New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

so, where's your engine then? When that's ready JE wont get a look in

I didn't want to suggest perhaps a hint of vested interest in the criticism of my suggestion to buy a Rotax if you want a tried and tested product, but since you mention it ...............!Paul Toone

No more than we have come to expect, but until he has an engine, does it really matter?

I just noticed these posts, I find incredulous the overtone that because my engine isn't on the market yet that I don't have the right to comment on others. This forum would leave the sole rights of posting about engines to Ian Bent and Paul Churnicoff if that was the case.

My engine is far from being my sole business interest, in fact it's one of the least important currently, but will be moved forward in priority soon and is coming along quite nicely otherwise thank you and I keep the forum Admin up to do date with it's progress.

Hope that helps.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Bex .....don't feel offended or "got at" , People are full of interest for your engine. We are all willing you to succeed.........................You have as much right to comment as anyone else here.....

• Informative 1

If it is any consolation, I don't read any "overtone" in those statements.

It is OK though for reasonable people to see talk as cheap. That should not be construed as criticism.

And as well, those in a competitive business situation with another, far from having special license to comment instead need to be especially cautious.

• Agree 3

• 9 months later...

This is the latest information from Viking. I always thought that they were 110 hp engines but now they are claiming 130 horsepower. Keeping in mind that this is of course a marketing exercise by Viking it would still seem that his comparison appears to show that the Viking has quite a lot more torque than the UL Power UL350 and Rotax (Islamic State?) IS100 engines:

LIGHT AIRCRAFT ENGINE PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

ENGINE BRAND / MODEL HP TORQUE AT PROPELLER (ft.lb)

UL350 130 236

ROTAX 912 IS 100 217

VIKING 130 130 280

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=%2B05c1slrzoa1WU3zauctUZhQlFXjR8dze8BAwY%2Fh%2FI8%3D0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.ning.com%2Ffiles%2Fb8YL1Nsfi8lyL2uf8t3HQslTaD0OHDB-vei0uqKrQGJmT2ecmyZk6-hla3tGZbW2DEgFeHfX9xilmtz0UqnJFo7Q68BSvxI2%2F130dynochartfinal640.png

Visit Viking Aircraft Engine Forum at: http://vikingaircraftengines.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

• Caution 1

This is the latest information from Viking.  

now they are claiming 130 horsepower.

VIKING 130 130 280

How do you take a used 110hp engine, put longer inlet manifolds and extra drive components and get 130hp ....? ... You don't.

There are a couple of 120hp and rarer 130hp L15 Honda engines, but not available in America from the standard Honda Fit that the Viking is sourced from. Yes further exhaust, cam and some fiddling might see 120+hp but then you have just stepped out of the bounds of Honda's millions of dollars of research and development for some backyard mods - no thanks.

Or very simply, follow the whole process Jan with independent witnesses and stick it on a dyno for all to see.

• Agree 2

I think both UL Power and the D Motor could be useful (read: more reasonably priced) overseas alternatives to the Rotax and there is of course our own, home-grown Jabiru/DAMIT engine as well.

~

092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif In the pipeline: I am very much looking forward to what our friend Bex will come up with, in due time. Good things will definitely be worth waiting for!

Is the UL Power selling then?The D-motor seems yo have fizzled out...... any installs in Aus?

There is a D-Motor somewhere about Boonah.

Have no details but what I have been told it is performing very well.

Regards,

KP.

• Informative 1

This is the latest information from Viking. I always thought that they were 110 hp engines but now they are claiming 130 horsepower. Keeping in mind that this is of course a marketing exercise by Viking it would still seem that his comparison appears to show that the Viking has quite a lot more torque than the UL Power UL350 and Rotax (Islamic State?) IS100 engines: 

LIGHT AIRCRAFT ENGINE PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

ENGINE BRAND / MODEL HP TORQUE AT PROPELLER (ft.lb)

UL350 130 236

ROTAX 912 IS 100 217

VIKING 130 130 280

912 iS is for the fuel injected version of the 912S.

The Viking 130 is not the earlier, abandoned L15A7 engine core with turbocharging of the same name. This one is using the direct injection version of the L15, the L15B i-VTEC. AFAIK, it's the Earth Dream version. That means that it is Atkinson cycle, not Otto Cycle. Whether or not it operates on Atkinson cycle after Jan's ministrations, I don't know. But I would presume that he would set it up with fixed valve timing for otto cycle.

As always, the Rotax values are for the end of the 2,000 hour TBO and can be relied on, the propeller hub torque at maximum continuous power for the 912 iS is actually 235 ft/lb @ 2,060 Prop. RPM, they understate it.

The Viking torque value is at 1,980 propeller RPM, 110 HP, 130 HP comes @ 2,630 RPM prop, 6,100 engine.

The 912 iS had a free upgrade (SB-912 I-003iS R1) to 912 iS Sport, which has a max. continuous power of 136 HP @5,500 RPM engine/2,264 RPM prop, , despite still being sold as a 100 HP engine. For practical purposes, the iS is obsolete.

So the current version makes 238 ft/lb at the propeller flange.

I hope this helps.

• Informative 1

How do you take a used 110hp engine, put longer inlet manifolds and extra drive components and get 130hp ....? ... You don't.There are a couple of 120hp and rarer 130hp L15 Honda engines, but not available in America from the standard Honda Fit that the Viking is sourced from. Yes further exhaust, cam and some fiddling might see 120+hp but then you have just stepped out of the bounds of Honda's millions of dollars of research and development for some backyard mods - no thanks.

Or very simply, follow the whole process Jan with independent witnesses and stick it on a dyno for all to see.

You're probably thinking of the earlier L15A series engines. This one is the L15B with direct injection from the later part of the 3rd generation fit/jazz, which makes 130 HP out of the box. The torque/power curves on the Viking site match that engine. That is the current engine used in the North American version.

• Informative 1

You're probably thinking of the earlier L15A series engines. This one is the L15B with direct injection from the later part of the 3rd generation fit/jazz, which makes 130 HP out of the box. The torque/power curves on the Viking site match that engine. That is the current engine used in the North American version.

2 things;

1/ The Viking uses used engines from wreckers, the L15B has only been out for a year.

2/ The L15B is Direct Injection ... end of story for a light aircraft (aftermarket scenerio).

I have extreme doubt there is a retail 130hp Viking engine available not that I have any problem with the 110 - 115hp version.

I got a quote from the Dmotor guy here in OZ 2 weeks ago for the 125HP 6 cyclinder and it was around $31,500 delivered to my door inc GST.

How much for just one? You could buy a decent car for that.

I am acutely aware more than anyone else of the position I have put myself into on a confidence level about my engine program, but it is actually all happening and about to start setting up factory etc.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2
  • Caution 1

How much is the 912 IS with all the bits?....probably close to the same giving the current poor state of our dollar

Looking at the videos the 6cyl Dmotor is just a 4cyc with another 2 pots so all the parts are the same so not sure how much the 4cyc is. I am looking at building a new aircraft a Rans S20 Raven but would like a little bit more grunt up the front. Hope you are going to do a bit bigger engine too Bex?

• Like 1