AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that looks like a rocket. Nothing beat the RZ500's etc when it came to arm wrenching zip! As honest as I can be, they need a track to be any fun.

The only remaining 2 stroke of my dreams is a CR500E motard. Beautiful!

Don't think it would like the highway though....

yep

I have had along association with bikes, currently 3, FJ1100, TRX 850 TT600.I love the functional beauty of bikes and planes,the feeling of pulling out of turns is the same on both, so is tipping it in. Bike and planes are not like cars, because you are really there.

• Agree 1

Speaking of Motorcycles - There is a new toy in the toy-box, and it is FANTASTIC + goes like a cut cat even while taking it easy running it in.

[ATTACH]7367.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7368.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7369.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7370.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7371.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7372.vB[/ATTACH]

IMG_8063.jpg.74279756b35bc56f0d5bfd2396168c26.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg.06a2884a0fb9f1b19d20a9e9b43fbd35.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg.38879038e189edefaa84db71de3f26ce.jpg

IMG_8066.jpg.ffc638d66f54bd7e26cf50afb9183a42.jpg

IMG_8067.jpg.28171fb2f9fc683d2aa1c14ec5f3b319.jpg

IMG_8068.jpg.94a69ab4b442894e7e74a4bb587682a4.jpg

Captain,

How you finding the 109 in the handling aspect. My old man has a 08 model with the pipes done and it goes like as you said but I find it likes to stand up in the corners.

Still a great bike though and probably the best Jap cruiser ever made, having said that best any cruiser, we all know that harleys arn't real bikes:laugh:

M109? If so, it's the perfect cross between cruiser and sporty! It's on the wish list...

Spot on Seb & leave it on your list. They are as good as the reports have said.

Bla .... it appears to handle fine. I only got it today but have had both pegs scraping and the chicken lines over to about 10 mm from the side of the tyre. It steers slow, takes a bit of getting used to, that fat back tyre gives it a unique but good feel when cranked over, it benefits from a bit of body lean and is totally different to punt than my BMW, but with a little power on thru corners it seems to track true and hasn't wanted to stand up yet. But it may without the power on. I'll give it a run at a track day once run in (should be a giggle) and will drop you a line to give you my impression of what it's like when getting into it a bit more.

Regards Geoff

• Like 1

That would be good. I am hoping to take Dad's to the next track day for a bit of fun. You might be right about the power in on corners thing. I wasn't really paying attention and probably would have backed of a bit. I reccomend if you havent already done so to get the pipes changed and a SFI fitted. Not to loud but gives a lot more punch.:thumb_up:

I reccomend if you havent already done so to get the pipes changed and a SFI fitted. Not to loud but gives a lot more punch.:thumb_up:

Do you have a website link to those pipes?

I reckon that the standard pipes sound really good and nicely loud, so the aftermarket ones will need to sound good. I have heard the cobra pipes which are too loud for me and the note sounded harsh.

Vance & Hines pipes have been recommended by another owner but I'll need to hear them to see if they suit.

Do you have a website link to those pipes?I reckon that the standard pipes sound really good and nicely loud, so the aftermarket ones will need to sound good. I have heard the cobra pipes which are too loud for me and the note sounded harsh.

Vance & Hines pipes have been recommended by another owner but I'll need to hear them to see if they suit.

Dad's pipes were done by Motorcycle Exhaust Professionals in Brisbane, They are actually the original's modified so the look is unchanged and they are highly skilled at giving you the sound you want. I am not a fan of bikes being to loud but these sound great and their workmanship is great.

Once the pipes are done installing a Staintune SFI is a good idea. They are a more simpliar version of a power commander and it just alows the EFI to be tuned to the pipes. Without it it rode like a tractor:laugh:

Guest kiwilad

My bikes got more and more sedate as the years passed. CBX 750-VT 750-KlX 650-KLX 300-Gasgas 250 trials,no bikes anymore and waiting for my first trike to arrive:clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Something Different

This is a different way of doing things

H

"Hubless wheels work by fixing the rotating parts (brake ring, bearings, hubless rim) onto the outer side of a non-rotating inner ring that attaches to the motorcycle's swingarm or forks.

Advantages include decreased unsprung weight, reduced structural stress (no spokes to transmit forces through), increased braking leverage, more accurate steering, reduced vibration and a lower center of gravity."

[ATTACH]7506.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7507.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7508.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7509.vB[/ATTACH]

bike1.jpg.4504cdd8ef638d180581f8c339e790ff.jpg

bike2.jpg.c8b07bbb84e651a1b782e2c7f0be5263.jpg

bike3.jpg.ec3f85bee9ffce7fc0d822333b818ad2.jpg

bike4.jpg.819998d371669cf60a156d23038e6d10.jpg

Re Something Different. I don't have a bike but would if I had the cash. However, that bike has to be the bike of the year. I've seen the principle before, on an English bike I think. Two major draw backs though. First and foremost, it must cost an arm and a leg to have those 'wheels' made. I'd like to see an exploded drawing of how it's done. Secondly, with the end of the front forks being so low, you wouldn't want to heel her over to much or they'll dig in and bit you. bl**dy mean machine though.

I onced watched a show when they were building a bike with those hubs. The cost of the hubsthemselves were reasonable but the bearings needed as they are the size of the outside not the axel were a 20k custom job. The first ones lasted 3000kms.

They still look great though

Vincent Comet, 500 single, seized at 170 km/hr which was exciting, didn't know what a piece of history I had, but remember the aluminium overhead gear rattled so much you could hear it from a long way off, and it dropped oil on all the nice driveways.

Vespa Motor scooter, practiced laying it over from side to side on a beach north of Adelaid until the gearbox caught and it threw me along the beach, fortunately in soft sand.

Mini Bike, built it with engine hinged and belt drive used as progressive gearbox, very bumpy.

Mini Bike with McCulloch chainsaw motor, opened the throttle, came on the power band and the entire bike took off from underneath me leaving me to skid on my bum along the concrete.

Mini bike with coil spring front suspension and Vespa motor, good, light bike to travel bush tracks.

Vespa with Triumph 500 Speed Twin engine and two wheel rear axle to make a trike. Hit some bumps, instinctively put my leg out to steady the bike and ran over it, dragging me off the bike - not one of my best design successes.

Built a Formula 500 speedway car with the Speed Twin and that was the end of the bikes.

• 4 years later...
Nothing off road? IF I have learned to ride, that is where I did it. Nev

G'day Facty,

I rode 2 day Enduros on IT400 Yamahas when younger, but now know how much it hurts, so my GS Adventure never gets dirty off-road and is a GREAT road bike anyway.

Regards Geoff

• Like 1

I've never really committed to road riding. There is too much diesel smoke, wind buffeting and fool tin top drivers. I have done 1200 kms in a day on my worked Sportster ( I won't do that again).and ridden across Australia. Perth-Sydney, on a 94 year old Indian, and with a bit of luck will do Adelaide-Darwin next year on the same bike.

My list of bikes would be considerable but with"funny" names like Waratah BSA RUDGE, Reading Standard, Flying Merkel Pope AJS Royal Enfield, Norton, Harley, American Excelsior, Indian, ARIEL FN, Hagon-JAWA 4V, Hagon JAP, Rotrax-JAP.. Douglas Invincible-JAP, etc that most would not identify with. I have never had work done by another bike shop unless it is servicing under warrantee and I have worked on bikes since age 10 when I bought the Waratah, so I am a bit of a rusted on bike nut. (Bikes are a form of art) Mechanical nut really, as I used to do a lot with race cars . Nev

I never thought I would see anyone publicly say he had owned a Flying Merkel Pope AJS Royal Enfied. I can just imagine FH walking in to the local Hells Angels (if they haven't all been shot) bar and coming out with that mouthful - there'd be a pregnant silence lasting 10 minutes!