Admin

What do you think of the site update  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the site update

• I like it
    • Doesn't worry me
    • I don't like it

As posted in 2 other places in the forums, and now 3:

The "What's New" and "What's New (24hrs)" have now been combined and accessible by clicking/tapping the "New" link.

The "What's New (24hrs)" was limited to only 24hrs but showed both what you have and haven't read

The "What's New" was limited to 200 posts and only what you haven't read.

So I have removed those limitations and combined them into one link.

The "New" link shows ALL the posts you have READ and NOT READ up to a limit of 200 instead of just 24hrs. The best of both worlds in one single link "New" accessible in the sticky menu from no matter where you are on the site

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As posted in 2 other places in the forums, and now 3:The "What's New" and "What's New (24hrs)" have now been combined and accessible by clicking/tapping the "New" link.

The "What's New (24hrs)" was limited to only 24hrs but showed both what you have and haven't read

The "What's New" was limited to 200 posts and only what you haven't read.

So I have removed those limitations and combined them into one link.

The "New" link shows ALL the posts you have READ and NOT READ up to a limit of 200 instead of just 24hrs. The best of both worlds in one single link "New" accessible in the sticky menu from no matter where you are on the site

OK, thank you, that makes sense

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Sorry to be a pain but I find this new program quite difficult to follow and I certainly don't have time to scroll through 200 posts. I used the What's new 24 hours button all the time and usually at least twice a day.

All I can find now is NEW and a huge number of topics underneath it I can't find a 24 or anything like it.

Cheers

Kaz

• Agree 1

Hi IanSorry to be a pain but I find this new program quite difficult to follow and I certainly don't have time to scroll through 200 posts. I used the What's new 24 hours button all the time and usually at least twice a day.

All I can find now is NEW and a huge number of topics underneath it I can't find a 24 or anything like it.

Cheers

Kaz

The new posts that you haven't read are in bold. It is different, but i can see what Ian is trying to acheive.

I don't understand why the NEW contains posts that one has already read? I know it is what you posted and works accordingly, but I don't understand your reasoning.

I think it is because new and 24 hours new is now mixed together. The posts you haven't read are in bold. Ian mentioned that a few things are in the works and the new system is designed around that.

I like old posts I've already read listed "unbold" in the "new" search. Makes them easy to find.

Quite often if going to posts from the "new" section, I don't look at which subforum they are on so have trouble re-finding them.

If you can't clearly see the bold on unread posts, they are also marked with a dot before the title, as highlighted below. Posts without the dot have been read.

upload_2015-3-2_23-37-13.png.b2787dc9c4986881282024c8b1900133.png

• Informative 1

Hi IanSorry to be a pain but I find this new program quite difficult to follow and I certainly don't have time to scroll through 200 posts. I used the What's new 24 hours button all the time and usually at least twice a day.

Cheers

Kaz

Try hitting the NEW button again ( ie twice ) Kaz , you should then get the latest posts there ..... Bob

There are a number of threads about the new menu system, and folks are reading some and not others. So to repeat what I said on another thread, if you can't see the bold print on New posts, look for the dot in front of the thread title. Posts without a dot have been read. It is easy then to zip down the list and read any thread with a dot.

upload_2015-3-3_6-43-19.png.a31214e752c00e99955fde3603d17b1c.png

Peter

To get the maximum possible unread posts available for you to know about i.e. 200, I am actually using the What's New 24hrs code but instead making it 21 days. This was the quickest and easiest way to diffuse the confusion of it all. The biggest reason for doing this was so many users who used the 24hr link were missing out on so much and not realising it. The What's New did cater for this but some users wanted to see what they had already read as well so they could come back to them later.

Personally I think the 24hr option was of no value. I always used the What's New to keep me informed as it also allowed me to read new posts that I didn't have time to read the last time I logged in and it told me those with a specific heading plus I didn't miss out on all the unread posts without having to go through a list of ones that I had already read. Once I read something and if I wanted to respond I did so then and there. I also had the option of simply looking at the Forums home page and if I wanted to see what I had already read about something, I simply used the very powerful plain english search function. But as I said, that is my personal view.

I personally thought it was funny that people wanted to read new posts but by using the 24 option, they unknowingly were actually missing out on this. In hindsight I should never have created the 24 option in the first place all those years ago and we wouldn't be having this problem, but hey, what is done is done and sometimes it may be a case of being cruel to be kind. What I mean by that is if you look at the new menu system from an holistic view, you will see how much better it is in terms of quickly accessing anything you want, but I think we just got to get over the "change" of it first.

Oh, and remember I also have to get use to the changes, like I hate the way the New is done now, I can't tell which is new from the last time I checked because that was a function of the "What's New" but wasn't in the 24hr option

Sorry guys, I have changed it back to give everyone a free choice on what they want to use:

1. Clicking "New" will take you to "What's New", showing all unread posts up to a maximum of 200

2. Clicking "New (21days)" will take you to the old "What's New (24hrs)" but now that has been extended to 21 days instead of 24hrs

Clicking "New" in the sticky menu column or the sticky menu row on a mobile phone will take you to "What's New

Clicking "New (21days)" in the menu column or in the slide out menu on a mobile phone, will take you to the old 24hrs but now 21 days and only if you are in the Forums section like you had to be before.

Now EVERYONE should be happy!

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I have changed it back to give everyone a free choice on what they want to use:

1. Clicking "New" will take you to "What's New", showing all unread posts up to a maximum of 200

2. Clicking "New (21days)" will take you to the old "What's New (24hrs)" but now that has been extended to 21 days instead of 24hrs

Clicking "New" in the sticky menu column or the sticky menu row on a mobile phone will take you to "What's New

Clicking "New (21days)" in the menu column or in the slide out menu on a mobile phone, will take you to the old 24hrs but now 21 days and only if you are in the Forums section like you had to be before.

• Like 1

• Caution 1

Ian. You should know by now you will never keep everyone happy. You should plan on keeping yourself happy and make the site what you want and eventually we will get used to it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

This site has so much and is so powerful to do anything you want but you just got to look or ask, in a nice way, and there probably is already a solution for it. For example do you really want to know everything that is happening in the forums, simple, just use the Recent Activity link:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/recent-activity/

OR

If you just want to know what your OWN activity has been, just use your own News Feed, accessible from you account drop down (i.e. your avatar in the menu:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/account/news-feed

There is so much here to already what someone needs

Ian,

Just logged in on my laptop and I find that the left hand side is clipped - about half way across the poster's avatars. Seems good on my iPhone 4 though.

Just noticed it is covered by the left hand side menu bar. Can I move it to across the top?

regards,

Peter T

Ian, you should well know....

You can please some of the people some of the time, etc......

Please don't take anybody's comments too personally. We love the site, or we wouldn't be here to comment. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1