window

image.thumb.png.1a49acd6ed1539863a4d74050cda074c.pngCrashed a/c -same flying rudder, inverted airfoil HS and double rectangular windows as the 801

• Informative 2

The window arrangement does not look like a Zenith 750 Cruzer or STOL, neither does the door, which on a 750 is a one piece bubble. The Cruzer doesn't have an inverted stabiliser and the 750 STOL doesn't have those tips on the stabiliser. Neither of them comes standard with hub caps. Both the Cruzer and 750 STOL are good for 650 kg MTOW. Perhaps it is a 701, 801, Savannah or some sort or some modified combination.

It appears that the aircraft was only registered a month ago, so that suggests the pilot didn't have much time on type.

The behavior of  some light aircraft in a strong crosswind can be challenging. You need to remember the rules for control positions when taxiing and be very, very careful to ensure that the upwind wing never gets too high an angle of attack.

If it is a ZEenith type, the full span flaperons get quite heavy when drooped as flaps and while they are very effective you have to be ready to apply some muscle make them work and to keep that into wind wing down and under control.

In any case I hope the pilot pulls through.

• Like 1