Hours flown

Flightrite

That's pretty good:-)  I figure an hour a week at the least. There a few guys I know who barely fly from one year to another, some who own A/C. I know a  bloke who used to own an R22 heli, his final annual before he sold it was $12K & he did 12 hrs that year, any wonder he sold it! Sad to see some planes rotting away outside in the elements never/rarely being flown:-(

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I probably fly about 20 hours. It just comes down to work  demands and time available. Even though I've got an aircraft sat in its hangar on my own property. Keep hoping to fly more and rack up a few more big trips 

Alan 

20 hrs sure is low:-( I'd go crazy without a fix a couple of times a week:-) 100 min  for me up to around 150 PA. I've not flown as much over winter as the WX in Sth Vic has been bloody awful, Covid never stopped me just the man at the BOM ordering crap WX !:-)😁

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Flightrite said:

20 hrs sure is low:-( I'd go crazy without a fix a couple of times a week:-) 100 min  for me up to around 150 PA. I've not flown as much over winter as the WX in Sth Vic has been bloody awful, Covid never stopped me just the man at the BOM ordering crap WX !:-)😁

I'd love to fly more but the demands of land management keep me busy dawn to dusk. Funnily enough its flying out to look at bushfires that is when I use my aircraft a lot.

I have had only had one week 'off' this year and that week was spent building my hangar.

Cant wait to retire!🤣

Alan

Edited by NT5224

The only way to get BIG hours is to have a job in the industry,  Then you will do a lot of flying that is just work, often  at night and in crook weather which would not be your choice of the best fun time.. . Instructing, you might fly 4 different types in one day and you fill up logbooks fast with minimal details recorded.  I would rarely fly alone unless doing a ferry flight. It's good to have a routine of exercises to put yourself through to see if you've still got it. IF there's likely to be much doubt about it take an Instructor. Just coming out and doing a few circuits at a familiar aerodrome doesn't prove much. Don't look for an easy BFR Get a thorough one  where your skills and knowledge are exposed and can be corrected .  Don't fly with a COMPETITIVE instructor or someone who will just try to break you. He/she should bring out your best.. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

'BIG' hours doesn't mean BIG experience. A typical 2-4 hr fight in some push button tube interrupted by one T/off & one Ldg, doesn't add up to much over many years. The bank runner boys used to get snapped up by the Airlines in the good 'ole days as they had thinking experience not just hour after hour feet putting to sleep experience.

I knew a guy who had many 1000's of hrs instructing in the R/H seat of toy planes so his total was well beyond mine but he got passed over in one job as he couldn't fly to save himself!

I guess it boils down to $$$ these days.

IF there's heaps of repetition and fights with boredom those hours don't mean a lot. On long haul you might only get 3 landings a month as they are shared. If they are coupled (autopilot) you might as well be in a simulator.  Single pilot IFR is the most stressful of all and most  demanding. You must be an efficient "One Man Band' as distinct from operating in a two crew operation where BOTH have specific tasks depending on who is PIC on that leg.  Totally different concept. . Basic instruction and initial assy and short sector route  training is high  workload for all involved. Let's face it Most of US are addicted  and it's a bit like marriage. You are not quite sane when you  do it. . Nev

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

100 hours again this year, my average over the last 17 years is just over 104 a year, best year was 147 back in 2018, not bad for someone who doesn’t have weekday access due to the RAAF activation and can only fly weekends and when the RAAF shuts down for a month over Christmas.

• Like 6

Probably only around 20 hours but my average flight is only about 20 minutes, which i find is ample to loop, roll, hammerhead, 1/2 cuban, spin or whatever takes my fancy. I am away half the year so fly at least twice a week when home if the weather is OK.

10 minutes twice a week with the smoke on eats into the budget!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a group of four R Vs , in a diamond formation, overflying Prospect NSW. This morning.

They were proceeded by two Pit specials.

On rout to Bankstown  airport.

Any member,s from this forum, ?.

Spacesailor

Yes the local area is very famil now! Oil CO’s must have been hurting over the last two years or so. Oddly enuf corporate charter is still happening right thru this mess, who said no one’s got any money? 😉