AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Missing

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years now, my phone has sent breadcrumbs to my wife when I'm riding or flying. Free, reliable location every 2 minutes.Too hard for a multimillion $ airline to organise?

Which service do you use for the breadcrumbs?

Old saying and, of course fact, but I like to be in control of my car or bike and my own destiny and have managed to do pretty well so far. I hate the feeling in an airliner where you merely walk on freight and it's all out of your control, worse for those 20 minutes when you sit there like a dummy coming in to land.

Well Bex,

You may think you have control of your own destiny in your car or on your bike, but you just don't have control over that idiot coming the other way texting on his/her phone ect

• Agree 5

Regarding that old chestnut that flying is safer than driving - you can't look at it by number of casualties alone. You have to look at the number of hours spent in a plane versus the number of hours in a car, and work the casualties out over that. It is about the probability based on the usage of the airplane versus the usage of the car.

For the amount of time people spend in a plane, the figure would be a lot higher.

For our little aircraft I suspect it is a lot safer to drive. But I don't have figures, someone could work it out though.

As Carrol Smith once said "The price for man's quest for speed is the occasional sudden stop".

At the fate of someone else's control and probably far away from my home isn't the way I would like it to end.

Poor buggers, probably on their way home from or for Xmas.

• Agree 2

The recording equipment on the aircraft already have search signals emitted that go for about a month. The issue seems to be the non allowance of a diversionary track. The system has to permit this. There are plenty of storms so severe you DON'T fly through them. Nev

As far as I can tell, it crashed early in the morning..........that first day basically nothing happened search wise......

The next day they decided they were going to organise a search.....

Late on the third day wreckage was found...

The posibilty exists that injured people were in the water and have drowned .............

• Agree 1

I carry a GPS Epirb in my plane, very accurate. Just might take it on commercial flights with me so the plane can be found if it goes down..play_ball.gif.9e7a1737cf48411f62e335c8c96e44ff.gif

Do other nations have the ability to pickup a 401 beacon or the structure to react to one?

There are plenty of storms so severe you DON'T fly through them

The Inter-Tropic Convergence Zone has truly huge storms. They can be just as bad in the morning as late in the day because they move offshore early am, so it's difficult to divert around them. The radar plots for the day of this accident show some very large cells over the Java Sea. Tops can exceed 60,000 ft in this region, so climbing is less an alternative than diverting around the cells. On 'Black Sunday' in 1943, the US 5th Air Force lost 38 aircraft in PNG as they had to fly through part of the ITCZ. A British RAF squadron lost 8/16 Spitfires flying through the same wx in Burma in around 1945. The ICTZ is a truly frightening monster and pilots earn their keep at this time of year in our North. happy days,

• Informative 3
  • Winner 1

Report at 8.30pm 10 bodies seen in water and shadow of aircraft seen submerged.

This morning reports say 7 confirmed deceased and no idea where the wreckage is .... How times and information changes over a short period !!

• Informative 1

You can't fly over them. Also the higher you go the less safety margin you have with proximity to stall and the likelihood of an "Upset" that takes up to tens of thousands of feet to recover from IF you are capable of doing it. Many Airline qualified pilots have never spun a plane intentionally. In severe turbulence and the noise of deafening hail and warnings going off everywhere and no visible horizon it's not a good day. There is a real chance of parts separating from the aircraft or massive structural overloads happening. . Nev

Do other nations have the ability to pickup a 401 beacon or the structure to react to one?

Yes. There are a number of centres worldwide monitoring the satellites 24/7 and relay any signal received to the appropriate Rescue Co-ordination Centre (RCC) which also operate 24/7.

The beacon frequecy is 406 Mhz (not 401).

The NZ Search and Rescue website has a good simple explaination of the system.

There is also some good info on Wikipedia

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

The Inter-Tropic Convergence Zone has truly huge storms. They can be just as bad in the morning as late in the day because they move offshore early am, so it's difficult to divert around them. The radar plots for the day of this accident show some very large cells over the Java Sea.

That's interesting poteroo, I was in a commercial flight not far from this area at the exact same time this aircraft disappeared. Although I didn't hear about it till much later I was wondering why our flight had made a diversion over eastern Indonesia then later resumed the original track.

The experts seem to have already come to the conclusion that it is pilot error. I wonder where the ABC gets its experts. I wouldn't trust them to fly a Drifter. The continual knocking of pilots seems to me to be counter intuitive coming from anyone involved in air travel. If they knock them enough nobody will trust them and then nobody will travel by air.

The experts seem to have already come to the conclusion that it is pilot error. I wonder where the ABC gets its experts. I wouldn't trust them to fly a Drifter. The continual knocking of pilots seems to me to be counter intuitive coming from anyone involved in air travel. If they knock them enough nobody will trust them and then nobody will travel by air.

I dunno, it will take a long time to swim anywhere.

It takes the pressure off the airline and perhaps reduces the compensation payouts........

• Agree 1

Don't know what they are basing this on but if they have been watching "Air Crash Investigations" the most common error seems to be pilot error, so maybe they are just playing the odds.

• Agree 1

If it is pilot error and he is employed by the airline then isn't the airline responsible? Just asking.Alan.

I would say not or to a lessor degree if he has proven to have deviated from company policy, especially if he has knowingly disregarded policy/procedures.

In my experience large company's formulate policy and procedures to the extent that if an employee so much as farts out of tune, the company ponts the finger and considers itself "in the clear".

I sift through all the reports i can find then check the time stamps for the most current ones, also i find that the English news seems to be most up to date. We tend to source from US sources and they are two days late.