Pre Loved Aircraft Wanted

Yesterday we went to Bendigo from Edenhope and it went just fine. Yes it is a lot faster, 120 knots asi was standard, and that is faster than the 90 knots of my SK. ( nobody wants to buy my sk so far ) .Max CHT's all about 120C which I still think is too good to be true.

For some reason I don't understand, it is a bit easier to land too. It maybe the extra inertia?

Anyway, I tested the CHT sender ( no 2 ) that I pulled out and put into a candle flame. Well this sure made the sender go into the red fast.

Does anybody know a testing substance which changes state at about 200 degrees and 1 atm pressure? ( cheap would be good too).

I would like to do this again with the sender dipped into something which was about  200 degrees.

Bruce I have some GALDEN, it goes from liquid to gas abruptly at 230deg C...   (not cheap). Used for inert  vapour phase electrical soldering.

Note : factory 24- J230 ASI reads usually about 5 to 6 kts HIGH at 120, so its really 115.... (says the book and my measurements)

Great you are enjoying it.  I find the amount of stick back in the flare  a sensitive to how much weight is in the front.  You have to put bags of concrete in the rear to get any sizeable rear CG bias....

Landing : I find always full trim (back) once I am on final (without backs of concrete in the back) ... that way , flys onto the runway pretty much hands off at 500 fpm at a  suitable throttle setting.

52-53 over the fence (no wind, no sinks) ...

I think the J230 has less/negligible  adverse yaw than the J170 and LSA55. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Yesterday we went to Bendigo from Edenhope and it went just fine. Yes it is a lot faster, 120 knots asi was standard, and that is faster than the 90 knots of my SK. ( nobody wants to buy my sk so far ) .Max CHT's all about 120C which I still think is too good to be true.

For some reason I don't understand, it is a bit easier to land too. It maybe the extra inertia?

Anyway, I tested the CHT sender ( no 2 ) that I pulled out and put into a candle flame. Well this sure made the sender go into the red fast.

Does anybody know a testing substance which changes state at about 200 degrees and 1 atm pressure? ( cheap would be good too).

I would like to do this again with the sender dipped into something which was about  200 degrees.

Could you heat up a piece of aluminium flat bar and bring temp up slowly with a flame and check temp with a heat temp gun. When at desired temp place sensor on it. The alloy will hold its temp good. Wear weld gloves and use tongs etc. may work. Cheers. 

• Like 1

One thing is bruce that  (or at least my) aircraft has plenty of everythng in the tail. that nose can still be pulled up well into the stall horn blaring. Mike (Tasmag) has said Jab also changed the AoA of the horiozntal stab at some point. 

13 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

What about lead - it must change state ,solid to liquid, within a very small temperature range?

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

lead's way to high. you can mix various alloys but better with the temp measurers easily available. Some welders use them for preheat assessment. I wouldn't put a direct flame on any sensor. Nev

What was that lead alloy that type setters (ages me) used to use  (did it have mercury as a component?) - did it have a higher/lower melting point than lead?

Molten metal that is prepared to melt at the temper figure for say a steel alloy is/was commonly used for things like springs where the temperature achieved is critical to within a narrow range. It gives a very even result and not time critical. Mercury WAS used in amalgam fillings which are a health risk. I think CADMIUM might be used but IT is dangerous also. Molten Lead is not something to play with either. Nev

Edited by facthunter

Back in history we used heat indicator crayons to indicate annealing temperature on brass. 

These are still around, search “Tempil stick” who have a huge range.

Edited by tillmanr
Added information.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

News for preloved,

Pickles are selling the ' Roulettes aircraft !.

Pilatus pc9-A,  turboprop .

And

Schleicher  ASK23,M, tandem seat gliders, with motor assistance.

No prices & no registration, on planes or trailers.

Avalon victoria.

spacesailor

You get no warranties, and no help whatsoever from the Commonwealth, or any of its agencies, on any of the aircraft, or any of the aircraft parts - you need to read the "Special Conditions of Sale".

https://www.pickles.com.au/getPublicStockAttachment?id=1020012508

(These) Military aircraft are being sold on an "As Is, Where Is" basis with no CoA, CoR or MR. Maintenance records in log books, if available. Support unavailable after purchase.

The Commonwealth will provide CAMM2 records if available, but will not vouch for their accuracy, nor their completeness.

https://www.pickles.com.au/facet-search#!/search-result?q=(And.All.keyword(pilatus)._.Salvage.non-Salvage._.ProductType.General Goods.)

https://www.pickles.com.au/facet-search#!/search-result?q=(And.All.keyword(glider)._.Salvage.non-Salvage._.ProductType.General Goods.)

Edited by onetrack

Just a random thought or two about aircraft advertising:

If you use a, when new photo, of a 15 year old aircrafts - Is it just a question of ethics or does the law require that  the photo have a explanatory caption/note ? ie is this considered miss representation?

And

Are there any repercussions for telling a "porky pie" about an aspect of the aircraft, which is unlikely to have any safety repercussions?

I'm not a lawyer but false advertising is fraud and you are seeking to advantage your prospect of selling it so....gaining from misrepresentation.

Many newspapers do it constantly so it MUST be ok . "just a question of ethics?" Maybe not a crime and as has been stated' EVERYBODY does it" so it must (again) be OK. Would 'you" wish to be know as an unethical person?. Nev

I thought those gliders with power assist were the better buy !.

Two seater,s and they look well maintained  (  I think ).

Have their own trailer ' hanger ' as a bonus.

But VH and l couldn,t get a Raa certificate.

spacesailor

I thought everyone knew, when selling an item, you used the standard eBay photo taken on dusk, the one that's 15 yrs old, and the one that is taken on the side that shows no imperfections. Oh - and you only provide one photo, taken from 50M away. Caveat Emptor!

Indulging in fraudulent behaviour is something completely different to "booming up" a well-worn product with faults, that a buyer is selling.

Fraud involves planned deception to gain benefit (usually financial), and must involve a trail of misleading and deceptive conduct, whereby the victim is tricked into believing that information provided is true, when it is demonstrably false.

As with all crimes, "beyond reasonable doubt" has to be proven in a court of law, for the perpetrator to be convicted of a fraud crime.

Edited by onetrack

My recent buying experience was a horror story,  I found an aircraft in Victoria  advertised by a broker that read as a good buy with great credentials, since I could not leave Qld to look at it I needed to find someone to fly it here to Qld, yep that could be arranged he said.  I asked the broker IF the owner could take a video of himself entering and exiting the aircraft so I could work out IF I could do same easily.  The video came back good. Now this aircraft was advertised as a 2020 model with 10 hours total time airframe and engine.  Well the whole deal went down a mineshaft from here on…..I find out it’s a 2010 kit finished and registered 2020 and the  engine 2011.  I find that the engine no longer made from around same date.   When I query about parts am told by owner no problem…….then I find out the engine is the only one of the model in Australia 😞. More due diligence finds aircrafts owner 2 years ago lamented on a blog in the U.S. there were no parts for his engine. 

So I told the broker about my concerns, he says I have first choice as there is an interested buyer in the U.S. if I don’t take it…

I said sell it, I am out of here. Next, I get the most abusive text msg from the owner working me over for stuffing him around.

So, for 3 days I think about this whole deceptive mess and decide to ring the broker…….telling him about the abusive message.

Hi says that I should not have to put up with that etc etc, then I tackled him about his deceptive advert and…….he said that’s the way all broker advertising is done!  I paused…….boiler pressure rising, fast!  I let him have it, yelled at him ’If that’s the case all you brokers are a pack of lying, rotten, unethical spiv c…..s.’The lowest of the low.  He said there is nothing illegal about the advert, I said I don’t give a f….. about the law, what you did was totally unethical…..from a fellow aviator.

I can believe he stayed on the phone, guess I have to credit him for that.   I might add that advert for the aircraft is still up with no wording change as of yesterday.  I really hope some aluminium termites sneak into the hangar and eat the machine to dust.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 2