Here's an odd question.

red750

Although I am younger than some members of this site, if not by much, I am not getting any younger, so some random thoughts have been floating around in my head.

If I get cremated when I die, what is the possibility of having my ashes scattered from a plane over bushland, or open country like the Yarra Valley? Is such a thing possible, and what approvals would need to be sought? Not that this is likely for some time, just wondering.

• Winner 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a cemetery site: 

In Victoria, state and local councils do not generally require you to arrange a permit to scatter ashes, however there are exceptions to this. Local council and other public bodies have varying requirements concerning the disposal of ashes, with some having no formal or published policy. If you are thinking about scattering ashes, it is always safest to research the area first.

If you are a Catholic:

The practice of scattering ashes has grown so much – even among Catholics, who are strongly urged to opt for burial – that the Vatican last year issued guidelines saying ashes shouldn't be kept at home or divided among family members. It was not permitted to scatter ashes in the air, land or sea because it would give the appearance of "pantheism, naturalism or nihilism".

As for our Lords and Masters at CASA this says it all: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2005B00836. For once they've approved something that will please all.

• Haha 1

From a cemetery site: 

In Victoria, state and local councils do not generally require you to arrange a permit to scatter ashes, however there are exceptions to this. Local council and other public bodies have varying requirements concerning the disposal of ashes, with some having no formal or published policy. If you are thinking about scattering ashes, it is always safest to research the area first.

If you are a Catholic:

The practice of scattering ashes has grown so much – even among Catholics, who are strongly urged to opt for burial – that the Vatican last year issued guidelines saying ashes shouldn't be kept at home or divided among family members. It was not permitted to scatter ashes in the air, land or sea because it would give the appearance of "pantheism, naturalism or nihilism".

As for our Lords and Masters at CASA this says it all: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2005B00836. For once they've approved something that will please all.

Yeah, 'cos the Vatican is so up to date and in tune with society's values in the 21st century...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I scattered the ashes of a pilot mate from my RV-9 last year. I built a small pod that bolted to the wing tie down and used a pair of linear actuators to open the bottom door. With minimum fuel his wife was actually able to come with me and be the one to press the button over the mountains northwest of Brisbane. 

45579279392_a600d0265d_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Nope. ?

I built the -9, I built the pod, test flew it empty, test flew it loaded, and tested releasing simulated cremains. Same as the GoPro attachment on the fin. I installed it prior to the first flight so it was there as part of the flight test program. If CAsA want to make a song and dance about it later on for the next buyer, they don't have a leg to stand on.

• Like 2

Another option to a device such as RVAC uses is to have the ashes 'decanted' into a paper bag or two with the top folded over, not tied or taped.  When you drop the paper bag out the storm window it opens on the way down.  This works well and avoids ashes all over the cabin.

OMG!!! - permission to drop ashes over a remote (non populated area) ??? Why give the jumped up bureaucracy any say in it at all?

L to F has the right idea  - KISS - just chuck the lot out the window, in an organic container (paper bag) that will open in free fall - Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust never more apt.

Personally I favour composting - virtually nil energy required (transport of baody to site, forming up of composting pile and spreading of end product) ,complete decomposition nto component parts  & the result is something useful, that can be used to grow flowers or veggies if you prefere.

• Like 1

A friend, following her late husband's wishes, scattered his ashes from their 172. Unfortunately, they all blew back into the aircraft, apparently took months to get rid of it all.

So just "out the window" won't work!

IF you plant the ashes in with the root zone of a new tree, nearly all of the atoms will end up in the tree as part of it. What could be more natural and nice? Nev.

Just think of all that fuel used to cremate the carcass, the cost of the furnace, buildings, facilities in general AND the ridiculous add ons by the funeral companies to make extra $$$$ from grieving/vulnerable relatives. 

Composting - the better way and all the "fractions" that would be lost in burning are retained for use by your/family choice of vegetation. I quite like the idea of feeding a fruit tree - the conversation might go like this - "nice Pink Lady, Grandad tastes pretty sharp today"

• Like 1

A friend, following her late husband's wishes, scattered his ashes from their 172. Unfortunately, they all blew back into the aircraft, apparently took months to get rid of it all.

So just "out the window" won't work!

Check out  LtoF's neet KISS solution. It must work cause I have dropped "flower bombs" in aero comps using the same principal.

Friend of mine had the job of scattering a fellow skydiver in freefall.

Or that was the theory: he couldn't get the lid off, then the ashes didn't want to come out, and when the fence-posts and telegraph poles began  visually to spread out under him, he chose life for himself and let the deceased go.

They spent the rest of the day searching, but never did find the remains of the remains.

Fortunately, the widow felt her late husband would have found it hugely amusing.....and went home quite happy....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Unusually morbid topic, but an interesting one

I never understood the appeal of scattering ashes, especially at a location with no particular significance to the deceased.  My Old dad (still going strong bless him!) has picked out and reserved a little resting spot in an orchard to be buried and re-enter the ecosystem that way.  I really respect that...The cycle of life.

Alan

• Like 2

The person whose ashes they are couldn't care as they are dead. It is only the living that worry about these things. I'd like to be of some use as fertiliser & want to be put there like I have buried my dogs, just me with nothing else, not even clothes. Coffins & flash handles etc are a massive waste of resources & don't readily break down. The funeral industry wouldn't like it though as there'd be less to profit from but no doubt they would find something else to gouge from your estate.

• Like 2

Good business to be in as everyone's going to die. The aim of business is to be as profitable as possible and we like to just hand over to experts without bothering with details too much. Funerals are predictable and generally sanitised. Some go quite well . Some are little short of mortifying (no pun intended) in their lack of awareness and feigned sincerity. I don't want one as I consider it a waste of money which could be spent on better things, particularly when it's the less well off involved and the living are finding it tough, so often.. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I had thought of getting permission to be scattered on or near a grass runway I used to train at, but thought I'd ask the question in the OP.

• Like 1

The person whose ashes they are couldn't care as they are dead. It is only the living that worry about these things. I'd like to be of some use as fertiliser & want to be put there like I have buried my dogs, just me with nothing else, not even clothes. Coffins & flash handles etc are a massive waste of resources & don't readily break down. The funeral industry wouldn't like it though as there'd be less to profit from but no doubt they would find something else to gouge from your estate.

True ! true ! - The dead dont care but the living often like to carry out the wishes of the departed - gives the living a nice warm inner glow. Even I like to reflect on my Fathers (ashes) resting place, overlooking Galway Bay, Co Clare, Eire, the land of his birth.

As for burial, there is a small problem - burial takes space & the body tends to leach "stuff" into the subsoil. Not a problem at all, on a rural property BUT once you have mass/cemetery style burial it can be. Rural families have buried their dead on the family farm since time immemorial. - no problem!

Those that happen to believe it is necessary to be in "consecrated" ground might may have a problem with this but there you go, faith will require the faithfull to pay ($$) the cost also a long standing and lucrative tenant of many religions (interesting how commerce/politics and religion often have parallels).

I had thought of getting permission to be scattered on or near a grass runway I used to train at, but thought I'd ask the question in the OP.

I guess if you wish for some sort of farewell  service you will need permission to close the field BUT if its just the depositing of some ash - who needs to know??

As for burial, there is a small problem - burial takes space & the body tends to leach "stuff" into the subsoil.

I reckon it depends upon what stuff you have put into your body when alive. The amount of medication some people take to stay alive is frightening so the body may not be particularly organic. Pehaps if I drink enough I will be preserved so embalming is unnecessary. I'm not sure how I'd achieve that but it would be interesting to try & that would kill me anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently read the autobiography of  Phil Collins (the drummer bloke with the band Genesis).  He tells an unfortunate anecdote.

He explains how his old man died in  the early seventies  just as the band were beginning to hit the big time.  He returned from a tour of the US to attend the funeral, where his dad's body was cremated. Dad had requested his ashes scattered on a favorite beach in UK. 

As he was writing his autobiography, Phil checked with his brother to confirm the story of how his dads final wishes had been fullfilled.  The brother responded  that  he had thought that Phil had been the one to take the urn and spread the ashes. The two brothers do a bit of investigation and it turns out that poor Dad's ashes had been left in an urn after the funeral service, abandoned at the crematorium and now lost forever. Tragic, but just goes to show the even the rich and famous can be blighted by stuff-ups!

Alan

I like the old idea of burial on the family farm, but it's not available to most of us. With increasing job mobility, most graves end up neglected.

Eco burials sound like the least wasteful way to dispose of our used corpses, but they still cost money and the location may be far from family. That's a major attraction of cremation: you can put the ashes pretty much wherever you like.

Sacred ground is a nice idea. I believe the Mebourne Cricket Ground staff have quite a problem with people spreading ashes.

• Like 1