Requirement to Carry ELT or PLB.

BirdDog

So here's a question....

How many of you know the requirements of having have an ELT or or PLB when flying an RAA registered bird, and how far away that kicks in?

I learnt something new today.

25 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

So here's a question....

How many of you know the requirements of having have an ELT or or PLB when flying an RAA registered bird, and how far away that kicks in?

Further than 50N/mls and cross country endorsement.

1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

So here's a question....

Well don't keep it to yourself. What did you learn? That you need one? That you need one beyond X-nm?

And here's one not a lot of people know....Your beacon must be registered with the AMSA! 

I didn't know it was a requirement beyond 50nm from departure point.  I carry one. Always have.  Even on short little blast not far from the AD.  

I have mine on the belt of my pants - NOT in the cockpit pocket.  That way if I crawl out of a burning aircraft, the PLB comes with me. 

And yes mine is registered too.  🙂

In an ideal world I would have a single switch activated ELT in the cockpit when it goes pear shaped and one on my person if I manage to get out of the plane.

I have seriously considered adapting an existing PLB to use a toggle switch, the process to activate PLB's tends to be too long for in cockpit activation while still flying.

And I wouldn't use use any PLB that wasn't GPS equipped, it takes substantially longer to resolve the location without GPS.

And discuss ... no plb or elt is legally required regardless of distance if it’s a single seat aircraft under 95.10 or 95.32 or 95.55 ops. 

If you are a two seat aircraft then 50nm is the legal limit to fly without a plb/elt.  And that’s disregarding people on board - two seats = requirements for carriage. Single seat = no requirements. 

I’m not advocating not using one but you said discuss what you probably learned - requirements apply to only two seat aircraft and that’s regardless of them being flown solo. 

I don't need one but I carry one and it is registered. For the cost of them they are a worth while extra.

The registration is easy and as i use it for flying and bushwalking AMSA know what they are likely to find. I could phone them up whenever I go bushwalking, but that would mean every week or so changing its use.

Have always carried a PLB (registered with AMSA) located close to hand. If I have a passenger, the PLB location and activation, is part of my passenger briefing.

In my view, should an accident me imminent/likely, a PLB (differentiated from a ELT) must be activate  befor contact with terrain. Pilot & passenger may be incapacitated by the impact but the PLB will hopefully have sent out its signal and may continue to do so.

• Like 1