Flight planning

Short answer - yes.

But flying for 30 years ish i can still do and have some paper maps, vtcs etc,  but why with all the gadgets these day. 

Edited by SSCBD

I'm all for using modern aids for many tasks. How much more have I learned since I got a computer and was able to connect to the Internet? However I don't believe that one can benefit from them without knowing the basic principles of the job they are doing for us. We have to know the simple things, like addition and multiplication tables and basic trigonometry. From these we can understand the more complex calculations we require.

One should master the art of calculation on paper to visualise the path by which one reaches an answer. Once that is done, use modern devices for what they were intended - making Life easier. One day you might find that you have no electricity and must fall back on ancient methods.

• Like 2

On 02/12/2020 at 8:25 PM, Jase T said:

Am I the only one who still does flight planning like this??

25031B82-0111-4B0A-9A77-CE02A926828D.jpeg

For trips away from familiar territory, I do both and cheat a bit using the iPad.

I like to have my maps, with track lines, with me and open. I print out ERSA airport info for destination alternate(s) & airfields along & either side of my track. I also print out weather details. All a bit anal but I enjoy it and it gives me a sense of added security on the flight.

Jase T - YES. This is how I do it, and how I do it when I fly. 

I learn much more about what the I and the plane will actually have to do en route .

IE this is pre-loading my brain with important information. 

-What I will fly near/over (and thus plan a diversion around something I cannot land on/glide over)

-What  ground fixes there  are around me  and how it might look from the air which aids navigation en route

-A feel for what the track might do with varying winds, so I am in better shape to figure it out when I am off-course enroute.

I also overlay my track onto a satellite image (google earth if available) to give me more information than a WAC or VNC.

I enjoy the mental exercise, and the discovery of errors when I do a sanity check.

GLEN.

Edited by RFguy

I find this a bit like using calculators. Why 'do' the math if you can use a calculator? I know a few folks who cannot subtract 35 from 50 without using a calculator or pencil and paper. It's sad that technology can actually makes us dumber. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

I find this a bit like using calculators. Why 'do' the math if you can use a calculator? I know a few folks who cannot subtract 35 from 50 without using a calculator or pencil and paper. It's sad that technology can actually makes us dumber. 

I find that mental skills not used, lead to mental atrophy however the basic grounding in maths/aviation/fuel calculations, etc stays with us (or at least me) so although my mental arithmetic has plummeted to almost idiot level, I still know the concepts & formulas, so use the electronic wizardry accordingly - its just another world. I am sure our grandparent & parents lamented the loss of "standards" in our generation, just as we do now.

If you are comfortable with doing it this way then why change.

The fact that you asked indicates you may like a change.

There is various programs that make it very easy to navigate, plan and review your flight along the path whilst giving you plenty of time to monitor your aircrafts performance & progress against what was planned.

What would be a good thread drift would be to ask how many people have got into trouble using the trusted electronic flight bag V those who have got into trouble with paper navigation.

Happy days 

• Like 1

I let my Avplan subscription lapse and have always backed up my nav with maps and worked out navigation. The Kane computer is an old friend.

I did once get into strife using the electronic gear. I was looking for a strip and not using the paper map, travelling along looking down and ATC called me up. Aircraft x miles Sw of Rocky do you intend entering controlled airspace? What happened was that my magenta line was exactly on the limit line of controlled space. I glanced at the line and saw magenta, but it was also blue for the airspace. It is great to have a transponder so that they can advise you before you breack airspace.

If I had been relying on maps I would have realised that I had to descend, but complacency and the magenta line led me astray.

I had seen the problem when I did the prior planning, just forgot it.

My ipad lost Gps signal in flight and I switched to paper charts..

On the other side I miscalculated winds/hdg/gs on paper, thankfully Efb picked up human error..

I now carry a backup Efb..

I use avplan and print out the track maps and ersa entries. I have lost an ipad to overheating for about 15min and reverted to maps and onboard garmin gps. Technology not designed for the purpose (ipad) will always present a risk.

When I want GPS backup I use an old Garmin Nuvi in 'off road mode'. It displays the planned track as pink lines and my actual track is displayed as a blue line. Works a treat. And you can overlay the data on Google Earth and replay it.

1 hour ago, Mewp said:

I use avplan and print out the track maps and ersa entries. I have lost an ipad to overheating for about 15min and reverted to maps and onboard garmin gps. Technology not designed for the purpose (ipad) will always present a risk.

Had the same problem Mewp, twice. Both times full sun on iPad, in winter (vents all closed). Solution for me has been to install a dedicated mini eye ball vent, behind the iPad mounting, havent had a problem since.

You know you can run avplan and ozrunways on your phone.

That's my backup.

EFB's are game changers with ADSB in and out via skyEcho, and real time weather updates the safety factor improvement alone is worth changing over from maps.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SplitS said:

You know you can run avplan and ozrunways on your phone.

That's my backup.

EFB's are game changers with ADSB in and out via skyEcho, and real time weather updates the safety factor improvement alone is worth changing over from maps.

Not on my phone - steam powered!. My backups to my iPad are : a GarminMap 96C, AvMap,  compass, maps, clock and eyeballs (in no particular order)

EFBs , and getting updated wx etc : as long as you are within phone range, and you are not seeing too many base stations, and you are within timing range of them.

Edited by RFguy