aircraft missing from Monto

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MM I think, going by reports, he was well and truly in the whiteroom for a while... lost in non VMC.... and they had a short duration EPIRB activation they are obviously focusing on that being best estimation on last location.

Has it been stated by authorities that it was in fact an EPIRB received momentarily. Why no fix on this beacon by the Satelite? I am thinking that ATC MAY have received a transponder squawk 7700 (ICAO emergency code) as it was about this time that the pilot was trying to establish comms with BNE Centre and was lost on a frequency change.

Cheers

14? You would only use so many if you needed to cover a wide area and were not sure of where to look. Where would they get that many?

This feels very close to home, we all knew that Dragon, and flew in the area it flew in, and I flew in the same weather earlier in the weekend and got on the ground in the sunniest area I was able to.

I really hope all works well.

Why no fix on this beacon by the Satelite?

406 transmits who immeadiately then every 50 seconds. If GPS then who and where after GPS has a fix (few minutes). If no GPS then 406 fix to a few km after a few satellite passes (hours). A weak 121.5 signal is transmitted for homing with all the problems of homing in a hilly forested area. If single transmission then not much to go on.

The Kannad PLBs in the Recreational Flying Shop will transmit for 24hrs which I thought was a requirement of PLBs. Naturally an enormous amount of impact or fire will prevent them from working for that 24hr period...or in water...that's why I like the Kannads as they will continue to transmit in water as they float vertically on their own. I would guess that fire damaged terrain would have been spotted by now.

It is all taking far too long however there is always hope...and that's what I am doing!

406 transmits who immeadiately then every 50 seconds. If GPS then who and where after GPS has a fix (few minutes). If no GPS then 406 fix to a few km after a few satellite passes (hours). A weak 121.5 signal is transmitted for homing with all the problems of homing in a hilly forested area. If single transmission then not much to go on.

Thanks JC. I was aware of GPS / Non GPS. I was just trying to establish if anyone has heard WHAT type of beacon and/or ATC transponder was heard and as you stated may have been a small squirt on 121.5. I know what it is like chasing 121.5 over land. I was a Nav on P3 Orions (5500hrs) and we were often tasked with trying to locate this type of beacon. Over water was much easier.

Cheers

Backing up what Andy said about SPOT - I've had one for several years and think it is fantastic. Someone at home can sit and watch your track every two minutes, and the emergency function will work just about anywhere in the world.....I watched a friend ride around the USA for a week and could track him at any time of the day. Fantastic safety device.

• Like 1

Just an idea. Assuming one or serveral passengers had mobile phones - its unlikely they were turned off for a short hop. Why not try and see if any of these are hitting local towers and possibly be triagulated?

Just an idea. Assuming one or serveral passengers had mobile phones - its unlikely they were turned off for a short hop. Why not try and see if any of these are hitting local towers and possibly be triagulated?

Good idea and AMSA are all over that.

• Like 1

Has it been stated by authorities that it was in fact an EPIRB received momentarily. Why no fix on this beacon by the Satelite? I am thinking that ATC MAY have received a transponder squawk 7700 (ICAO emergency code) as it was about this time that the pilot was trying to establish comms with BNE Centre and was lost on a frequency change.Cheers

Channel 7 news showed an interview with someone from the rescue operation. They said it was a personal type EPIRB that they received a short signal from.

does anyone have the search and rescue radio frequencies they use?....I have been scanning the bands but can't find anything. heard the choppers using Kenilworth show grounds as a staging and refueling base on the local Ctaf 126.700 but thats all

Next to no mobile phone reception over much of the search area. We have a farm based right under the search area south west of Gympie near the Muster site. Mostly native and hoop pine plantation country with cleared valleys in places. We don't live there presently however many of our neighbours have been out searching forestry tracks by vehicle and horseback.

Willborne.

• Like 1

Next to no mobile phone reception over much of the search area. We have a farm based right under the search area south west of Gympie near the Muster site. Mostly native and hoop pine plantation country with cleared valleys in places. We don't live there presently however many of our neighbours have been out searching forestry tracks by vehicle and horseback.Willborne.

Bugger. In saying that - surely a mobile repeater could be flown over the search area and see if something pings it. I was trailbike riding at Kia Ora the weekend before last - Telstra coverage was good to the north east of Gympie.

Guest Maj Millard

The Dragon Rapide just fitted in so well at Monto, cruising around overhead, giving rides all day. Just a massive loss for our sport, which those folks were more than happy to support with their attendance, and for the aviation scene in Australia generally. Our thoughts and hopes are still there for our six aviation enthusist friends.......................

I may be wrong but the Dragon was used by the RFDS until quite recently, 1970s?

You may be thinking of the tri-gypsy engined Drover... Surely the Rapide was not in commercial service in the 70's?