Flying into Bankstown

Have you or do you regularly fly into Bankstown with RAA pilot certificate? If so what are the considerations? Asic, class G outside tower hours, landing and parking fees...what else? Or don't bother?

Coming out of ADST I know it's no longer an option for a while (is tower operational in the weekends?).

I have family North of Sydney and the alternative would be somewhere like Warnervale but flying from Vic, means there's a lot of tiger country or control zones to navigate.

Ak

• Like 1

You really need a PPL at least. Tower is alive and well on the weekends, and it gets quite busy. Outside hours would be too dark to try to practically plan with just RAA. Warnervale isn't that much further north really, and there is a lane of entry you can take that avoids all the control stuff nicely.

• Like 1

dont forget to fly into YSBK with RAAus aircraft, you need it to be factory built, or have an approved engine for flight over built up areas. with a PPL its no problem, but with just a RRAus certificate, im not so sure anymore.

I wouldnt go to warnervale, the costs there are almost 10 times that of Bankstown, Bankstown landing fees are $10, and that covers you all day (well they were when i last flew out of Bankstown quite a few months ago now) . and parking on grass is $15 a day. (was, not sure if its changed)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

well, i mean there's this too:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/ersa/FAC_YSBK_05-Mar-2015.pdf

with a phone number you can call. But, as i understand it, RAA only, probably not. A point of much consternation for me, as I did my RAA training there and once certified could not fly out of or into it!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Warnervale is the go if Hornsby is your final destination..... distance might seem like a bit but its all fast freeway......well unless its peak hours , but if that were the case the other alternates discussed to the south of Sydney will be much worse....

2.5km walk to the train station which will take you straight to Hornsby, trains from Newcastle about every 20-30 minutes as I recall (check?)

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

google earth suggests its about 630m long...great length for trikes...depending on what UL your flying may be a bit short.... I'd guess a savannah wouldn't find issue with it though!

Check the fees at Warnervale. Looks like $25 to land and take off, $30 to park overnight, $100 to refuel (plus the cost of fuel). This may not be current but if they are still charging this then clearly they don't really want aircraft there.

From the council https://consultation.wyong.nsw.gov.au/d-and-r/notice-of-variation-to-revenue-policy-warnervale-a/supporting_documents/WARNERVAL_AIRPORT_PROPOSED_201314_FEES_AND_CHARGES.pdf

• Informative 1

Ouch..steep fees. Kinda rules out that option. Somersby seems like an option if it's available and I've taken the Tecnam p92 into 09/27 at Kyneton before (589m) - that's probably the shortest runway I've landed so far.

Ouch..steep fees. Kinda rules out that option. Somersby seems like an option if it's available and I've taken the Tecnam p92 into 09/27 at Kyneton before (589m) - that's probably the shortest runway I've landed so far.

589 Metres Akro ? ? ? ? L U X U R Y ! ! ! our longest one is less than that, BUT our Air in England is thicker than that Aussie stuff of yours I guess, so the thrust reversers work better. . . (dunno actually whether it's the Pilots, or the Air that has the greatest density . . . . . )

• Haha 1

If you did think of Camden you can only do it out of hours. 8am-6pm is out of bounds from memory (Class D). Easy to do during summer but winter it's too dark.

• Informative 1

Most airstrips I've landed on so far have been double that so 589m is tiny. Anyway I did a short field landing and stopped well short but didn't need to really - there was a strong headwind that day.

Re: Camden

Yea I noticed that it was class G outside twr hours too which was why I was going to ask but distance from Oaks is negligible so probably won't even need to consider it unless The Oaks is not available.

Check the fees at Warnervale. Looks like $25 to land and take off, $30 to park overnight, $100 to refuel (plus the cost of fuel). This may not be current but if they are still charging this then clearly they don't really want aircraft there.From the council https://consultation.wyong.nsw.gov.au/d-and-r/notice-of-variation-to-revenue-policy-warnervale-a/supporting_documents/WARNERVAL_AIRPORT_PROPOSED_201314_FEES_AND_CHARGES.pdf

They are. The council ratified those proposed charges this time last year. I drive past Somersby and Warnervale to fly out of Cessnock now. Somersby will hopefully be my home base when the RV's finished.

Re: wedderburn

Definitely an option, although according to google maps, Oaks to Hornsby is 1h24m whereas Wedderburn is 1h44. Warnervale was under an hour, so Somersby will be even better. Might try the Oaks first and maybe Somersby at some later point.

Thank you all for contributing!

Ak

Have to admit,. . . . to say that I am totally GGGobsmacked by the level of charges to private aviation that I've been reading in these posts is putting it mildly.

Can someone please lat me know what has happened since I departed Australia in late 1982, whereupon, travelling all over the country under the privileges accorded by a G.A. license, I paid NO landing fees anywhere, other than at major international airports,. . .and these were NOT exorbitant . . . I realise that this is a forum for "Leisure" aviation subjects, but LSA aircraft excluded from controlled airspace ? ? ? . . .is the training syllabus promulgated and recieved by recreational pilots deemed by the government to be so poor as to have them all totally thus excluded ? ? ? I DO know that the Aussie government seem to be collectively paranoid,. . .this was evident in the small brushes I had with them during my WONDERFUL few years living there. . . but, . . can anyone tell me how we've arrived at the evident level of restrictions ?

Are the holders of a General Aviation pilot certificate, flying a general aviation type . . .1940s technology aeroplane, more intelligent or far better trained individuals. . . ? ? Really ? sounds a bit odd to me. . .OK, Yes, I'm a long long way away from it all, and only glean bits of info here and there on forums like this one. . . .perhaps someone could answer my little queries, maybe with historical stepping stones / significant aviolegal developments thrown in. . . or shall I begin another thread to ask this question ? ? ? I realise that should I do this, I'm going to see a lot of links, which I shall have to read at length but this I don't mind.

Just thinking out loud ( bad grammar - please forgive me, should have said "aloud" )

Phil P.

You can probably see Phil why I love to get back to " The Green " and share the sky with the bigger boys , well Cessna and Pipers mainly , with the odd twin thrown in for good measure .... In Australia we have Pilot Certificates and Pilot Licences issued by two separate authorities giving different privileges , therin starts to lie the problem ...

Dave

Phil

LSA can use CTA (with fitted and maintained relevant instruments & transponder where required)

But a PPL or higher licence is currently required - - also now a RPL with a CTA endorsement)

The RAA pilot certificate is not sufficient currently. There are pages of opinions about this throughout the forum pages but at this stage, atleast, RAA lic only not permitted.

• Informative 1

Somersby is a bit of a peculiar strip, short and with a slope they prefer operations that are landing up hill and taking off down hill, I'm in Hornsby and I normally fly out of Cessnock due to the aircraft available, but if I was coming in I would go Warnervale and then the Oaks at a stretch.

• Informative 1

Check the fees at Warnervale. Looks like $25 to land and take off, $30 to park overnight, $100 to refuel (plus the cost of fuel). This may not be current but if they are still charging this then clearly they don't really want aircraft there.From the council https://consultation.wyong.nsw.gov.au/d-and-r/notice-of-variation-to-revenue-policy-warnervale-a/supporting_documents/WARNERVAL_AIRPORT_PROPOSED_201314_FEES_AND_CHARGES.pdf

Just read the list of exhorbitant fees:yikes:. And we all thought that Ned Kelly was dead.

Looks like the only thing they forgot, was the old fashioned coin slots to use the toilets.

I flew in there many years ago in a Warrier and don't remember there being any charges at that time.

• Agree 1

I was going to ask about Camden next, but never thought about the Oaks. Google suggests the drive to Hornsby is about 1hr 20m, which is viable.

Camden has similar issues to YSBK except the hours of of tower operation (Class D) are 8am to 6pm.

Daves has a quality cup of tea bag and instant coffee and the landing charges are most acceptable (about $5)

Somersby -YSMB - about 30 mins north of Hornsby and near the expressway might also be an option but you will have to navigate the lane of entry with some low flying < 2000' and pass close to a major bankstown reporting point at Prospect Resevoir (PSP).

The Sydney/Newcastle VTC and the Sydney Basin will give you a good heads-up See http://ontrack.casa.gov.au/index and have a play

• Like 1