RAAus Late Membership Fee

Stearman

From RAAus via e-mail today -

Reactivation and Joining Fees

From 1 March, membership renewals that have been overdue for more than 30 days will be subject to a reactivation fee of $22.

RAAus incurs costs when a member joins or reactivates their membership, so rather than putting fees up, we have introduced a fee to cover the membership record setup or reactivation for new or expired members. Staying on top of your membership renewal will help you avoid this fee, if in doubt about the expiry date of your membership, simply log in to your member portal to access your membership summary and renew your membership instantly.

Did you know that if you let your membership lapse for a month, you are no longer covered by our broad-based members third-party property policy? It's important that you ensure you stay current and by renewing your membership on time you won’t be exposed to any additional charges.

Its good old fashioned business.

The penalty is designed to influence your behaviour.

I don't believe the extra cost spiel - we don't charge new sign ups the fee do we?

Maybe instead of renewing you can ask for the FREE trial membership which undoubtedly requires all the same administration.

Rather typical behaviour from a business I'm afraid and not something I would like to see.

And do I read the other bit right? A women will get her years fee refunded to her in the form of lessons?!

Why not everyone who signs up in march?

What about the young men we want to attract?

Such nonsense.

I'm likely to let my membership lapse the more I read these letters from the CEO.

• Agree 6

I think it's behaviour modifying as well as a revenue source. In a sense it's voluntary, if you are an ongoing membership person... Your choice. If someone has been absent for a longer period say due lack of funds or sickness etc It would also apply I suppose. In that case it might be a deterrent, and you have no option but to pay it if that is your circumstances. In THAT situation the LOGIC doesn't work. Nev

if in doubt about the expiry date of your membership, simply log in to your member portal to

Hilarious, given the busted use case on their portal, if your membership lapses you cant login! So the extra effort required to renew costs the member $22. Perverse.

Still, I understand the driver....

I wont comment on the failure to issue PC card, even though the letter in the envelope said 'please find enclosed your card' then on follow up advised has been withheld because no evidence of BFR, which they didn't ask for when I was standing in their office paying!

Advised I was still covered to fly, but cant send a card without BFR evidence. Totally contradictory and pointless, either I am a valid member or not. They ahould not have accepted my fee payment if they required BFR evidence.

When I do submit BFR evidence I recieve service promise of 5day turnaround. 10 days later I have to ring them and noone has seen my email.

They did finally call me back and advised all ok. Dont know why I bothered. It certainly cost me a lot more than $22 to follow up their incompetence.

Ooops, too late, I commented...

Fly safe

Ramjet

I wonder if this fee is in response to growing trend of members are letting their memberships lapse?

I know low interest rates and now pension cuts are hitting a lot of retired folks budgets pretty hard.

This could be the new normal for the RAA though, if it is, it's cheaper to fix the portal to allow lapsed members renew online.

I wonder if this fee is in response to growing trend of members are letting their memberships lapse?I know low interest rates and now pension cuts are hitting a lot of retired folks budgets pretty hard.

This could be the new normal for the RAA though, if it is, it's cheaper to fix the portal to allow lapsed members renew online.

Im at a loss to understand a sensible motive for management to do this.

Members should voice their concern.

If anything it will have the effect of members likely 'not bothering with renewing'; arguably not in the best interests of either the member of RAAus.

• Caution 1

It sounds as if the management are out of touch with their membership. "It's the customer, stupid!" If organisations start taking customers for granted we end up with failed enterprises and no one wins. Look at the stupid decision on penalty rates. The Govt could step in and avert this calamity through regulation. They will probably stand up for industry (and it is large organisations such as McDonalds who will take the most away from this decision). this will lead to another change of government and the beat goes on.... Why can't we have an organisation with eyes on the aims of members?

I think it's because we are more like customers of the banks, than owners. Banks are there for the benefit of the shareholders and most of all the CEO,s and senior well paid staff. The organisation itself becomes a participating entity in the "GAME" and tries to grow to satisfy those who have control whose prospects will advance with growth As the RAAus has to administer and "CONTROL" the safety and other "required" regulation on behalf of the "AUTHORITY"( CASA.). THAT fact complicates the organisations function to support the members. A clear conflict of interest exists where the RAAus will administer a penalty that will keep the Authority happy. It might easily be a more severe penalty than the CASA might have applied had it been involved. You wouldn't necessarily know. This could happen as a need to curry favour with the regulator, and be seen to be "on the Job", and keep the regulator off the RAAus's back.. Do we have the creation of a potential monster? That HAS to be a possibility. Nev

• Agree 2

Not sure theres many places you dont pay a late payment fee anymore.

Remember theres a significant insurance policy tied up on membership

There would need to be tight reporting on who is covered and who not.

Id be surprised if your login stopped working once you lapse for a short time

If there is a cost involved reinstating membership, are members who pay on time happy to cover this?

Id prefer the peraon who was late paid it not me.

• Like 1

I think the banks lost a class action about excessive late payment fees. The judgement found that a late-payment fee needs to be in line with the real cost to the business, and not be an excuse to rob money from customers.

But I don't think that just anyone can add a late-payment fee. Big companies like Telstra routinely pay contractors months late and I sure would have been an advocate to adding late fees if possible.

Maybe any creditor can do this... does anybody know?

• Like 1

One month late might be a bit severe ..... how about ...... ? In any case its a bit like putting fuel in the tank ..... there no economy or excuse for running out of gas - dont stop passing the pennies

Well under the current new and improved constitution you are still a member for a period of 30 days after annual fee is due so provided the wording of the insurance policy is covering members with a pilot certificate you are covered to fly for those 30 days.

The basic crap of adding late renewal fee should drive the following perverse behaviour - demand a new membership. Avoid the fee and then ask for the records of pilot certificate to be transferred to the new membership.

Working the system lkke this will give you 13 months for the price of 12 and basically swamp the admin of the RAAus to the point that the Canberra non-member catering management can rethink their $22 penalty

Use the rules to cause civil disobedience in the membership because RAAus is no longer a member focused organisation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Oh and apparently they turn off your access to members portal the day after fee is due ... even though you are still a member for the next 30 days.

They appear to have not updated the member portal for the changes in the constitution from last year.

• Like 1

Well under the current new and improved constitution you are still a member for a period of 30 days after annual fee is due so provided the wording of the insurance policy is covering members with a pilot certificate you are covered to fly for those 30 days.The basic crap of adding late renewal fee should drive the following perverse behaviour - demand a new membership. Avoid the fee and then ask for the records of pilot certificate to be transferred to the new membership.

Working the system lkke this will give you 13 months for the price of 12 and basically swamp the admin of the RAAus to the point that the Canberra non-member catering management can rethink their $22 penalty

Use the rules to cause civil disobedience in the membership because RAAus is no longer a member focused organisation.

Or you could pay your bills on time and then enjoy a nice flight without the stress of wondering if the insurance is still covering you.

• Agree 5
  • Winner 1

Excellent suggestion, let make their job harder and cost even more

Next youll be complaining of admin costs and time it takes to get things done.

To create and administer an invoice costs around $15 in most large companies, id have thought sending reminders etc would add to this, let alone 30 days free insurance.

The issue of cancelling portal access seems not right and should be fixed

• Like 1

Or you could pay your bills on time and then enjoy a nice flight without the stress of wondering if the insurance is still covering you.

And if it were a true member association the member portal would be open for renewals for the thirteenth month to allow easy renewal of membership during your last 30 days of membership to avoid the need for any discussion of $22 re-establishment fee

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From 1 March, membership renewals that have been overdue for more than 30 days will be subject to a reactivation fee of $22.

As we're a MEMBER based ASSOCIATION this must have come from and been requested by the membership......or not.....lol.