Show us your instrument panels you saucy hussies!

That's great but the reason I went to RA-AUS was to just have fun flying. Unless I win lotto I'll probably never go back to GA.

I'm enjoying all the varied setups guys ?

While it's not how I would do it, a big round of applause to Old Koreelah- the look is so 'french' which of course is only fitting for a Jodel!

As people have said there's no right or wrong so long as your are legal. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this Avid flyer with a 2200 Jab. First thing I did was pull the old wood panel and make a wiring diagram. Got rid of the 5+ lb electric turn and bank—damn thing just made me queasy tipping back and forth like that.  Remade the panel to fit digital volt and ammeter, and the best—an ifly 740 GPS.  Can’t praise this unit enough, I’m a convert. Finding all sorts of grass strip fly-ins in the Pacific NW, the steam gauge panel’s ideal for this bird and it’s mission!

C242DBA5-2976-4248-8A46-DCB2BE922A85.thumb.jpeg.c4b7a00dac2fe1064663c8c13fd04be2.jpeg

171CF700-197D-438C-B6AC-A0602FA0594B.thumb.jpeg.585169dc1a17bef560dd6838a97afffd.jpeg

• Like 2

Any concerns about a power failure ??

No, Skyview has a back-up battery and I’m reasonably sure I can get down without it. Always have google maps, altitude might be a problem but not too much outside controlled airspace.

I'm not sure how much difference that would make in our kind of craft, Nev.

And I'm not sure whether the act of calibrating in situ for current Area QNH, say, or to a known ground elevation before take-off would obviate that problem.

Be that as it may, these kind of apps aim to exploit the precision barometric instrument that's built into most modern phones, and I guess, tablets.

This particular one from Radiant allows you to Bluetooth to a separate 'Sensor Tag' which provides temperature and humidity data (which'd have the same problem, depending on where you placed the tag.)

From their website:

"An external BlueTooth sensor is optional, and opens up more capabilities like true temperature / humidity based Density Altitude. (SensorTag from Texas Instruments -- $29.00 ( Part # CC2650STK)."

• Agree 1

Yes, it's pretty amazing when you think of it, that we still use what is, arguably, a 400 year old technology to perform that vital aviation task of separating aircraft vertically.

(And don't even airliners still have a little whiskey compass swinging around up there on the overhead panel somewhere?  Wow, that's lasted a thousand years!  LOL.

Here’s my Savannah S panel. The instruments I tend to focus on are the VSI (I find it great for fine tuning my hands off trim flight), and the AoA (Angle of Attack/lift reserve) The AoA gauge sits in my peripheral vision and is absolutely amazing. It takes into account the total aircraft weight in determining how close to the stall speed I am at. (There can be considerable difference in the stalling speed between that of a lightly loaded aircraft, and one that is flying at its MTOW) For a STOL type aircraft, it provides peace of mind when flying very slowly and also talks to me through my headset when close to the stall, all without needing to look at the ASI, therefore allowing me to keep my eyes focussed outside the cockpit on landing and takeoff. 

[ATTACH]42767[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]42768[/ATTACH]

What AOA are you using Perry?

• Like 1

A tangential thought :

They may be there but I don't see much evidence of CO monitors.

FYI - Delta/Kidde/Quell make a very cost effective monitor/alarm suitable for home/vehicles/caravans/boats. Display gives current & past max ppm. Alarm is visual & audible.

Should be mounted low in the cockpit as far away from fresh air influence as possible. I have mine in the passenger foot well, within my line of site.

Bunnings Aerospace used to be a stockist.

• Informative 1

...They may be there but I don't see much evidence of CO monitors...

Good point, Skip. In Post #3 mine is to the left of, but obscured by the weather display. A hand-sized CO2 monitor from Canada, mounted behind the panel, with holes so I can see the display.

To speed the warmup I keep the cowl flaps closed and enough monoxide leaks in to show a significant reading- in effect, a pre-takeoff check of the monitor.

After I open them that reading drops to zero.

Ouch US$1600 plus freight and taxes..thats expensive to get one here probably AU$2500 by the time it gets to me. I would imagine though it is up there with the best too

The AOA is a terrific resource. I have seen a few working and they really do make a difference especially if you do the Outback Stol country pilot flying...like on the video series. There is a guy making one here its not finished yet but close. The main thing is the dual input pressure sensor and the pitot tube. There are other aftermarket DIY ones around but all are a bit hows your father...The experimental avionics one seems pretty good. The Belite one seems to be very good except that funky arm hanging off the wing looks a bit funny. It would be nice for one around AU$1000 then I think more would be sold.

• Informative 1

...The AOA is a terrific resource. I have seen a few working and they really do make a difference especially if you do the Outback Stol country pilot flying...like on the video series. There is a guy making one here its not finished yet but close. The main thing is the dual input pressure sensor and the pitot tube...

I've come across some inexpensive electronic pressure sensors which lend themselves to use in an AOA instrument.

Is that what he is using?

I've come across some inexpensive electronic pressure sensors which lend themselves to use in an AOA instrument.

Is that what he is using?

Here is the link...He has done a stack of work on EFIS and engine monitor as well. Although most is open source and requires you do a lot of your own work on it. Oleg has my attention for a lot of stuff he has and also the code is Arduino and free

https://experimentalavionics.com/angle-of-attack-standalone-unit/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Here’s my Savannah S panel. The instruments I tend to focus on are the VSI (I find it great for fine tuning my hands off trim flight), and the AoA (Angle of Attack/lift reserve) The AoA gauge sits in my peripheral vision and is absolutely amazing. It takes into account the total aircraft weight in determining how close to the stall speed I am at. (There can be considerable difference in the stalling speed between that of a lightly loaded aircraft, and one that is flying at its MTOW) For a STOL type aircraft, it provides peace of mind when flying very slowly and also talks to me through my headset when close to the stall, all without needing to look at the ASI, therefore allowing me to keep my eyes focussed outside the cockpit on landing and takeoff. 

It reacts instantly to a change in altitude. It's for situations where you need to fly an altitude very accurately, such as a busy city airport with dual runways.

Once you get used to it, you can have one eye on the VSI in those situations and make tiny, immediate, adjustments on the stick or yoke.

Directly comparing it to the EFIS fitted as to Jabirus, I found them much less responsive, so you could lose or gain more altitude and if you were fussy about maintaining accurate altitude it was easier to fall into a series of under and over stick movements.

Is your AOA/LRI a Bendix unit?  I have considered these but at present they are pretty pricey. Or, perhaps your instrument is another brand?

The Bendix instruments came out on top of comparative reviews when I read about them about three years ago. Perhaps there are more cost effective (but still functionally effective) units on the market than the Bendix. I am not aware of any.

Hi Perry  I see you have an 'Aviasport' oil pressure gauge; did you hook up an led indicator lamp off the back pin (green arc off, yellow caution arc blinking and red arc led is illuminated) very good at getting attention if ever you have low oil pressure.  I hooked up the CHT and Oil Pressure and also when the starter solenoid is engaged (On rare occasion the solenoid will stick on and damage the stater and drain the battery.)  Cheers and best wishes and flights for the New Year 2020.

Pietenpol Air Camper and Rainbow Cheetah XLS.

[ATTACH]42831[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]42832[/ATTACH]

One of these I like a lot more than the other :)  

The other by the way is the same panel as I'm working with, mine is a Bushcat

• Agree 1

When my Brumby 610 was being built in 2014-5, I had the panel setup so that it could be flown as basic analog, (ASI, ALT,BALL,CLOCK,COMPASS - located high on windscreen), or 'full' panel with the Dynon attitude instrumentation in it. I also decided to do away with a mess of small engine instruments and had them included within a Dynon D180.

The purpose of this was to allow students to receive better 'attitude' training, and for them to be trained on only the basic analogs in use on many other aircraft. Collating the engine instruments allowed for a full sized radio stack, plus a biiiig gloveb.... oops, sorry, a 'document stowage facility' to be located in front of the instructor.

761816504_24-8554750020-12-16.thumb.jpg.f9cff5b7b0138e44abbb4ee66e372058.jpg

• Like 3