E-Props ...who has first hand experience with these

eightyknots

On 26/08/2021 at 9:35 AM, RossK said:

get yourself an early MX5, old british sports car dynamics, with japanese reliability, and one of the sweetest manual gearboxes you'll ever shift.

oddly enough I want to go in the opposite direction,
had a 1999 NB, still my favorite car I've owned and the one I should have never sold.

(full exhaust, cold air intake, reinforced fender arms, reinforced chassis rails, reinforced transmission crossover, strut braces, roll bar)

I want to get a sprite. because its still an affordable vintage car, and I reckon they just look like fun.

Edited by spenaroo

Hey Skippy

Your always doing compares to a Sonex...just had a call this morning from a guy who bought a Eprop from me who just re engined his Sonex with a 1500hr used Rotax 912ULS..I got the prop for him a while ago now. They flew it yesterday and they still have not got the prop adjusted correctly yet and expect more speed. At 5000 rpm the Sonex now does 145kts and the airspeed indicator has been calibrated and certified just recently..at 4500 rpm it was doing 130kts.

Just some info for you

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

Hey Skippy

Your always doing compares to a Sonex...just had a call this morning from a guy who bought a Eprop from me who just re engined his Sonex with a 1500hr used Rotax 912ULS..I got the prop for him a while ago now. They flew it yesterday and they still have not got the prop adjusted correctly yet and expect more speed. At 5000 rpm the Sonex now does 145kts and the airspeed indicator has been calibrated and certified just recently..at 4500 rpm it was doing 130kts.

Just some info for you

Very interesting Kyle - Thanks for the info. Still looking for a suitable aircraft.

Small point: My reference aircraft is a Sonerai 2,VH SGS,  built by Robyn Austin: http://www.worldrecordplane.com/aircraft-development-story

and

and

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/vh-srs-170-knot-sonerai-ii.34596/

Kyle - first my apology (you will see why) - saw a very interesting unsolicited claim for a Sonex/Rotax 912 ULS , fitted with GA Eprop - 140 knots True at 5300rpm, 8000ft and apparently very smooth/low vib. Allowing for "fishing story" that pretty darn good.  

Have tried to find it again, to pass on to you, so far no luck, that's what I am apologising for.

No problem. I can only go off what the users tell me the figures they get compared to what they had before. If he is getting 145kts now and the prop hasnt been dialed in yet..I think he may hit 150 kts maybe even more. He was pretty excited on the phone when he rang me

Some info I got from the factory today.

The prop has been released but there will be a delay as they had planned to ship them assembled but it is way too expensive. So they are now going to ship them so you must assemble them but they want to get very good instructions and videos done to make sure they are assembled correctly which of course they need to do as there are a lot of mechanically challenged people out there. Although for the cost you would think the purchaser would get someone knowledgeable to assemble it. I know they have a stack of orders from Europe for them and also now here from Australia. I think there is going to be a bit of a wait for them.

On 25/08/2021 at 2:58 PM, skippydiesel said:

Really!!!!!?????

I guess it takes all sorts - give me function over form any time.

You would get much better function if you hired someone to fly you where ever you need to go, be it in a Cessna or on Virgin. Cheaper, faster and you would have SO much extra time. (Of course, if you have very specific circumstances, like flying to muster or commute between two rural properties, then this post is me being wrong.) 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

You would get much better function if you hired someone to fly you where ever you need to go, be it in a Cessna or on Virgin. Cheaper, faster and you would have SO much extra time. (Of course, if you have very specific circumstances, like flying to muster or commute between two rural properties, then this post is me being wrong.) 

I understand your comment but fail to see your aviation point - we pilot are own/hired aircraft, mainly drive our own cars, ride are own motorbikes/horses - none of these are rational economic/safety decisions but once committed to one or many, we than have to decide what is important to us, in the conveyance of choice  -looks/ramp/sex appeal or performance. Occasionally they combine into one sublime creation but not often.

My apologise to any supporters out there but the worst example of "Ramp Appeal"(form) ,  that springs to my mind, would be the Harley Davison motor cycle - almost completely impractical, fuel guzzling, noise maker and as ugly as sin and if reputation is correct, handles like a" dead dog on ice" BUT loved with a passion, that defies understanding, especially by me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Why insult people who like a bike with a good finish that you can enjoy without breaking the speed limit?. They are not fuel guzzling either. That's a furphy as regards the modern stuff. It's electronic fuel injection.

Each to his own anyhow but your critical statements might carry more weight IF you had ridden one and their value doesn't drop away like many others so the Market makes a  decision there. They meet noise emission standards when sold  like any other machine .  If you go across the Nullarbour and up the centre you'll see quite a few  even some pulling trailers. They are not designed for racing  and are suited for highway cruising even two up with a level of rider comfort you won't get on many bikes. Nev

• Like 1

15 hours ago, facthunter said:

Why insult people who like a bike with a good finish that you can enjoy without breaking the speed limit?. They are not fuel guzzling either. That's a furphy as regards the modern stuff. It's electronic fuel injection.

Each to his own anyhow but your critical statements might carry more weight IF you had ridden one and their value doesn't drop away like many others so the Market makes a  decision there. They meet noise emission standards when sold  like any other machine .  If you go across the Nullarbour and up the centre you'll see quite a few  even some pulling trailers. They are not designed for racing  and are suited for highway cruising even two up with a level of rider comfort you won't get on many bikes. Nev

Didn't intentionally insult anyone - Did insult a motor bike.

Each to his own Nev.

My view of the general run of HD's is they are 98% promotion & 2 % something else (bling?).

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

If you don't know much about them why pile it on? Harley owners get a bit sick of this rubbish.  You didn't respond to any points I made either.  Nev

Actually I pretty much coved my position/made my response on this topic,  in my last line.

Its many years since I did any serious motor bike riding/touring - back then you would be hard put to go past a Japanese or European bike - HD's being a reflection of a particular movie, rather than a serious motorcycle, didn't really rate.

Many years back, accidently called in on Sturges, USA,  never seen so many geriatric,  leather clad, aviator dark glasses, wannabes in one place, the bling was dazzling - couldn't get out of the place fast enough😁

• Haha 1

It's not surprising to find aeroplane blokes like motorbikes. Nearest thing to flying, I reckon.

In my case, I convinced the wife to approve flying by comparing it favourably, safety wise, with motorbikes. About this time, we just happened to see the aftermath of several motorbike accidents and this helped my case.

But here on the farm, I like my ag-bike and having this fall over on me, I wonder how you could right a bigger bike if it fell over...  maybe this explains biker gangs?

• Like 3

You certainly need a bit of strength which you tend to lose as you get older. Also some bikes are high in the seat and have the mass high up and they are difficult to even get your leg over. This high seat makes many bikes unsuitable  for shorter legged people. A lower engine centre of gravity helps too.. A proper sidestand  is needed that won't sink into soft surfaces and built properly so it's not dangerous if left down a bit. Some unmentionable bikes have crashbars and even legshields. If crashbars are fitted it only falls to about 50 degrees.. Nev

4 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I was also on the road to Sturgess once and thought those bikes were perfect for the dead straight, dead flat highway. They should be fitted with autopilot.

I think I saw George, on the road to Sturges, I may be mistaken but he looked positively skeletal, no signals, no response, just the occasional body part falling of.😁

It all depends how you lift a bike up,

if you use the proper technique and maximize your leverage its possible.

back when I worked at a Harley dealership we did ladies only nights. one of the activities was putting a bike on its side over rubber matting.
demonstrating the proper way to lift. and then getting a lady from the crowd to then lift it by herself.

• Agree 1