ASIC

About to renew my ASIC for the third time , unsure whether to throw away another $200 as I have never been asked for it even though I have flown into quite a few RPT airfields such as Port Macquarie, Dubbo, Devonport, Mildura, Broken Hill etc, Just wondering if any members have similar stories and which airports are doing the checks. What's the worst thing that can happen if you don't have one?

Greg

• Helpful 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think from memory it was quiet a large fine but I agree it's a waste of money.

The trouble is if you don't have one and they do throw the book at you 200 dollars would seem quiet an easy way out.

So do you know of anyone that's been fined? I am happy to play by the rules and it would not be so bad if I was checked occasionally but I never have and it really seems like a waste of money and effort, although, trust my luck, I feel I will be the one they make an example of next time I try to pass through the airside gate

There have been quite a few fines (between $500 and $5,000 depending where) around the place where an aerodrome is on the security list and people have not had an ASIC/AVID. ( I know of a couple personally but won't elaborate here, except to say they had ASICs but weren't displaying them correctly = $500.00 each )

Personally, I think ASICs are a waste of time, but until they're made redundant, I'll spend 15min refilling out the forms, then getting my photo taken and printed (I usually catch up with a couple of mates down town while I'm waiting) then down the courthouse and get the doc's certified yet again then posted off... remembering that I also filled out and sent same over the internet prior.. whole episode for me takes about 40mins and that includes driving up town and back and of course the couple of hundred dollars..

I think from memory it was quiet a large fine but I agree it's a waste of money.The trouble is if you don't have one and they do throw the book at you 200 dollars would seem quiet an easy way out.

Are you saying they are not aloud to give you a large fine?

• Haha 2

I went to the courthouse in gladstone Qld about 6 years ago to renew mine. The officious clerk there wanted to see all the paperwork including the form which tells you nwhat to do. I then found a free J.P. who did the whole thing in about 5 minutes. Keep away from government employees.

• Agree 2

Never been asked for it once...its s joke really ...our pilot certificate should be enough to get us airside where we need to be and anything else is simply overkill

And what security or background checks were done when you were issued with your Pilot Certificate? Does your Pilot Certificate contain your photo, or how will we know that it's indeed your pilot certificate and not one that has been stolen and being used by someone else. These will all become additional requirements should the ASIC be removed on gaining a PPL or RPC

And what security or background checks were done when you were issued with your Pilot Certificate? Does your Pilot Certificate contain your photo, or how will we know that it's indeed your pilot certificate and not one that has been stolen and being used by someone else. These will all become additional requirements should the ASIC be removed on gaining a PPL or RPC

PErhaps your Pilot card and your photo id eg drivers licence

• Agree 2

Hmmmm so if I have not been asked for my drivers license in more than 30 years would it be a good idea to ditch it also ?

Ok so that is a bit tongue in cheek but at least it will give this forum a lot to comment on.

• Haha 1

I have a good grasp of the English language and I did not mention pilot certificate being ditched the discussion is open and is about enforcement of the ASIC and if one should run the risk of being caught without one my point is I have to have a drivers license to drive a car and also have no choice if I want it or not.

Read it a couple of times and you may just get my point.

Cheers

I have a good grasp of the English language and I did not mention pilot certificate being ditched the discussion is open and is about enforcement of the ASIC and if one should run the risk of being caught without one my point is I have to have a drivers license to drive a car and also have no choice if I want it or not.Read it a couple of times and you may just get my point.

Cheers

As I said read it a few times it may help you understand for the record this decision is about compliance whether You like it it not

To overstate the obvious I have not mentioned a pilot certificate and nor does the original post which discusses ASIC card

I recently landed at Ayers Rock/Connellan. It took less than 2 minutes from shutdown for the security car to arrive and its contents to ask for my ASIC. The security officer was, however, very friendly and obliging. That only made it the second time in 6 years that I had been asked for the red card.