How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

Guest Machtuk

Things are going to get a lot uglier very soon! Now that Tigers are no more the hysteria will filter down all the way to us little guys, I expect restrictions for ALL of us soon!

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew from Canberra to Wagga and back on Monday. Flight training at Wagga was going ahead and there were only five Rex planes about. The Wagga airport cafe was closed. I'm glad I took lunch.

Canberra and enroute radio were very very quiet save for a few light aircraft and the odd flying ambulance.

Now that Tiger have stopped flying, any day is a good day for doing circuits.

The only sticking point on Monday was that the Canberra SSR was broken so we were using procedural separation in the terminal area. There weren't enough aircraft around to make a difference so I wasn't delayed

One of the best places to self isolate is at our aerodrome. When I got there I was the only person on 90 acres. The weather was good so I went flying as I thought it may be the last time for a while. CTAF was silent the whole time except for one transmission from a medivac helicopter. On return 2 other hangar owners were there in their own hangars.

• Like 3

The answer to that, I believe (the National Cabinet decision was weeks ago), was that domestic flying was legal to March 31, when it ceases.

Private flyers should be aware that your enemies, the suburban sprawlers will be the fiorst to notice the obvious private flyers from the noise and will be racing for their phones. Don't worry about CASA, the Loackdown fines are about $20,000.00

Normally in the Moorabbin Training area I see hundreds of aircraft a day. The day before yesterday there was one Cherokee, yesterday one R22, so pretty close to 100% compliance.

The answer to that, I believe (the National Cabinet decision was weeks ago), was that domestic flying was legal to March 31, when it ceases.

Private flyers should be aware that your enemies, the suburban sprawlers will be the first to notice the obvious private flyers from the noise and will be racing for their phones...

First I’ve heard of private flying being affected. Re the spread of the China flu - What’s the difference between me driving my car or me aeroplane ?

• Agree 1

Guest Machtuk

First I’ve heard of private flying being affected. Re the spread of the China flu - What’s the difference between me driving my car or me aeroplane ?

No difference, just some like to keep the hysteria alive!

There comes a point where the so called cure IE eveyone locked away is worse than the disease! No point in destroying what's left of this country to protect the minority week! We each can be responsible for our own protection!

Your car should have been sitting in your driveway for about a week, except to go out to the essential services approved by the National Cabinet (which I listed here), such as to get food at supermarkets, take children to school, get takeaway food from restaurants, get your hair cut - the list will be on your State Government sites now, but NSW and Victoria are about to go into total lockdown because of the number of cases.

The messages have been clear when you listen to the direct announcements by the Prime Minister and Chief medical Officer, and the State Premiers and Chief Ministers at their press conferences, but what's coming out in the press starts to get watered down, causing some people to be confused.

The Prime Ministers advice was "If you aren't sure something was allowed, don't do it because you stand the chance of picking up an infection or giving it to someone else"

This confusion will be solved in Victoria and NSW when they go into total lockdown in the next day or so. What was suggested about a week ago was that food packs would be delivered to your door house by house. The RAAF was mobilised, I think Tuesday to move cargo around, so maybe they will deliver to country towns, nothing's been announced yet, but watch for press conference by Daniel Andrews of Gladys Berejiklian. The other States might have a brief relief for a few days, but Stage 2 doesn't let you drive around the place for recreation, like having a bit of a fly.

! No point in destroying what's left of this country to protect the minority week!

I am not trying to convince you of anything Machtuk but it is important to understand that those "weak" or not all extremely old or unwell people.

Mortality rate of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Spain as of March 22, 2020, by age group

Super-fit cycling fanatic, 40, with no underlying health conditions, battles COVID-19

12-year-old girl with coronavirus is on a ventilator and fighting for her life

I would suggest that many forum members would fall into the "weak" category due to being over 60 or having hypertension or perhaps diabetes or who have or have been treated for cancer.

I do understand the great damage being done to the economy, My super has lost over 40k but I expect it will bounce back eventually and in any case the money would be irrelevant if I was not here to enjoy it or having to live permanent lung damage.

• Like 1

Machtuk, I understand Boris was going to try that one till overwhelming evidence of large numbers of dead people resulting, changed his mind. (Votes) Trump takes a look after yourself first view. (Always). The economy (MONEY) being more important than (some) people. Where does that point of view end? . I don't want to live there. I was born into a war about that. Nev

I do understand the great damage being done to the economy, My super has lost over 40k but I expect it will bounce back eventually and in any case the money would be irrelevant if I was not here to enjoy it or having to live permanent lung damage.

That's a very important point Octave, in addition, don't look at the tens of thousands of paper money you have "lost", look at the percentage, and that will stop the heart flutter.

Before the crisis the indices represented X dollars per unit.

Now they represent X -about 30% - you still have the same number of units, but they are worth 30% less.

During the GFC I had friends who sold over a quarter of a million of their Super "Because if we don't it could be worth nothing in a few weeks"

So they sold their units for around $270,000.00

Now fast forward to the end of the GFC where the indices regained that 30% and sellers pushed them 10% above the starting point.

(a) I still had all my units, so I not only retained my original super $ value, but my units gave me a 10% increase in balance at the end of the GFC.

(b) My friends had sold their units when the indexes were 30% down, and parked the money in their bank.

At the end of the GFC their devalued indexes only bought them part of teir original balance because they had to pay round 40% more for the same amount of units.

This is not financial advice, but illustrates what Octave is saying.

At the current stage of the Coronavirus stage the indices are around 30% down, and may go down further, but when workers get out and about, and governments pour money into job schemes and businesses, and they start to get an income again, the indices will reflect that.

• Like 2

That's a very important point Octave, in addition, don't look at the tens of thousands of paper money you have "lost", look at the percentage, and that will stop the heart flutter.

Very true, the best advice is to do nothing rather than to lock in the losses when the market recovers. I am actually quite optimistic that when this has past the market will recover. I have even bought some shares at what I regard as bargain prices.

Interesting times.

• Like 3

...it is important to understand that those "weak" or not all extremely old or unwell people.

Mortality rate of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Spain as of March 22, 2020, by age group

Super-fit cycling fanatic, 40, with no underlying health conditions, battles COVID-19

12-year-old girl with coronavirus is on a ventilator and fighting for her life

I would suggest that many forum members would fall into the "weak" category due to being over 60 or having hypertension or perhaps diabetes or who have or have been treated for cancer...

An interesting link there - “Super-fit cycling fanatic...”

Read the article and find that his wife is a ‘nutritionist’... ?

Search “Anna Schuchman” and she comes up. Cross check to photos in the “Super-fit” article confirms.

It would appear to me that she advocates a plant heavy diet - brief search does not see any direct no-meat claims though she lists many fruit piccys...

https://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/food/healthy-habits-you-can-stick-to-in-2020-from-ace-lifestyle-1.495199

She pictures a bowl of fruit as healthy! ? ...looks more like a sugar bomb to me..?

Is any of the above relevant to the China flu..? ..may-be not, though yet another interesting factoid adding to our knowledge.

Of note: what do vegetarians and vegans lack - “Vitamin B12 and iron are also essential for the production of haemoglobin which carries oxygen in the blood...”

Edited by Flying Binghi

An interesting link there - “Super-fit cycling fanatic...”

Read the article and find that his wife is a ‘nutritionist’... ?

So what is "supposition" here?

Is any of the above relevant to the China flu..? ..may-be not, though yet another interesting factoid adding to our knowledge.

I have not seen any epidemiological evidence of this but perhaps you can point me in the direction of some evidence.

The use of the term chinese flu is just dumb, no nothing to do with racism but it is caused by the CoV-2 virus it is not flu.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I just got back from a beautiful local flight this morning. Never below 1000AGL except on takeoff and landing at the deserted airfield. Didn't touch anything that anyone else had touched or will touch. Isolated all the way...... Just common sense......

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Your continued reference to Covid-19 (Coronavirus) as China flu is incorrect, shows an anti Chinese bias and is bordering on racism.

I just got back from a beautiful local flight this morning. Never below 1000AGL except on takeoff and landing at the deserted airfield. Didn't touch anything that anyone else had touched or will touch. Isolated all the way...... Just common sense......

with a potential $20,000 fine.

with a potential $20,000 fine.

The flight complied with all self isolation guidelines. If you can go and get a haircut, then there should be no problem driving alone to and isolated paddock with a shed, where you takeoff alone, land and return home , alone, all without any interaction with anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Your continued reference to Covid-19 (Coronavirus) as China flu is incorrect, shows an anti Chinese bias and is bordering on racism.

Hmmm... I hadn’t given it any thought before..? ...just using the term “China virus” because people I deal with day-to-day outside of forum land use the term.

I do now see some benefit to the term..?

Kgwilson, imagine a new Corona virus type were first noticed in Australia and the world called it the Australian virus - would you then say those using the term Australian virus were racist ? ...Spanish virus perhaps...

Kgwilson, if you can offer up a coherent argument re the Australian virus scenario and racism then I will reconsider using a term I hear on a daily basis..?

Me and a few million Uyghurs await an answer...

Meanwhile, back to considering why oxygen in the blood might be important to those suffering from the China virus...

Very true, the best advice is to do nothing rather than to lock in the losses when the market recovers. I am actually quite optimistic that when this has past the market will recover. I have even bought some shares at what I regard as bargain prices.

Interesting times.

In other words........"I'm alright Jack".

On sunday in victoria we were about to move into a society where your movement will be completely restricted except for a few prescriptive exceptions as detailed by the state. By monday we had moved to an alternate strategy where the status quo remains but groups of activities are progressively deemed illegal. Flying a plane has not yet been deemed as such.

In other words........"I'm alright Jack".

uumm is that what you think I am saying? Perhaps you could be more specific? By the way I have also lost (at least temporarily) my work and being self employed I do not get any paid benefits.

I am not necessarily 100% convinced that I "will be alright Jack" I merely expressed my optimism for a strong economic recovery (for all) when this is over. And it surely goes without saying that I have sympathy for anyone suffering economically from this (as I am, although I am not complaining).

I think your interpretation of what I said was a little wide off the mark :smile:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The flight complied with all self isolation guidelines. If you can go and get a haircut, then there should be no problem driving alone to and isolated paddock with a shed, where you takeoff alone, land and return home , alone, all without any interaction with anyone else.

I explained the psychological reasons for allowing hairuts.

Anyone who wants to contaminate themselves or anyone else doesn't have to read this.

Even if open recreational activities were legal, if you are infected and from your example,had an accident on the way over or back, you could contaminate the people you might be helping or the emergency workers or vice versa if they were contaminating.

If contaminated people have been pressing the button or using the wash basin at your local airfield, then even though there's no one there you can pick up the virus for several hours after they leave, and then spread it to your own family.

The health people and the Premiers aren't looking for your interpretation of whats fair, they are dealing with a population of all sorts of people from health professionals to grumpy old men, and they are hitting us with blanket bans that in ordinary circumstances would have waited for definitions and public comments. They don't have the time to do that, so the confused will be some of the victims. That's what happens in a crisis.