Ultralight puts down in Banks Strait, Tasmania

Bit more to the story above

Regards

RW

The pilot of an ultra-light aeroplane that ditched in Bass Strait off Tasmania's north-east coast two years ago has been charged with reckless flying.

Shayd Hector of Tingira Heights in New South Wales is charged with the reckless operation of an aircraft, flying an aircraft without a licence, and consuming alcohol within eight hours of flying an aircraft.

The Commonwealth prosecutor alleges the offences took place at or near Bridport on October 28, 2013, endangering the life of Hector's passenger, Joel Nelson.

The pair were rescued from the sea near Waterhouse Island that afternoon after their ultra-light plane crashed into the sea.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more to the story aboveRegards

RW

The pilot of an ultra-light aeroplane that ditched in Bass Strait off Tasmania's north-east coast two years ago has been charged with reckless flying.

Shayd Hector of Tingira Heights in New South Wales is charged with the reckless operation of an aircraft, flying an aircraft without a licence, and consuming alcohol within eight hours of flying an aircraft.

The Commonwealth prosecutor alleges the offences took place at or near Bridport on October 28, 2013, endangering the life of Hector's passenger, Joel Nelson.

The pair were rescued from the sea near Waterhouse Island that afternoon after their ultra-light plane crashed into the sea.

If the ditching occurred in Banks Strait, and near Waterhouse Island, by my reckoning they were only a couple of miles from land and possibly much less. I wonder if the Regulator got mixed up between the two?

Kaz

... and consuming alcohol within eight hours of flying an aircraft ...

I wonder if they could quantify this? One drink? Five drinks? Surely the Cth Prosecutor will have to furnish compelling evidence?

Some one has to present the evidence. A witness? There is no breath test. On past performance (Of the authority) I wonder. I believe the RAAus has already dealt with and applied a punishment for this matter. Double jeopardy. Tried twice for the same misdemeanour? I would like to know more on this one. Nev

Some one has to present the evidence. A witness? There is no breath test. On past performance (Of the authority) I wonder. I believe the RAAus has already dealt with and applied a punishment for this matter. Double jeopardy. Tried twice for the same misdemeanour? I would like to know more on this one. Nev

no breath test? how do you know? maybe the cops did one, they're good at that.

no breath test? how do you know? maybe the cops did one, they're good at that.

State police have no authority to breath test anyone for an aviation offence. It is not necessary to prove intoxication, CASA only has to prove consumption in the eight hours prior to flight. As an example, you paid for alcohol on a credit card and were seen to drink it by hotel staff or perhaps airline staff on a flight.

• Agree 2

Actually could we technically fly intoxicated legally? What I mean is, is the 8 hour limit the only limit for pilots? We all know if someone has a lot of drinks one night they will still be over the legal limit after 8 hours.

IMO a legal blood alcohol level would be easier to prove/disprove than the eight hour limit.

• Agree 2

Actually could we technically fly intoxicated legally? What I mean is, is the 8 hour limit the only limit for pilots? We all know if someone has a lot of drinks one night they will still be over the legal limit after 8 hours.IMO a legal blood alcohol level would be easier to prove/disprove than the eight hour limit.

The rule is no alcohol within eight hours of departure and no alcohol in the system. The first one might sometimes be easier to prove.

A positive test for alcohol in the DAMP regs is greater than 0.02%. A person must not continue to perform a Safety Sensitive Aviation Activity if they produce a positive test result.

There has been considerable discussion about the legislative provisions relating to consumption of alcohol on another list.

My view is that a pilot, having consumed alcoholic liquor, cannot exercise the privileges of the licence at any time in the 8 hour interval before departure or if impaired by alcohol.

Kaz

• Agree 4

Waterhouse Island is about 3k from the coast... so unless they had proceeded well into Bass Strait (not Banks Strait!), they shouldn't have been more than 1.5k from land at any stage. Surely, if they'd been at more than 3,000 feet or so, they could have glided to land. I don't know what a Thruster glide ratio is, but it would have to be - I'd imagine - better than 5:1.

And - from the original story - a $30k Thruster? Perhaps it didn't perform to spec. because of all the damn solid gold it must have contained?

Why would be done by CASA be double jeopardy?I don't see the relevance, as RAAus can not send you to court or fine/goal you?

It clearly wouldn't. We all need to understand that CASA can prosecute an RAA pilot if they breach the rules. RAA pilots are not exempt from The Law.

• Agree 1

Though, this one seems to have left his intelligence back at Bridport. There are so many things that seem wrong to have been done in this story. Recreational Aviation just does NOT need Fwits; for all of those who strive conscientiously to fly safely, one nong that breaches just about every safety instruction and ends up as a cause celebre in the media, is just what we DON'T NEED.

One early poster on this thread applauded them for their 'cahoolies' in attempting a Bass Strait crossing in a Thruster. Perhaps, if he were still with us, this new information would have changed his opinion.

....... so unless they had proceeded well into Bass Strait (not Banks Strait!), ......

Not meaning to be a smart-ass Oscar, but out of fairness to the OP, that area is Banks Strait, not Bass Strait, named for Joseph Banks the Botanist, as I understand it. I think Bass Strait is the part north of Flinders Island and Banks Strait is south of Clarke Island.

1749809382_BanksStrait_3.jpg.45b74ef5676c14156f323a2d2f584160.jpg

1278234971_BanksStrait.jpg.67da878f84cbb9ff2bc172d508f85fd9.jpg

1565378212_BanksStrait_2.jpg.d88af3ceff1561f88884468d1f979af7.jpg

• Agree 1

I understood they had already been dealt with by the RAAus for the same issues. That's why my reference to double jeopardy. Perhaps in the future we will see RAAus dealing out really harsh punishments, hoping to appease CASA as some Airlines did punishing pilots harder than CASA would have, with alleged misdemeanours etc. I don't have any reliable information about this matter and I wonder if anyone else does either other than Newspaper reports and I haven't had many here saying anything complimentary about the accuracy of most of those. I hope this person has had some representation to act on his behalf in a Court from a sense of fairness. Everyone deserves no less. Nev

• Caution 1

Not meaning to be a smart-ass Oscar, but out of fairness to the OP, that area is Banks Strait, not Bass Strait, named for Joseph Banks the Botanist, as I understand it. I think Bass Strait is the part north of Flinders Island and Banks Strait is south of Clarke Island.

Yep, that's what I meant to say - if they were still in Banks Strait then they shouldn't have been all that far from Waterhouse Island and with sensible height in hand, ought to have been able to glide either to Waterhouse or the Tasmanian Coast.

• Like 1

I would have thought the same, but Oscar should know that. It was going to be a Bass Strait crossing wasn't it.? I know Eugene has done it many times in a similar craft. It's not something I personally would do but that's not the issue. Nev

• Agree 1

It is done reasonably regularly I believe by Drifters usually as a group. They put floatation in the wings. I would do it with the right gear and preparation in a group, BUT ... no way in hell Shirley would let me do it LOL.

These guys survived their dunking and are I believe the only ones to do that in the BASS straight area since the war. It would be practically impossible to do a ditching and not invert, a Thruster or Drifter because of the drag of the wheels and the high position of both motors..Nev

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1