Does anyone have more information on this NSW South Coast accident?

Guest Lloydster

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two local men, both in their 60s, had set out at 11.30am on an Australian-made light plane to conduct an annual flying assessment of one of the men’s skills.

“The plane came down within the hour. We’re not sure yet, but it looks like something might have come loose off the plane and they lost control and went into the water," Sheldon Jones, chief pilot at the Moruya Aeroclub, said.

The man being assessed was a retiree and former retailer from Mossy Point and the other man was a active flying instructor from Moruya, who had many years of experience and flew a few times a week, according to Mr Jones.

“One of the men was extremely experienced and the other man was very experienced,” Mr Jones said.

One of the men has been confirmed to be deceased while the search continues for the other man. Mr Jones said the men's deaths would be a “big loss to the aviation community”.

Police and surf lifesavers are on the scene and divers are on their way. There is only a limited window to find the missing aircraft before it sinks in deep water.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/one-dead-one-missing-in-light-plane-crash-on-south-coast-20140706-zsxyo.html#ixzz36fBfdt4x

Guest Maj Millard

Officially notified ...one deceased and one missing...both experienced aviators..cause of crash unknown at this point . Condolences to all involved.....Maj....

I awoke this morning and for a few fleeting seconds, convinced myself it was all a bad dream. And then, im confronted with this :

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/flying-instructor-graham-white-is-believed-to-be-one-of-the-men-killed-in-plane-crash-off-nsws-south-coast/story-fni0cx12-1226979790275?nk=db03f7b15cfb164d85652542a5f828cb

We all know the media are pretty stupid with a lot of things, but they cant even get a bloody picture right. Yes one man is Graham, but the other is the current CFI of the aero club at Moruya, and was NOT involved with this accident.

The fact of the prang are very thin, witnesses say they saw what looked like something coming off the the aeroplane and then it spiralled into the sea.But, as usual, that doesnt mean much at this stage.

The aircraft was a Morgan sierra.

We are all totally devastated by this tragic accident. Graham was one of the last "old school" gentleman Instructors. He tested me for my CPL, did my float training and was going to Chief a new float charter AOC out of Moruya and we were all looking forward to getting involved with that.

He was a passionate aviator with out ego or malice, and every time I flew with him , I was a better pilot for it.

He will be sorely missed and the hole he will leave in our hearts and in aviation will be simply unfillable.

Spare a thought for his family please, and also for young Cameron (Ignition) who was there with them when they took off. Cam was trained by Graham and was very very close to him. He will be suffering today.

Horrible horrible 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

• Agree 14
  • Winner 1

Absolutely devastating. Sounds like we've lost a true gentleman of aviation.

Also sounds pretty certain that something truly catastrophic must have occurred to catch out a man such as GW...

My thoughts go out to family and friends and the Moruya aviators.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Graham took me through all phases of my flight training, from my RAA pilot certificate through to PPL, tailwheel, CSU and some aeros. I spent many weekends staying at the club and chatting with Graham for hours on end.

He will be sorely missed by the aviation community. My sincere condolences to his family. My thoughts also go out to everyone at Moruya Aero Club, the Moruya community who knew him, and all those who had the privilege of flying with or being trained/mentored by Graham.

• Agree 3

Terrible news. Graham White has had a huge influence on me from that first TIF through to my certificate and endorsements as well as BFRs, a pilot and instructor of great skill with a wonderful dry sense on humor. He will be sadly missed

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

My thought are with you people and the others who knew them, and of course their families and loved ones. A terrible loss . Having posts like have been placed here is a obvious tribute to people deserving of such appreciation. We never expect these things to happen, although the possibility is always there with our sport, it comes as a shock and a big emptiness, that lasts for ever. Stick together people and , "somehow" BE THERE.. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

If anyone wishes to share their memories of Graham, or to pass on any messages to his family, I have started a separate thread here:

Vale Graham White

Jex

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I awoke this morning and for a few fleeting seconds, convinced myself it was all a bad dream. And then, im confronted with this :http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/flying-instructor-graham-white-is-believed-to-be-one-of-the-men-killed-in-plane-crash-off-nsws-south-coast/story-fni0cx12-1226979790275?nk=db03f7b15cfb164d85652542a5f828cb

We all know the media are pretty stupid with a lot of things, but they cant even get a bloody picture right. Yes one man is Graham, but the other is the current CFI of the aero club at Moruya, and was NOT involved with this accident.

The fact of the prang are very thin, witnesses say they saw what looked like something coming off the the aeroplane and then it spiralled into the sea.But, as usual, that doesnt mean much at this stage.

The aircraft was a Morgan sierra.

We are all totally devastated by this tragic accident. Graham was one of the last "old school" gentleman Instructors. He tested me for my CPL, did my float training and was going to Chief a new float charter AOC out of Moruya and we were all looking forward to getting involved with that.

He was a passionate aviator with out ego or malice, and every time I flew with him , I was a better pilot for it.

He will be sorely missed and the hole he will leave in our hearts and in aviation will be simply unfillable.

Spare a thought for his family please, and also for young Cameron (Ignition) who was there with them when they took off. Cam was trained by Graham and was very very close to him. He will be suffering today.

Horrible horrible 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

Devastating news. My sincere condolences to the family and friends of Graham. I believe the search for the other man continues today. Spare a thought for his family too. While he has not yet been found it is unlikely that he has survived.

The Murdoch press though, continue with complete sensationalist rubbish. They publish a photo of someone who had nothing to do with the accident, a photo of a Cougar & call it a Sierra, call RAA-Aus the RCA & even quote the Ferris Wheel incident & publish the story with headlines that it may have been a bird strike. The only thing important to them is money.

• Agree 1

This probably came from a Regional reporter. The CFI photo relates to the CFI, was referred to as such, and relates to the copy where he is mentioned.

In the time to deadline he may have been given a photo of a Morgan by one of us. How many people treading this could produce a high definition digital photo of a Grumman A115 if one went down in your area?

I think the RAA President is credited with the bird strike comment, and I don't think that was unreasonable; it would certainly be a preferable outcome for a pilot held in such high esteem.

It is normal custom to provide linkages in stories to other incidents when there is very little information, you can't just have a story with four or five words in a newspaper for production reasons. It's not a custom I like at all, but guess who was responsible for turning the Ferris Wheel into file footage.

It has been a devastating event, but tomorrow's newspaper will follow the same procedure reporting tomorrow's news, so there's no point in lashing out.

Better for us to try to learn something from the accident, but in this case we'll have to hope for recovery of the aircraft.

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Ive personally seen what a raptor with rabbit in talons can do to the front of an F111 (radome destroyed and peeled back like a banana skin over the front of the aircraft). I accept it was likely going significantly faster than an RAAus aircraft but I still think a pelican, for example might completely screw up your day.......

check this out

Not sure if this one was the exact instance I was thinking of, but 138 was a 6sqn bird in the time I was there so could well be.

Yea good one turbo. When I posted the link the article was much different, and the photo of Sheldon was indeed labelled with Graham's name.

It was only up for an hour or so before people called and had them change it.

I'm glad your happy with the way things get reported, but if you were confronted with pics of one of your friends who is well and truly alive in a story about another dear friend who is we'll and truly not, I'm sure you wouldn't feel the need to defend our fantastic media so readily.

Rubbish reporting Is the last thing we need in times like this mate.

But thanx for your valuable input .

• Agree 4

Guest russ.mullins

Its times such as this I regret taking up flying for my hobby. Two people i have never met have lost their lives and by the sounds of it through no fault of their own and from a cause they could never have recovered the aircraft from regardless of their impeccable flying experience. I served as a nsw ambo for 17 years and I have seen the effect these tragedies have on friends and family so to those who knew these guys I think I speak for all of us when I say that I cant imagine your sadness at this time. I'm also wishing I had taken up another hobby because as a member of RAA I will have to watch the media and probably CASA and who knows what other organisation discredit RAA flyers. Im also the owner of a morgan aircraft so this tragedy is close to home. My copy of sportspilot arrived today and I'm almost afraid to open it because although I love to read the awesome stories of people's flying experiences, I also feel like a naughty school kid when I read about how I mustn't be maintaining my aircraft properly or my organisation is losing money and how casa hates me. Yep, I'm definitely in a bad place today, this accident is just so sad.

I agree Russ, I went through this and almost sold my aircraft until I realised its all about me flying and the enjoyment I get from it, not what others are doing either correctly or incorrectly. I fly because I enjoy it. I am a member of RAA Aus because I have to be to fly the aircraft I enjoy. The politics ands naysayers do not affect how I fly, my enjoyment when the wheels leave the ground or how I perform as a pilot. Blow the rest of them, get back to the basics of why you started flying in the first place and to heck with the rest of them. If you are happy with what you do, then beggar the rest, they are all grandstanding for their own agendas. I am the one that climbs into the aircraft, I passed my pilots certificate, not them, I fly my plane, not them. Just fly and enjoy and leave the politics to those that have nothing better to do.

• Agree 6
  • Winner 4

I have to point out that I am NOT referring to the aspects that robinsm speaks of. He is entitled to post his views, but I'm on a different tack, that I'm not going to elaborate on, here now. Nev

• Winner 1

This is the worst sort of accident... If someone flies an aircraft into a mountain we can all say, rightly or wrongly, that I can avoid that due to my personal conduct...BUT...When something structural fails (as may be the case in this accident) we can't reassure ourselves (rightly or wrongly) that it won't happen to us.