Parafield Airport - more clowns having a whinge....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-28/parafield-airport-australias-busiest-prompting-noise-complaints/12821210

I still chuckle when a (toothless) guy asked why planes can't do touch-n-goes over the gulf where they won't disturb anyone.

The airport was there long before the houses. They are not that loud living next to the Main North road would be way louder. People just like to complain.

Allowing touch and goes at RAAF Base Edinburgh would spread the noise out a bit and give the students a different airfield to land at.

I live on the eastern flight path into Parafield and the lack of traffic has been really noticeable since March. My late mother in law lived on the western approach and enjoyed seeing the aircraft fly over, particularly at night - she found it somehow comforting that all was well in the air (world). 

• Like 1

Once again the meeja starts bashing aviation. When was the last time it published anything about "petrol heads" altering their cars' exhaust systems for more noise, or the lack of silencing on motorcycles? 

I live on a minor feeder road in a residential area. It has a 50 kph speed limit, but that doesn't stop people creating a hell of a lot of noise as they race from one roundabout to the next. Poorly silenced, high revving engine are a constant annoyance. I can even hear vehicles dragging off from the traffic lights on the main road half a kilometre away. Now and again, a light aircraft will overfly my place, or I can hear the glider tug clawing its way to release height. The difference is that aircraft pass over my home with their engines set at a fixed speed, so the noise is a steady drone, and from more than 1500 feet away. 

I should also mention the noise from whipper snipers, grinders powered saws etc that my neighbours (and me) use.

There is an old saying, caveat emptor, which basically means "do your research before you buy". If you are going to buy or rent in an area, find out the sources of noise if you are noise-sensitive.

• Like 2

There are constant letters to the local paper in Toowoomba complaining about noise at the airport which was established in 1913. Many of them whinge about the helicopters that keep odd hours. Rescue choppers are the only ones that fly there at all hours and if they are flying late it's because they had to go and fly someone to hospital.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Why are motorcycles exempt from the vehicle-noise rules? I know that the appeal of a Harley lies partly in the noise, but this is so for muscle care too and they have to be muffled.

They're not exempt; I checked into it at one stage and found that you could order the bike with no mufflers and Harley straight-through pipes.

Drive-by motor vehicle noise limits are legislated by ADR20/01, External Noise under the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.

This is a Commonealth Act, mirrored by every State and Territory.

Penaties are high, Yet I've never seen a cop show the slightest interest in stopping a Harley for excessive noise, or even taking action against Harley dealers for fitting the illegal pipes.

• Informative 1

On 28/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, Jabiru7252 said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-28/parafield-airport-australias-busiest-prompting-noise-complaints/12821210

I still chuckle when a (toothless) guy asked why planes can't do touch-n-goes over the gulf where they won't disturb anyone.

Parafield is protected by Existing Use Rights under Planning laws, but I wouldn't be calling the objectors clowns because even I'm aware that hundreds of illegal flights have taken place during the C-19 Pandemic, often in line astern, so a noise repeated seven or eight times in a row, per group flight several times a day.

There is likely a noise issue there due to behaviour, and it would be wise for airport management to take some fly neighbourly action, before someone starts taking measurements and having restrictions instigated like there are at some other locations around Australia.

From SA EPA fact sheet:

Noise from domestic premises can include music and party noise, band and drum practice, trail bikes, revving motor vehicles, hammering, and other non-mechanical construction noise. When it interferes with the enjoyment of an area by any person living in or otherwise using it, the noise becomes environmental harm. Due to the nature of these incidents they do not require a noise measurement and can be subjectively assessed by an authorised officer taking into account the time of day and background noise level. SA Police are authorised officers for the purpose of making subjective assessments and in many instances, subject to work priorities, can make this assessment especially if the noise is occurring during the evening, night or early morning. If the complaint is about a machine for which maximum permissible noise levels and times for use have been set, noise levels will need to be measured by an authorised officer. The SA Police will only undertake subjective noise assessments.

Clearly un-enforced

10 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

even I'm aware that hundreds of illegal flights have taken place during the C-19 Pandemic,

In the liberated stated of South Australia flying was never illegal, unlike that place called Danistan

• Winner 1

we seem to be whinging ................. about people whinging

the human condition is terminal which helps

and OME I always notice your comment about traffic - exhausts and wheezing turbines - you need to excavate a bunker and retreat to there

Whinge: to me the worst thing would be live next to a person that incessantly whistled - good whistling would be bad - bad whistling would be murderous 

Having spent time with the very nice EPA people and others including councils etc. so that I could fly a helicopter into my work premises in Adelaide, I can tell you that under current Federal legislation both locomotives and aircraft are exempt from noise pollution laws.

Now this does not include CASA and others who believe they can control your activities....but you better make sure that you do not infringe any other laws, bylaws etc or they will get you.

An example.....I live in a semi rural area, the council rings up and says we believe you land a helicopter onto your property....I say yep and its none of your business quoting various previous examples and test cases....a bit of bravardo.......see pprune for more in depth discussion.....Anyway he then says well you are correct, now about that shed you have on your property !!!!

Fly neighborly.

when doing circuit after circuit, on 33  especially low level at Cowra I try to ensure I dont fly over the same farm house/ homestead  again and again !

and when doing simulated EPs  I try not to head for the same paddock again and again ....

and when flying on 15  on Cowra, I climb steeply in that direction and then turning back over the town on downwind, I reduce power and fly over that end of the town with reduced noise...

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 3

Dealing with airport noise is itself a headache for airport operators. The Bankstown Airport Master Plan Chapter 5  Page 43 and following goes right into this subject.

https://smafiles.blob.core.windows.net/balmasterplan2019/191128_Bankstown Airport Masterplan-Final_C_web.pdf

Studies of aircraft noise impacts presented for Bankstown Airport were carried out using the United States Federal Aviation Administration-approved Integrated Noise Model (INM) Version 7.0d. This internationally recognised, computer-based noise simulation model calculates contours from an analysis of the contribution the various defined aircraft and their operations have on the overall noise emissions from the Airport. The resulting noise ‘footprint’ can then be used to assess the relative impacts that different aircraft and operational procedures have on the surrounding area.

2 hours ago, Schmacko said:

Having spent time with the very nice EPA people and others including councils etc. so that I could fly a helicopter into my work premises in Adelaide, I can tell you that under current Federal legislation both locomotives and aircraft are exempt from noise pollution laws.

Now this does not include CASA and others who believe they can control your activities....but you better make sure that you do not infringe any other laws, bylaws etc or they will get you.

An example.....I live in a semi rural area, the council rings up and says we believe you land a helicopter onto your property....I say yep and its none of your business quoting various previous examples and test cases....a bit of bravardo.......see pprune for more in depth discussion.....Anyway he then says well you are correct, now about that shed you have on your property !!!!

You raise an interesting point.

While in theory a shed without a Planning Permit/Building Permit may receive Council action from  a friendly "Suggest you put in a planning/building Application" to an isnstruction to demolish, I have experienced cases where during the planning process (probably at VCAT) the circumstances under which the infringement was discovered resulted in it all coming to a halt and being thrown out. Can't remember the details, but for someone facing a demolition order a few hours on Austlii might be fruitful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RFguy said:

Fly neighborly.

when doing circuit after circuit, on 33  especially low level at Cowra I try to ensure I dont fly over the same farm house/ homestead  again and again !

and when doing simulated EPs  I try not to head for the same paddock again and again ....

and when flying on 15  on Cowra, I climb steeply in that direction and then turning back over the town on downwind, I reduce power and fly over that end of the town with reduced noise...

.....and that would be a good defence for the airfield if they ever came under fire.

• Like 1

Do any of our aircraft have exhaust outlet pointing UP instead of down. Does it make much difference to ground noise footprint if done ???

glen

Edited by RFguy

The most annoying noises I hear are slow moving helicopters and the even worse motorbikes. For the power used the motorbike is horrendously noisy. A 600hp truck can pass my place but I will not usually hear it, but motorbikes seem to always be apparent and even worse is the young lad with a two stroke who can't get above 2nd gear.

8 hours ago, old man emu said:

Dealing with airport noise is itself a headache for airport operators. The Bankstown Airport Master Plan Chapter 5  Page 43 and following goes right into this subject.

https://smafiles.blob.core.windows.net/balmasterplan2019/191128_Bankstown Airport Masterplan-Final_C_web.pdf

Studies of aircraft noise impacts presented for Bankstown Airport were carried out using the United States Federal Aviation Administration-approved Integrated Noise Model (INM) Version 7.0d. This internationally recognised, computer-based noise simulation model calculates contours from an analysis of the contribution the various defined aircraft and their operations have on the overall noise emissions from the Airport. The resulting noise ‘footprint’ can then be used to assess the relative impacts that different aircraft and operational procedures have on the surrounding area.

I had a look over the Parafield Master plan and the majority of the noise above "permissible" levels is over the airport and the industrial area to the east. If any houses are affected they are probably in an industrial zone and those poor bastards are probably copping complaints as well. Some people are never satisfied - even though they end up sitting on their front verandah in their bogan couches complaining that there are no jobs.